Current Page: 15 of 19
Re: Rumours and signings
Posted by: Master Chief (IP Logged)
Date: 12 March, 2017 09:00

Fantastic news.

Don has probably been our most consistent performer over the past couple of seasons. When all fit I can't seem to reconcile what our best back row will be next season!

Agree with Rob's sentiments about Hill. He does seem to have the making of an international.

I sincerely hope that one of the senior re-signings to come is Parling. Given that Rob has alluded to only two potential new signings it would suggest that he isn't in the market for another lock if we lose Geoff. As mentioned on another thread I think we really do need him, 1. To bring on Hill, 2. To maintain real quality competition for the starting jersey (we have depth but if we lose Damian and Geoff we won't have the quality to challenge Lees and Hill) and 3. To help us to win the big games (his experience, leadership and sheer class is irreplaceable).

If there are just two signings to come then I would imagine they might be 1. Nic White and 2. Mike Brown or a Southern Hemisphere back three player, as mentioned.

That would mean that we are no longer in the market for a no.8 having missed out on Ben Morgan. Personally I would have loved to have seen that come off but despite his age I hope Waldrom has another season in him at his marauding best. IMHO he has lost a yard of pace and a little power in the last season but his work rate remains high and his cleverness (the lines he runs, his offloading, decisions on the try line etc) cannot be understated. We WILL need to find a world-class replacement next season though.

Posted by: Lowerwatha (IP Logged)
Date: 12 March, 2017 10:03

According to TRP Nic White is definitely on his way to us from Montpellier, it also stated that the contract extensions for Don Armand and Jonny Hill would be announced today. There is also a good article on Matt Kvesic which is worth a read if you get the chance,

Posted by: Tribester (IP Logged)
Date: 12 March, 2017 20:05

I thought I'd dropped this name in before, Malakai Fekitoa

where's he going link

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/03/2017 20:07 by Tribester.

Posted by: Lowerwatha (IP Logged)
Date: 13 March, 2017 12:43

Quote:
Tribester
I thought I'd dropped this name in before, Malakai Fekitoa
where's he going link

Wasps, Sarries or maybe Bath could afford him but I reckon he will be brushing up on his French!

Posted by: Tom A Hawk (IP Logged)
Date: 13 March, 2017 19:06

I see Stade Francais and Racing Metro as of next season will be merging to form one club. An intresting move considering this is two top flight clubs

[www.planetrugby.com]

However on the other hand there is likely to be a couple of contracts not picked up by the new entity.....

There is also quite a few top players in both sides that will make one heck of a team..

Posted by: fatheralice (IP Logged)
Date: 13 March, 2017 20:23

Rumours too of Super rugby being reduced to 16 teams -ie 2 Super rugby teams being axed - with the Kings in SA and maybe the Rebels in Aus favourites for the chop.

Would throw a spanner in the works for Parling if that rumour was true.

I imagine the Rugby agents are being kept quite busy between the Paris merger and this!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 14/03/2017 14:39 by fatheralice.

Posted by: Shy Ann (IP Logged)
Date: 14 March, 2017 11:31

In TRP it says we've signed Freeman from Jersey and Haining has gone to Briz. Don't know if this is accurate.

Posted by: barnychief (IP Logged)
Date: 15 March, 2017 18:13

Quote:
Master Chief
Fantastic news.
Don has probably been our most consistent performer over the past couple of seasons. When all fit I can't seem to reconcile what our best back row will be next season!

Agree with Rob's sentiments about Hill. He does seem to have the making of an international.

I sincerely hope that one of the senior re-signings to come is Parling. Given that Rob has alluded to only two potential new signings it would suggest that he isn't in the market for another lock if we lose Geoff. As mentioned on another thread I think we really do need him, 1. To bring on Hill, 2. To maintain real quality competition for the starting jersey (we have depth but if we lose Damian and Geoff we won't have the quality to challenge Lees and Hill) and 3. To help us to win the big games (his experience, leadership and sheer class is irreplaceable).

