Current Page: 1 of 2
Chiefs 37 London Irish 7
Posted by: Lowerwatha (IP Logged)
Date: 09 September, 2017 15:56

Wasn't there, had to give up season ticket because we are moving out of the area, but listened on the radio. Made hard work of it second half but sounds like fitnes told at the death when we secured the bonus point and rounded it off well with a fifth try!

Re: Chiefs 37 London Irish 7
Posted by: ExTeddChief (IP Logged)
Date: 09 September, 2017 18:08

Was there. The wet pitch made things a bit messy at times. At one point in the second half I wondered if we had given up on the WBP but LI weren't that lucky. Solid but not vintage performance overall but a WBP is a WBP so no complaints. We're in business! smiling smiley

Posted by: Brent1 (IP Logged)
Date: 09 September, 2017 18:14

Thought Sam Simmonds was up there with the Don for MOM
5 points move forward....table shows how competitive it will be this year
Fair play to Irish they weren't and won't be push overs.

Posted by: Geronimo Jim (IP Logged)
Date: 09 September, 2017 19:13

Don't underestimate how difficult the conditions were. We gave superb pitch but in the wet it can be treacherous. And today was a bit damp.

Posted by: Zyder head (IP Logged)
Date: 09 September, 2017 21:29

Watched online at home and was impressed with our intensity and handling given the conditions. Irish just couldn't live with it first half and even with our injuries with a bit more luck last week we could have two wins in the bag.
Tougher games to come but we look in good shape with players hopefully returning from injury (good to see Heppers back in the Braves) to give us more options.

Posted by: PhilW2010 (IP Logged)
Date: 09 September, 2017 23:29

Listened to the Radio Commentary on Radio Devon.
Sounded like a good win....in tricky conditions.

John Lockyer said in commentary that there were only 8,500 there ? Then said it was what the club would have expected for a game against L.I in September?
Come off it John - you know very well that was a very disappointing attendance to watch the reining champions play their first home game in the new campaign !
Stop making excuses for the money men - a lot of people are not prepared to pay the prices, it has got ridiculous.

Be sure to treat every day on this earth as if it were your last...one day you will be right. (Jethro)

Posted by: Geronimo Jim (IP Logged)
Date: 09 September, 2017 23:41

There's fans and there's supporters.

Posted by: Welsh Chief (IP Logged)
Date: 10 September, 2017 06:35

I thought the conditions probably helped Irish more than they helped The Chiefs, and on another day Woodburn scores one of the chances before half time and we get the BP and the game wrapped up earlier. Good to have the points on the board now with hopefully more of the same next Friday!

I was surprised by the relatively poor turnout of 8,500...East Terrace North and North Terrace both looked far from full. I was expecting 10,000 ish for the first game back. Would quality of the opposition, the weather, or price rises played a part or do crowds increase as the season goes on?

Posted by: fatheralice (IP Logged)
Date: 10 September, 2017 10:33

Crowd was about par for this time of year I think - Early Sept games generally seem to be lower for whatever reason -I assume a combination of holidays, students away, lack of money post holidays and lack of general awareness all come in to play.

Re the game, the conditions really worsened in the second half, with the wind switching to straight down the pitch, combined with driving rain. Made it difficult to get out of our half, as our normal running game was too risky, giving Irish sustained territory. I was a little disappointed in their efforts with all that territory - seemed they were happy trying to stop us getting a TBP rather than scoring themselves, when they were not too far away from getting within LBP range. In hindsight, I imagine we would have kicked to the corner at the start of the second half, rather than taking the 3 pts, had we known the weather was about to switch.

5pts never to be sniffed at, and a very decent effort in the conditions. Some of the handling was excellent in the circumstances, with Nic White's service really standing out in contrast to his opposite number.

Irish look like they will provide a test for most sides, which is good to see.

Posted by: mommentum (IP Logged)
Date: 10 September, 2017 11:48

The conditions getting worst in the second half did help in the sense that at 20 points up it is a lot harder for the team chasing the game to score points. because of the conditions when London did get the ball they kicked it back to us, which didn't really harm us.

In the Braves game it looked like Freeman happy tackling all day long, and Ed Holmes happy running with the ball.

Posted by: OldWing (IP Logged)
Date: 10 September, 2017 11:55

At least the first team didn't have to cope with the conditions prevailing during the Braves' game. I haven't seen rain like that for quite a while.

I thought we played very well against a determined Irish side who, as others have said, will be no push over for anyone this season. I was impressed by Nic White, but the pack made life relatively straightforward for him by being on the front foot for much of the game. Pretty well everyone had a good game which bodes well for the future. Indeed, when some of our injured start to return (and it was good to see Heppers playing 40 minutes for the Braves), there will be much competition for places.

