'New rules'
Posted by: Blue feather (IP Logged)
Date: 08 September, 2017 16:18

Initially, (1st week) my reaction is that these changes are a game changer.
Strength at the breakdown being neutered with the 'Italian' uncontested tactic very evident (I thought that there was universal derision about this) as has the Scrum with the emphasis on the team with the ball at the put in (the 9 seems to be throwing in to the second row with a token hook from the front row well out of reach of the opposition hooker).
I'm not sure this will be to Chiefs advantage this season unless the coaching team gets on top of them (confidence reigns) but it is interesting that The All Blacks are revising their game plan with the drastic tactical switch of NO box kicks from the 9 and keeping the ball.
Last weekend was dominated by teams that keep and ran the ball. E.g. Sarries demolition of Saints in the first half.
While I love the 'running game' I think this is too much of a shift away from the heart of the 15 man game - the physical contest between the forwards.

Re: 'New rules'
Posted by: fatheralice (IP Logged)
Date: 08 September, 2017 18:46

The new ruck laws mean that if a team get the chase right, 2 attacking players arriving first will form the ruck, meaning potentially the whole defence will be offside in front of the receiver. I'm sure the box kick will remain, and if done well, will be a very effective strategy.

Far to early to call.

Re: 'New rules'
Posted by: Clyst Colt Chief (IP Logged)
Date: 08 September, 2017 19:45

This week's Brian Moore 's Telegraph Full Contact podcast has a good discussion about these areas.

As well as this, there's also a discussion with Steeno - well worth a listen

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/09/2017 19:45 by Clyst Colt Chief.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net