2020 Season...
Posted by: cast-Iron13 (IP Logged)
Date: 21 March, 2019 09:58

Should it transpire that West Wales Raiders fail to make promotion this year

it now looks likely that Ottawa will provide one of the 2020 League 1 opposition

with New York also still in contention.

With Manchester being knocked back after requested to submit 500k I am guessing that only

overseas clubs,and possibly Liverpool,will be future new entrants.

Perez Takes Over Hemel Hempstead For Ottawa

Re: 2020 Season...
Posted by: Rogero (IP Logged)
Date: 21 March, 2019 21:59

League 1 side Hemel?

Have I missed something? Last I looked they were out of the League, or was it a year off?

Looks like RL is the next big thing in Canada.

Date: 20 May, 2019 16:06

Ottawa in For 2020 - New York Not...

Phew! For those of us short of pennies...Only one long trip.

Posted by: jd1664. (IP Logged)
Date: 21 May, 2019 13:36

Realistically itís not Hemel relocating is it? How many players will go, probably none. How many staff will go, probably none. They may choose to play their winter home games in Hemel but even that makes less sense when all the players and opponents are up north. Ok so letís go with the fiction itís an existing setup as this probably gives the RFL a good excuse for staggering the entry of the two new North American sides.

Beyond that, I struggle to see what is in it for the RFL to put so much emphasis in North America. In a semiprofessional sport that is Ligue 1, it makes no financial sense and unless you are going to wave through every North American side through to the top end of the championship or even super league then what is it all for? Cast-iron, a.k.a. Statto, may set me right on this but as far as Iím aware, no Canadian has ever played for Toronto yet. Canadians, albeit after a far longer playing heritage, are actually competitive in RU and I imagine that if you ask most neutral Canadians about the forthcoming rugby they will probably reference the World Cup in Japan rather than the rugby league. So I guess my question there, is what is in it for Canada either

Iím aware that Iím probably coming across as a bit of a killjoy in this. Whatís new? I imagine quite a few of you will be asking! That said, IMHO this is going to be seen as a passing fad, much sadly as I suspect Welsh rugby league might be seen if things do not improve

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 21/05/2019 13:38 by jd1664..

Date: 21 May, 2019 16:28

I can only recall Rhys Jacks,a half back who spent a short time at Sheffield Eagles,and at Toronto as being Canadian.

Toronto did team up with Manchester University to develop their young players but I don't think the English side of things,in the form of Brian Noble,coach,and Martin Vickers,admin,
are the best people for the task.

Ottawa have stated,via Perez,that they are in it for the long haul and to develop their own players.

We'll see who they appoint in the critical positions - and whether they spend more time in Canada - or,like Noble,spend a whole lot of time in the north of England and with the television companies in the UK.

I should think there is some money out there to persuade the players of the other code to switch to League.

It seems that they will NOT be just signing players with experience in the next league up,but starting from the bottom.

Date: 21 May, 2019 17:11

In my opinion the RFL would be better served strengthening the game in the UK. But that's just me being an old fashioned misery...

Date: 21 May, 2019 17:27

Quote:
Rogero
In my opinion the RFL would be better served strengthening the game in the UK. But that's just me being an old fashioned misery...

I think it is all about the next television deal.The larger the geographical footprint,the better.

Even if Sky viewers are thin on the ground in Canada - they may come up with their own television/media deal.

Apart from that,with 12 multi-millionaire investors involved with Toronto,they would be foolish to refuse that investment into the sport when the same number of wealthy folk are either not available,or not interested,in the sport,thus far,in the UK.

Perez keep finding the people who like the sport immediately they are introduced to it.

We should arrange for some people to kidnap him and bring him here.

Date: 22 May, 2019 12:20

With the Super League clubs believed to be running reserve sides,in 2020,almost certainly confirmed by the ending of the joint Academy run by Hull FC and Hull KR,there was the possibility of Championship clubs having dual reg agreements with League 1 clubs

Started Already With Oldham And Leigh Centurions

Date: 24 May, 2019 17:54

It seems the shock parting of the ways between Keighley Cougars,and the coach that kept

the players together,in the main,without being paid,was because the new owner was worried

about what may occur after the end of the current television deal.

The new appointment should be interesting.

So will what happens to League 1

Love Rugby League

Date: 01 June, 2019 11:01

So,it seems,despite reserve sides coming in for Super League clubs,and those clubs with certain grade Academies,it seems dual registration is still to continue.

The final words by Richard Thewlis,Huddersfield Giants CEO,on Rugby League Backchat

Final Words Spoken By One Of The Guests

Posted by: 40:20 (IP Logged)
Date: 04 June, 2019 08:22

Why don't WWR do what other clubs do and try and make the best of what is on offer? It's no use fans saying it's not fair because other teams have dual reg players etc. WWR need to step up to the plate and use the same cards other club's are playing with.

I can't see Workington saying - "bless WWR we'll go easy on them..."

As an aside what happened with the tie up with Wigan? Or did I miss something?

So many questions....

Posted by: jarrad (IP Logged)
Date: 04 June, 2019 08:36

The wigan link has ended I believe as they done nothing for us except give all their players to london skolars

Date: 04 June, 2019 08:53

Quote:
jarrad
The wigan link has ended I believe as they done nothing for us except give all their players to london skolars

Jarrad - thanks for confirming, I think this sums things up. As fans we are only ever told of good things but not the real news. If things aren't working out let the fans know.

It's a blooming tough sport and tough at the foot of the table but WWR are a semi-pro club trying to get people in through the turnstiles - as I was once told "knowledge is power".

Posted by: 40:20 (IP Logged)
Date: 06 June, 2019 08:37

Wigan are not having a brilliant season either! (Sm100)

Date: 06 June, 2019 12:49

Quote:
40:20
Wigan are not having a brilliant season either! (Sm100)

True!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net