The ref seemed to me to have a good game, but I was surprised he did nothing about the late attack on Phil Dollman latish in the match. The opposition player went in to the tackle both late and dangerously. When you consider what yellow cards are sometimes handed out for, it seemed odd that this was not penalised in any way - despite the TMO drawing the ref's attention to it.

Posted by: fatheralice (IP Logged)
Date: 10 September, 2017 12:16

Irish Player was in the air, and didn't change his line - no issue for me. CMK said the same thing. Unfortunate for Dolly (and little Dolly!) but a rugby incident imo

Posted by: Chief Redwine (IP Logged)
Date: 10 September, 2017 13:05

Attendance was 8,536. Probably the nearest comparison last year was Harlequins in September who attracted 9,391 I suspect that the Harlequins name is a slightly more attractive draw than Irish - and Quins certainly have a decent travelling away support. That plus the threatened rain will probably explain fewer bums on seats.

That said, let's see what happens as the season progresses.

Posted by: clalan (IP Logged)
Date: 10 September, 2017 15:08

The attendance was probably less,there were an awful lot of season ticket not there as they were on holiday. If you have no children why pay the premium of a holiday in the kids summer break.
London Irish, great fans but not a big draw for the casual supporter, and the weather didn't help.
Thought we were ok ish in the conditions, but we have to step it up, we have an easy start this season, and we've already slipped up against a team put to the sword by Quins.
We have the players just need them to play.

Posted by: paulg_chief (IP Logged)
Date: 10 September, 2017 16:27

Quote:
OldWing
The ref seemed to me to have a good game, but I was surprised he did nothing about the late attack on Phil Dollman latish in the match. The opposition player went in to the tackle both late and dangerously. When you consider what yellow cards are sometimes handed out for, it seemed odd that this was not penalised in any way - despite the TMO drawing the ref's attention to it.

For what it's worth I agree with you Oldwing. Although Marshall was in the air and didn't change his line, he didn't need to raise his knee and boot, which resulted in him striking Dolly with both.

By reference to where his hands go initially, first impact was the knee into Dolly's chest.

Have seen players sliding into a ruck leading with a knee carded; this was worse.

Hope there's no lasting damage.

Posted by: Blackwater Tribe (IP Logged)
Date: 10 September, 2017 19:53

Quote:
fatheralice
Irish Player was in the air, and didn't change his line - no issue for me. CMK said the same thing. Unfortunate for Dolly (and little Dolly!) but a rugby incident imo
Thought the Irish guy went in with his foot up though!

Posted by: PhilW2010 (IP Logged)
Date: 10 September, 2017 21:02

Quote:
Geronimo Jim
There's fans and there's supporters.

Indeed there are Jim!

Fans are used to blow away hot air! This Hot air is very often produced in copious amounts by people that have nothing better to do than to antagonise people that are just as entitled to an opinion as they are!

Supporters support...but that does not necessarily mean that they have to agree with absolutely everything that happens at the club, or indeed agree with the views of some of the posters on here!
The vast majority of people on here now manage to be civil and, even if they disagree with a post, they more often than not have the decency to be respectful!

For the sake of all the other posters on here I will make this my last post!!!

Be sure to treat every day on this earth as if it were your last...one day you will be right. (Jethro)

Posted by: Blackwater Tribe (IP Logged)
Date: 11 September, 2017 06:29

Quote:
PhilW2010
Listened to the Radio Commentary on Radio Devon.
Sounded like a good win....in tricky conditions.

John Lockyer said in commentary that there were only 8,500 there ? Then said it was what the club would have expected for a game against L.I in September?
Come off it John - you know very well that was a very disappointing attendance to watch the reining champions play their first home game in the new campaign !
Stop making excuses for the money men - a lot of people are not prepared to pay the prices, it has got ridiculous.
Maybe better to make a comment like this after a few more home games!!

Posted by: andy15 (IP Logged)
Date: 11 September, 2017 09:36

A very good all round performance in very difficult conditions. Sam S my MOM looks a fantastic prospect and also great to have Dave Dennis back - I would look to start contract extension discussions now he is a very important player for us.(Sm122)

Posted by: Tribester (IP Logged)
Date: 11 September, 2017 16:42

It was good to see the players react to the new laws following the penalty try being awarded, now with no conversion kick and the threat of an immediate restart from LI. After a short try celebration, those not involved in the breakdown were sprinting back to the halfway.

I wonder when we’ll see a team strike back from a penalty try with a rushed re-start.

Current Page: 1 of 2
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net