Statistics and thoughts.
Posted by: Rogero (IP Logged)
Date: 25 March, 2019 07:27

The result yesterday was a huge improvement on last seasons two whopping defeats against Whitehaven. So I thought I'd just see how we have fared over the years against the Cumbrian outfit to see how the latest result stacks up.

WWR/Scorpions/Ironment have i beleive played Whitehaven six times and whilst never getting a positive result the scores are as follows:

2011 22-18
2012 34-18
2017 27-10
2018 66- 6
2018 84- 6
2019 30-16

This indicates an improving situation for 2019 and we are becoming at the very least competitive again, which is a huge step forward.

Bring on the Cougars (Keighley that is...)

Re: Statistics and thoughts.
Posted by: Taketheone... (IP Logged)
Date: 25 March, 2019 07:29

keighley only just got past north wales yesterday, winning by a couple of points, I think this next match could be the turning point for wwr

Date: 26 March, 2019 00:35

All we need is a win..

Posted by: cast-Iron13 (IP Logged)
Date: 26 March, 2019 16:36

Quote:
Taketheone...
keighley only just got past north wales yesterday, winning by a couple of points, I think this next match could be the turning point for wwr

What must NOT happen is for the side having moved one step forward,to make a step

backwards.

Keighley Cougars,have,sensibly,while on a winning week,today,made 2 signings.

Matt Nicholson,a forward from Championship Dewsbury Rams,where former All Golds

coach,Lee Greenwood,is doing a good job.

The 2nd Keighley Cougars signing is Liam Welham from Doncaster,who joins his brother

at the club.

This weekend Keighley host Bradford Bulls in the CCC.

** The results home and away v Keighley,last year,were NOT good **

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 26/03/2019 16:43 by cast-Iron13.

Date: 26 March, 2019 17:39

I have a feeling the Cougars are very keen to get themselves into positive points territory as soon as they can. Their last minute win against Crusaders appeared to be very well celebrated, BUT does show that they are beatable. If NWC are about the same level as WWR that is....

The week off should help our preparation too.

Date: 28 March, 2019 11:46

Our next 2 games are against Keighley,home,and the Good Friday,away at North Wales

Crusaders.

Both clubs did the double over us,last year,so any improvement on that would be welcome.

The club have announced a new signing - Matthew Powaza-Jones - an Under 16 and Under 19's

international who has been playing for the Coleg y Cymoedd.

I am hoping Keighley Cougars emotionally and physically exhaust themselves in the CCC

game V Bradford Bulls at the weekend.It Is Possible...

Date: 28 March, 2019 12:39

CI13 wrote "Both clubs did the double over us,last year,so any improvement on that would be welcome."

In all fairness CI13, everybody we played twice last year did the double over us!!!

Humour is the best medicine,

Rogero

Date: 29 March, 2019 16:22

Quote:
Rogero
CI13 wrote "Both clubs did the double over us,last year,so any improvement on that would be welcome."
In all fairness CI13, everybody we played twice last year did the double over us!!!

Humour is the best medicine,

Rogero

I thought I would be economical with the truth to cover up my lacking in mental

arithmetic and working out the blowout aggregate scores - against both Keighley and

North Wales Crusaders,last year.

I do get a bit frustrated watching other clubs getting lucrative cup draws,and

established clubs having supporters groups putting additional funds into clubs.

The other bugbear is the amount of press and media coverage other clubs receive

Keighley Cougars Television Coverage

Date: 31 March, 2019 12:55

It seems that after the demoralising defeat at Thatto Heath Crusaders

our next away opponents,North Wales Crusaders do NOT have a game until Good Friday

when they host us.

That is a long time to dwell on a defeat.

Interesting that the NWC club have to pay double the rent of their home stadium to host

a game on a Bank Holiday.

Not easy to run a club in League 1.

Our fixtures are now a bit haphazard with blank weekends,and 2 away games at Doncaster

in May.

A victory,or more,in April,should set up an interesting summer.

Date: 02 April, 2019 09:54

We must treat the Crusaders match as a game to win. They are struggling and like us have now suffered the ignominy of a Cup defeat at the hands of non league opposition, it is not pleasant.

Up next are Keighley who narrowly lost in the CC to Bradford Bulls.

Will they be tired out?

Date: 08 April, 2019 10:53

The result v Keighley Cougars was an improvement on last year BUT in 2011 South Wales Scorpions BEAT the Cougars 32 v 24 at Caerphilly in front of 505.

The complete list of results v Keighley is

46-26 lost
32-24 won
66-6 lost
48-10 lost
60-4 lost
74-6 lost
94-0 lost
112-6 lost
56-12 lost

The point of this post is simply to show we (South Wales/West Wales) were once competitive and attracted reasonable crowds. I was at the win and whilst there were a good number from Yorkshire in attendance the home team were well supported. The interest in watching RL is there but the team need to compete.

Bring on the Crusaders - we so much need a WIN.

Date: 08 April, 2019 11:21

It was interesting that Swansea were at home,at the same time,and Scarlets kicked off a couple of hours later.

Some of our followers at the game later went to watch the Scarlets.

It is a difficult one for the board of directors - do they encourage new followers to watch the side lose,or do they wait until confidence and a winning run is evident?

Already we have a large turnover of players.How many have we played,thus far?

I saw something about one club a little upset to have played 32 players - I think we top that.I also saw the Barrow head coach,Paul Crarey,mention the problem for a part time side
with the reduction in the interchange - he cannot bring previously injured players onto
the pitch to gain 'minutes' and they don't have a reserve side to get the players back match fit.

We have had a number of injuries.

We need to break the cycle - quickly.

Date: 08 April, 2019 12:00

- there is only one answer to the problem and that lies on the pitch.

The club can dress it up all they like BUT fans will come and watch a team who are winning matches. People do not want to be associated with failure. It gives me no pleasure in writing this, I would love WWR to have won a couple of games already and have a settled first choice 17. But we are not there, and appear to be some way off.

CCFC and SCFC found tens of thousands of new fans when they marched up the leagues to the top flight. Quite simply because most people want to watch winning sport, it is even more noticeable in South and West Wales. Band wagon jumping!

I would love a RL band wagon for people to jump on - we had it in the past 3,000 regulars at Bridgend.

The potential paying supporters are not interested in how the regional under 16's are doing (families will always do that) - they look at the first team and how they are doing.

Until WWR reverse the unbelievable sequence of consecutive defeats they cannot hope to build a fan base. It is nearly TWO YEARS since we avoided defeat in a competitive match and whilst it is not a popular thing to say that is THE only problem. If we won our next six matches crowds would increase tremendously, but people are not going to spend 40+ in petrol plus gate money and a drink / burger to see how many the opponents score.

I made a comment when Keighley were docked 12 points that at least it would keep us off the bottom of the table, how wrong could that prediction turn out to be?

Let us go to Wrexham and beat the North Wales Crusaders on Good Friday and start the wagon....

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/04/2019 07:45 by Rogero.

Posted by: 40:20 (IP Logged)
Date: 08 April, 2019 18:58

WWR MUST beat North Wales Crusaders. It has been too long!!

This would be the ideal time to start winning.

Date: 11 April, 2019 13:27

The next home game v Oldham just got a bit more difficult as they have re-signed

Danny Langtree back from Super League Hull FC.

( At least it prevents him from turning out on dual reg for Doncaster )(Sm74)

Date: 12 April, 2019 16:29

Doncaster have signed - The Jukebox - On Loan!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net