v Thunder - This Sunday 1pm K.O.
Posted by: cast-Iron13 (IP Logged)
Date: 29 May, 2018 15:11

This Sunday,3rd June,brings Newcastle Thunder to Stebonheath Park.

The Kick Off is 1pm

This was,of course,scheduled to be the first game of this campaign,but was postponed and it set the tone for the first few months.

A cavalcade of calamity that has taken only 14 players to Cumbria,and heavy defeats in Yorkshire.

I believe the tide is turning.Well,the tsunami is abating.

A bit more thought going into the game management and with the return of some older,wiser,more experienced heads things will improve.

The head coach of Newcastle Thunder,Jason Payne,not only dealt with the postponement in a very understanding manner but after our defeat at York went onto social media to remind everyone that he played in a game,only a few years ago,when he and his teamamates suffered a similar defeat.( That was before dual reg became the vogue )

With Thunder facing their 3rd successive defeat,after losing at home to Bradford,and away to Workington,this would seem to be the most difficult for Thunder since Jason Payne got the head coach position around mid-way through last year.

The referee is Marcus Griffiths.

Once again - this game kicks off at 1pm

Re: v Thunder - This Sunday 1pm K.O.
Posted by: Rogero (IP Logged)
Date: 30 May, 2018 06:55

I have updated the fixture list kick off time on here and on wikipedia.

Date: 30 May, 2018 15:10

A little bit of hors d'oeuvre

before the main game

Llanelli Knights Under 13s will take on newly formed Penlan Stallions Under 13s as an opener to the league 1 rearranged fixture between West Wales Raiders & Newcastle Thunder.

Posted by: Rogero (IP Logged)
Date: 31 May, 2018 09:24

Can we expect an influx of top quality Wigan reserves to don the WWR shirt on Sunday?

Date: 01 June, 2018 11:46

Quote:
Rogero
Can we expect an influx of top quality Wigan reserves to don the WWR shirt on Sunday?

A definite no.It is a long term development system - not a dual reg.( As I read it )

I think the main aim is to have a system,as at Wigan,where if first team players are injured,not available,the structures and processes are the same throughout the club,so a youngster,reserve player,or academy can just step into the first team without any major problems.

It seems to have worked okay at Wigan - and also when players return to them after time at another club.

It will be top quality Welsh lads who get the win on Sunday....

Date: 01 June, 2018 11:59

Just come across this on Twitter of Gareth Walker

regarding the Wigan connection

Interest Grows

Posted by: 40:20 (IP Logged)
Date: 01 June, 2018 16:28

Am I reading this wrong then?

West Wales Raiders CEO, Peter Tiffin stated: “We couldn’t believe it when we spoke to Matty on how passionate he was to support us. It’ll be a two way street in our youngsters get an opportunity to progress, whilst we can look at helping the young Wigan players gain an exposure to League 1 and adult rugby league that will help us build a player base that has progressed through the same system. We’re looking forward to the project producing high quality players and hopefully players that can flourish on the international stage too.”

Date: 01 June, 2018 18:49

Newcastle Thunder have added 2 young players from Halifax to their squad.

Although they have dual reg'd with Halifax,and both are in the 'Fax first team squad they are primarily reserve team players.

As there are only a few clubs with reserve sides,and therefore few fixtures,when they are not playing for their own clubs they play elsewhere for 'experience 'against older players.

I would imagine this may be the same scenario with Wigan - despite there NOT being a dual reg agreement.

Interview with Andrew Thorne on League 1 show thread.

Posted by: Penybont Crusader (IP Logged)
Date: 02 June, 2018 08:25

I dont think anyone gives a damn if its Dual reg or just having players available from Wigan as long as the side wins or is at least competitive and the club can afford the match fees.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net