Current Page: 1 of 2
Newcastle
Posted by: Master Chief (IP Logged)
Date: 03 October, 2017 01:33

So we have won three and lost two, however two of our wins have been against the bottom two teams, so for me this next game will be a real marker of where we are and one we should probably look to win if we have top four aspirations, despite their position in the league.

Hopefully we should I see a few players returning from this game who had missed the previous week against Leicester. It's a shame that Bodilly was badly injured last night because I would have started him at full back, given the form of the other two and that Bodilly has bided his time well. For me hopefully this is his breakthrough season, he's by far our most dangerous runner from full back and has put some good weight on.

For this game I would personally bring in a few players who have performed well for the Braves including a couple of summer signings who have showed up well. I think Hepburn showed enough against Leicester to warrant a start if he is ready and Williams has looked our best prop so far this season. The two together should add some real dynamism.

15 Lachie TURNER
14 Jack NOWELL
13 Henry SLADE
12 Ian WHITTEN
11 Olly WOODBURN
10 Gareth STEENSON
9 Nic WHITE

1 Alec HEPBURN
2 Jack YEANDLE
3 Harry WILLIAMS
4 Mitch LEES
5 Jonny HILL
6 Dave DENNIS
7 Don ARMAND
8 Sam SIMMONDS

16 Elvis TAIONE
17 Ben MOON
18 Greg HOLMES
19 Wilhelm VAN DER SLUYS
20 Matt KVESIC
21 Jack MAUNDER
22 Joe SIMMONDS
23 Tom O'FLAHERTY

Re: Newcastle
Posted by: ExTeddChief (IP Logged)
Date: 03 October, 2017 12:20

I never expected Chiefs vs Newcastle to turn out to be this big but well...we are where we are. I'd like to think we could still make the playoffs even if we did lose this one but untill we sort our away form out, we're going to have to make Sandy Park bulletproof. No idea whatsoever what to expect from this one though.

Posted by: boston chief (IP Logged)
Date: 03 October, 2017 12:39

Even with falcons much improved form this season I would still hope we can get a win at home. Whether it's a 5 pointer is questionable, given the confidence that must be oozing through the falcons camp.

I'm confident we can deliver.

Posted by: Blue feather (IP Logged)
Date: 03 October, 2017 15:52

Like Chiefs Falcons have beaten Warriors & the Exiles, they've beaten Bath and Chiefs have beaten Wasps. The difference is their win at Sharks and our loss at Tigers. I back Chiefs on these comparators.

Posted by: Lowerwatha (IP Logged)
Date: 03 October, 2017 17:46

We gave them a head start last season and came through. We need players like Simmonds and Knowles back or maybe Tom Waldrom!

Posted by: Chiefs (IP Logged)
Date: 03 October, 2017 18:19

BP win for me......No doubt.

Posted by: Zyder head (IP Logged)
Date: 03 October, 2017 20:34

I am expecting a BP win.
That's not being disrespectful to Newcastle who look a really good outfit now and we will have to work to get a BP BUT unlike Leicester they will want to play some rugby and I am sure they will want to attack us.
I wouldn't be at all surprised if Newcastle got 2 points from the game but I expect us to get 5.
Against Tigers we had almost 70% possession and territory according to the stats,if we have the same or close to it against Newcastle I don't expect us to cough the ball up as easily as we did against Tigers.
Really looking forward to the game,hoping it will be dry and both teams play their natural game.

Posted by: clalan (IP Logged)
Date: 03 October, 2017 20:49

First time for years I'm not really convinced this season, are hammer at the door long enough method needs to be tweaked, there are just to many defenders across the pitch now.

Posted by: Lowerwatha (IP Logged)
Date: 03 October, 2017 20:58

Weather forecast is dry all week with light cloud and 15 degrees on Saturday. All set for two sides who play running rugby.

Posted by: mommentum (IP Logged)
Date: 03 October, 2017 21:17

I think Newcastle have only conceded 9 tries in 5 games and 98 points, so 4 tries will not be a walk in the park.

I think the biggest concern is that the driving maul is not making the ground that it has in the past two years or tries

Posted by: lizard118 (IP Logged)
Date: 04 October, 2017 15:53

Quote:
Zyder head
I am expecting a BP win.
That's not being disrespectful to Newcastle who look a really good outfit now and we will have to work to get a BP BUT unlike Leicester they will want to play some rugby and I am sure they will want to attack us.
I wouldn't be at all surprised if Newcastle got 2 points from the game but I expect us to get 5.
Against Tigers we had almost 70% possession and territory according to the stats,if we have the same or close to it against Newcastle I don't expect us to cough the ball up as easily as we did against Tigers.
Really looking forward to the game,hoping it will be dry and both teams play their natural game.

