law changes
Posted by: clalan (IP Logged)
Date: 02 June, 2019 12:26

We keep hearing on BT and papers from certain pundits about new laws to curtail the pick and go (as its boring apparently).
Should they also look at the time allowed for the kicker, using the full minute on a simple kick to eat time as happened a few times yesterday. Admittedly our kickers could have done the same thing, but it doesn't make it right.
Maybe the referee on the day can decide whether the minute can be used that match as raining windy, or cut to 30 seconds in perfect conditions like yesterday. We probably would not have done anything with the extra minute plus yesterday, but you never know. Sarries were not cheating just playing to the letter of the law.

Re: law changes
Posted by: fatheralice (IP Logged)
Date: 02 June, 2019 12:50

bigger issues in the game to sort out than that imo.

my top 3

1) choke tackle and the reffing of players deliberately killing the ball

daylight

2) players standing in front of the ball trying to get knock downs from kicks or block passes, when there is no offside line - create an offside line within 5m of the ball at all times, where you have to come in from you own side.

3) deliberate knock downs when facing your own goal line, so no sanction if ball goes back, but pen if goes forward or in to touch - require a genuine attempt to catch or pass the ball at all times.

I'd also like to get rid of early engage scrum infringements too, but that might just be because we are so bad at them!

Posted by: Chief Cymraeg (IP Logged)
Date: 03 June, 2019 17:13

Don't need to change the law to stop the time wasting kicker, just stop the clock after a try and put it back on at the restart. They can all take as long as they like then.

Posted by: Garym (IP Logged)
Date: 04 June, 2019 08:30

Quote:
Chief Cymraeg
Don't need to change the law to stop the time wasting kicker, just stop the clock after a try and put it back on at the restart. They can all take as long as they like then.

Surely that is changing the law/creating a new one?

Posted by: Chiefs (IP Logged)
Date: 04 June, 2019 10:09

The stupid thing about the kick time, is that the refs tell them how long they have got left!

Posted by: Moorsman (IP Logged)
Date: 04 June, 2019 13:55

Quote:
Chiefs
The stupid thing about the kick time, is that the refs tell them how long they have got left!
Totally agree this is a nonsense

Posted by: Currychief (IP Logged)
Date: 04 June, 2019 19:04

If we stopped the clock, some kickers would take even longer. We all have homes to go to! I’d prefer 30 seconds limit to focus the mind be it conversion or penalty’.

Posted by: Geronimo Jim (IP Logged)
Date: 04 June, 2019 20:11

Kick time. It seems to me only fair that the kicker has time to set up properly, however, the fixed allowance is being regularly taken advantage of for other reasons.

Maybe the Refs discretion should replace a set time? After all they are expected to use discretion all through the game making hundreds of "did that offence have a material effect?" "the scrum is a mess but the ball is there, play it".

Just a thought.

Posted by: fatheralice (IP Logged)
Date: 04 June, 2019 22:06

Quote:
Geronimo Jim
Kick time. It seems to me only fair that the kicker has time to set up properly, however, the fixed allowance is being regularly taken advantage of for other reasons.
Maybe the Refs discretion should replace a set time? After all they are expected to use discretion all through the game making hundreds of "did that offence have a material effect?" "the scrum is a mess but the ball is there, play it".

Just a thought.

+1

Posted by: Axe Chief (IP Logged)
Date: 05 June, 2019 11:14

Stopping the clock seems the simple and obvious solution. The gamesmanship of using up as much time as possible for a simple kick in front of the posts just doesn't seem in the spirit of sport,..........but equally when an odd shaped ball falls over before the kicker has chance to kick it and that puts pressure, and maybe a little panic, on the kicker, is that fair?
Really I don't mind how long someone takes to make a conversion or penalty.

So I would suggest a very simple and fair solution which could overall even speed up the process.

Effectively when a try is scored, or increasingly nowadays checked, play is halted, i.e. the clock is stopped. Also, often before a penalty is awarded that too undergoes scrutiny , so play is halted, clock stopped.
So in my eyes when a try is scored or a penalty awarded that is always a natural break in play. Therefore if the officials always stopped the clock in those two instances, and restarted the clock when the kick was actually taken that would be fair all round.

It would remove the blatant gamesmanship which is creeping in, give players plenty fo chance to go through their routines and not penalise them if balls fall or get blown over.

Finally I think it would actually slightly speed up the whole process.

Posted by: DumnoniiNomad (IP Logged)
Date: 05 June, 2019 17:53

Quote:
Axe Chief
Stopping the clock seems the simple and obvious solution. The gamesmanship of using up as much time as possible for a simple kick in front of the posts just doesn't seem in the spirit of sport,..........but equally when an odd shaped ball falls over before the kicker has chance to kick it and that puts pressure, and maybe a little panic, on the kicker, is that fair?
Really I don't mind how long someone takes to make a conversion or penalty.

So I would suggest a very simple and fair solution which could overall even speed up the process.

Effectively when a try is scored, or increasingly nowadays checked, play is halted, i.e. the clock is stopped. Also, often before a penalty is awarded that too undergoes scrutiny , so play is halted, clock stopped.
So in my eyes when a try is scored or a penalty awarded that is always a natural break in play. Therefore if the officials always stopped the clock in those two instances, and restarted the clock when the kick was actually taken that would be fair all round.

It would remove the blatant gamesmanship which is creeping in, give players plenty fo chance to go through their routines and not penalise them if balls fall or get blown over.

Finally I think it would actually slightly speed up the whole process.

+1 and to add, lineouts too. Basically, if the ball goes dead, then the clock stops. I realise this risks lengthening the game, but it puts an immediate end to the cynical gamesmanship.

Posted by: Currychief (IP Logged)
Date: 05 June, 2019 19:30

Stopping the clock in this way would allow for as many cynical breathers as you want. Although it would allow for more game time, the biggest way I feel we have suffered is how the rhythm and therefore speed of our game has been disrupted.

Posted by: shendy (IP Logged)
Date: 14 June, 2019 08:20

I'd do something about clearouts at the ruck, before someone gets their neck broken.

Posted by: DumnoniiNomad (IP Logged)
Date: 14 June, 2019 09:00

Nothing to suggest that stopping the clock would have any impact on the time allowed to kick. That should remain, just not impact on the match clock.

Posted by: Lowerwatha (IP Logged)
Date: 14 June, 2019 11:40

In European and Premiership final referees have yellow carded players for repeated offences in the red zone without issuing a warning to the offending sides captains. Would like this to become the norm.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net