If there are just two signings to come then I would imagine they might be 1. Nic White and 2. Mike Brown or a Southern Hemisphere back three player, as mentioned.

That would mean that we are no longer in the market for a no.8 having missed out on Ben Morgan. Personally I would have loved to have seen that come off but despite his age I hope Waldrom has another season in him at his marauding best. IMHO he has lost a yard of pace and a little power in the last season but his work rate remains high and his cleverness (the lines he runs, his offloading, decisions on the try line etc) cannot be understated. We WILL need to find a world-class replacement next season though.

I still can't see why we would be going for a SH back 3 player. Our quality on the wings suggests that he will be looked at primarily as a full back but unless Lachie Turner is on his way out, I don't see what will be gained. I thought Turner had a great game last weekend and I struggle to remember a bad appearance from him this season. For me, he is challenging Dolly for the 15 shirt and it's only Dollmans' repeated surges in form that are keeping him out.

Posted by: Delboy92 (IP Logged)
Date: 15 March, 2017 19:00

Totally agree barnychef Lachie Turner has come into his own. Great try last weekend and you could hear him organising the defence from ETC total commitment in attack and defence

Date: 15 March, 2017 19:10

I also agree. I am not advocating for a back three player but commenting on rumours that we are after one. I would welcome giving Turner more game time. Dollman has been great for us but I feel that Turner has that little something extra.

Posted by: Moorsman (IP Logged)
Date: 15 March, 2017 22:21

Exciting new player news tomorrow morning Chiefs Twitter

Posted by: fisher (IP Logged)
Date: 15 March, 2017 23:46

Please dont let it be Brown as I dont think he has yet to learn to pass the ball!

Posted by: OldWing (IP Logged)
Date: 17 March, 2017 12:20

Like fisher, I'm relieved it's not Mike Brown. Excellent though he is in many ways, I don't think he'd fit in down here - not least, again as has already been said, because of his extraordinary reluctance to pass the ball to anyone else.

Posted by: Currychief (IP Logged)
Date: 20 March, 2017 21:41

Luke Morahan off to Bristol... That reduces the options from this thread. To be fair, we are fairly rich with our backs options. Still to see the best from so many....

Date: 20 March, 2017 21:56

They're adding some real quality. But they have a year in the Championship to go first. And they will need more than a sprinkling of stardust to compete when back in the Prem.

I wonder if he was the player we were after. If not I hope it is Tim Nanai-Williams from the earlier list... Wonder if LittleBigChief can shed any light??

Agree that there is still more to come from current squad members. Lachie Turner has shown up well when he has been given a chance.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 21/03/2017 05:08 by Master Chief.

Date: 20 March, 2017 23:08

In general I agree with you MC. Although I would have Turner as a starter based on what I have seen recently. Also, Dennis has been fantastic for us. He has stepped up quickly when we were short of all being aware this might not have been his best position, to play back row throughout our run from 7th in the Premiership. A major part of our success so please let's not go back over the "Aussie internationals" piece. They have adapted quickly and are now Chiefs. We are in a great place because of their contribution. We don't know who RB considers 1st team starters either..

Date: 21 March, 2017 05:04

Fair point curry. Retracted.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 21/03/2017 05:08 by Master Chief.

Date: 21 March, 2017 07:20

Cheers MC

Posted by: Blue feather (IP Logged)
Date: 21 March, 2017 14:11

We are in a great place because of their (Aussie) contribution. We don't know who RB considers 1st team starters either.
+1 CC
There seems to be a trend developing for multi position players and I think we have a good mix at the moment.
I'd like to see Max B developed as a speedy winger/full-back and Jack as a Full-back/winger/centre - However Rob has the nack of finding 'potential' talent for positions we did't know we needed bolstering! In Rob I trust.

Posted by: Tom A Hawk (IP Logged)
Date: 23 March, 2017 08:40

Was listerning the match commentary of the Anglo Welsh final and it was reported by Mr Microphone that Hooley and TJ are off at the end of the season. That would perhaps leave a spot at 10.

Current Page: 15 of 19
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net