I always find calls for 5 pointers as arrogance, whether intended or not. And the ' no disrespect intended' line, really is disrespect, when you think about it.There was a lot of it on the Bath forum prior to Newcastle playing them.
I have a lot of respect for Exeter and the way the club is run. In fact I'd say it's the best example of how to run a premiership team.
I think this will be a hard game whoever wins. It will be closer than people think, and this season the result isn't a foregone conclusion. I think the Newcastle will be quietly confident.

Date: 04 October, 2017 16:29

Sorry Lizard118 if you confuse my confidence for arrogance.
Exeter have a reputation and record of scoring tries,I think it was 9 try bonus point wins in a row in the premiership toward the end of last season and 2 out of 2 at home this season.
There have been some good sides put to the sword in that time and I expect Newcastle to give us a far tougher game than Wasps did last time!
I DO respect Newcastle and their ability to score tries from anywhere especially but as defending Premiership Champions I would expect Exeter to win (it won't always happen obviously) most if not all home games and scoring 4 tries is not unusual so why is expecting a 5 point win disrespectful?
I have already said I expect a tough game and a five point win could be a 33-32 verdict in our favour? I don't expect Newcastle to be hammered,far from it and I am hoping for an entertaining "try fest" with us victorious.
Btw,don't waste too much time on the Bath site unless you have a sense of humour......

Posted by: lizard118 (IP Logged)
Date: 04 October, 2017 16:56

No hard feelings Zyder. I only tend to go on the forums of the team Newcastle are due to play, just to get a flavour of the goings on in the other camp. Some Bath fans do have an entitlement mentality. A win at the Rec is especially pleasurable.
Let's hope for a good game on Saturday.

Date: 04 October, 2017 19:18

I was not being disrespectful to Wasps when I predicted the same, so why is it considered disrespectful now. It is purely my opinion, if I am wrong then hey ho, I will crawl back in my hole and sulk.

Newcastle have been fantastic this season and are showing top 4 form....But I still think it a BP win for Chiefs.

Date: 04 October, 2017 20:33

Quote:
lizard118
No hard feelings Zyder. I only tend to go on the forums of the team Newcastle are due to play, just to get a flavour of the goings on in the other camp. Some Bath fans do have an entitlement mentality. A win at the Rec is especially pleasurable.
Let's hope for a good game on Saturday.

No worries lizard.
It may well be a good time for Newcastle to play us from a confidence perspective but my thinking is that our lads will be itching to get out at the weekend and put right some of things they got wrong last Saturday.
Safe journey to all Falcons fans making the trip

Posted by: Monkey1 (IP Logged)
Date: 05 October, 2017 07:21

It's about time we had a win at Sandy Park so please do the gentlemanly thing & have an off day.

Did you know that Sandy Park is an anagram of Falcons bogey ground? Well it is if you fiddle the letters around & squint a bit.

Hoping for a good game no matter what the final score.

Posted by: Rafpilot2000 (IP Logged)
Date: 06 October, 2017 07:32

He folks , apologies for asking a simple question but I'm bringing my two little ones down for the game . Where other than park and ride is Good place to park for the match? Don't mind a little walk;-)

Posted by: boston chief (IP Logged)
Date: 06 October, 2017 08:50

RAFpilot2000 - You could use the rugby parking at Digby & Sowton. Signposted quite well from all entry routes to Exeter. There is a donation - I think it's 4 or 5 quid. Then it's a short walk to the stadium - just follow the crowd. You also get the delights of the wobbly bridge! Alternatively you could try Apple Lane. Again, a donation to the Exeter Foundation is the norm.

Others may have more ideas, particularly if they live locally.

Enjoy the day.

Date: 06 October, 2017 10:13

There is also close parking at The Blue Ball pub, take a look on line.

Have a great weekend.

Posted by: Otter Supper (IP Logged)
Date: 06 October, 2017 10:24

Quote:
boston chief
RAFpilot2000 - You could use the rugby parking at Digby & Sowton. Signposted quite well from all entry routes to Exeter. There is a donation - I think it's 4 or 5 quid. Then it's a short walk to the stadium - just follow the crowd. You also get the delights of the wobbly bridge! Alternatively you could try Apple Lane. Again, a donation to the Exeter Foundation is the norm.

RAFpilot2000 I agree with boston chief, Digby Sowton would be the best option.

If traveling on the M5 exit at jcn 30 and follow the signs to Middlemoor. After the services round-a-bout Apple Lane is on the left at the 2nd set of lights but does tend to fill up early. For D/S carry on to the next round-a-bout, by the police HQ, take 1st exit then left at the 2nd set of lights, all sign posted. Parking at both Apple Lane and D/S is 4.

As Chiefs has said there is also the Blue Ball, never used it but I think it is more expensive although a shorter journey from jcn 30.

Have a safe trip.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/10/2017 10:25 by Otter Supper.

Current Page: 1 of 2
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net