Current Page: 1 of 2
North Wales 70 (Seventy) v West Wales Raiders 8
Posted by: Rogero (IP Logged)
Date: 19 April, 2019 17:18

North Wales had lost all their league games to date and last time out lost to a non league team, this afternoon (Good Friday) they beat WWR 70-8!! Crusaders scored 12 tries to WWR 2.

WWR are now only 3 points ahead of Keighley who started the season with minus 12.

The first win for nearly two years seems as far off as ever.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 19/04/2019 18:04 by Rogero.

Re: North Wales 70 (Seventy) v West Wales Raiders 8
Posted by: Taketheone... (IP Logged)
Date: 20 April, 2019 00:22

This was not the result we wanted.

It looks like a record points total for North Wales too..

Ouch

Posted by: cast-Iron13 (IP Logged)
Date: 20 April, 2019 18:21

Any feelgood factor,in the sunshine,was quickly removed when the team coach failed to arrive while North Wales Crusaders were having team meetings - and warming up.

The announced 10 minutes delay did seem to be far longer.

During the NWC warm-up,Ben Stead,spent a considerable time kicking from the tee.This professionalism was rewarded with a number of good conversions during the game - and one miss of what appeared to be an easier conversion.

This is the second time we have arrived late to a game,the first time being too London Skolars,last year,which,of course,we also lost.

For the first time this year,we scored first.The try scorer,Patrick Jennings,would later score a second try,but he did sustain an injury,which appeared to be a head injury,but he remained on the field.

Ash Bateman,playing hooker,had strapping around his knee from the start.

Dalty was in at loose forward - and played very well in my opinion.

But,Morgan Jefferies was missing,so Roly Kaye changed centre positions which made new combinations on both sides.

Our edges were exposed and their new signing from Coventry,who hails from Wigan,linked up very well with his winger.

On the other wing was the very experienced Rob Massam.

Crusaders also have the experienced Huddersfield Giant,and Salford captain,Stephen Wild.

He is exactly what we are missing.An experienced rugby league head on the field who can guide our hard working,skilled players,and glue it all together.

After getting boxers and wrestlers associated with the club,it was just like the thing,that with carrying injuries,in the heat,the tackles became missed tackles down the centre in the second half.

Noticeable again,was the Crusaders support play,our was non-existent,and confidence,best summarised by Tyler Hunt again kicking restarts dead,and then missing what appeared to be an easy conversion.

It is commendable that Ash Bateman,Connor Parker et al want to play through the pain,and injury,but it is NOT in the best interests.

However,I am looking at the squad of 31 originally named as I type this and it is a bit concerning.

I have got to say that some of these 19/20 yrs old Welsh lads are doing themselves,their parents,and their club very proud.

I felt quite sickened by everything yesterday.But the more I think about it.We've got some heroes who deserve a bit more.

Lee Briers and Ian Watson should be on the phone asking if they can help.

Some rugby league family this is.

Date: 20 April, 2019 18:34

Thanks for the thoughts - always very welcome and intuitive.

I have decided to refrain from further comment for a day or two.

Have a good Easter Sunday everyone.

Date: 21 April, 2019 09:29

I think fans could do with some answers about the current state of things on the pitch. We were all very pleased with the appointment of the new coach back in August last year and he had the final weeks of the season to assess the state of the club both on and off the pitch.

The squad had been put together over the Autumn and preperation time was plentiful. But the dreadful result at Wrexham and the continued run of defeats is worrying. The coach never ducks a question and is brutally honest in the social media interviews I see, but are we in danger of repeating 2018?

I know it is not the way of things to be negative about the Scorpions/Ironmen/Raiders but when are we going to see an improvement in results? It is really difficult to keep trying to promote the club and the sport in South Wales when we are approaching our 40th consecutive defeat.

This is being written by an RL fan who only wants success for his "local" club, the thrashing at the hands of North Wales Crusaders has raised some serious questions in my mind. Our Welsh rivals had not won a game this season and then recorded what I believe is their biggest ever win.

Date: 21 April, 2019 16:52

From the original squad of 31 players,there are many we have not seen.

Many have left and many are injured - including some who are turning out to play.

I have read the London Skolars website and it seems the last 2 players who left have been

signed on the basis of how well they performed in the game at Stebonheath Park in February

I would hope a lot more background ( checks ) are done before we sign any player,moving forward.

We need players as the squad is,now,wafer thin.

It will then take time to gel as the players required will need to provide cover for all positions.

The 2 signings announced last Wednesday night are packmen.

We require halves and backs,as well.

It's a big job starting at the bottom and building up.

We've got some pretty inspirational young Welsh lads.

I think it is certain we will have to face more defeats during this campaign.

Posted by: jd1664. (IP Logged)
Date: 21 April, 2019 21:13

I think this is my first post this year. After too many false dawns I was, I will confess, very jaundiced and I resolved to say nothing without something positive to say and I even sat on my hands and ignored Rogers now deleted ďletís be Ďaving youĒ post. It seemed there was little news and lots of hype about jam tomorrow.

This was, for me, the last straw. WWR are (again) the laughing stock of the league and again demonstrating to the north that we know nothing about the game. What I donít get is that we were competitive in year 1 of the Scorpions but what happened to that? It maybe that the business model of the SL Crusaders was not sustainable but the Scorpions did reach the playoffs and were competitive. Since then, itís hard to accept after 40 ? consecutive defeats that this is how it is.

I yearned for a respectable side in this part of the world but I think the moment has passed. Put the horse out of its misery and let New York have a go.........

Posted by: jarrad (IP Logged)
Date: 21 April, 2019 22:54

JD1664 firstly good to see you post.

The Scorpions got to playoffs in year 1 because if a number of reasons
1. Crusaders in super leavue and them lending us a lot of their players like Ben Flower, Lloyd White, ell kear etc
2. The club had a lot of money back then from Phil Davies who was pumping a lot in to the club
3. There was no dual reg back then

We then had a link with wigan where we got some great players from them who are now top class super league stars including George Williams, Sam powell, Liam Marshall, logan tomkins, Dom Crosby. Which at the time was great but then when the new owners took over and we moved to Maesteg the club found themselves in a lot of
Debt including a big debt to Wigan over £30,000 The club then seen a massive fall in results with hardly any money coming in and living off the money they got from the RFL when marc lovering and neil took over there was a bit more money and we signed a few players back and things didnt work out and Marc pulled his money out leaving the club in a situation where they had a small debt and no money to pay it then Andrew Thorne took over and started a 3 year plan which year 1 was always going to be clearing the debt and making the club run without loosing moneu which we did back in 2016 the dual reg started and all the Northern clubs benefitted from it thats why the the Southern teams were all down the bottom ot the table. Nowadays Every club has dual reg and relies on it except us. Next year the RFL look to bring in a development reserve league which all super leahue clubs will have to have a team in. This then will give every club a level playing field. I understand everyone is frustrated with results but instead of putting it on a message board come down support the boys they need all the support they can get il even buy you guys a pint we could have a forum get together. The 2 players who have left were bad eggs in the club and they was found out and left. The boys who we have now want the club to develop. What a lot of people dont see is the work the club does with swansea university and coleg y cymoed we have a under 16s team who played Newcastle up there an estabished 16s team and beat them the future is bright. But we as a club need everyone to stick together. Kim is a fantastic cosch and is very approachable iif anyone wants to ask him anything at a game he will always answer.

Hopefully see you all at a game soon

Date: 21 April, 2019 22:57

JD - it is at least good to know "you are still reading my posts"

Posted by: Penybont Crusader (IP Logged)
Date: 22 April, 2019 08:08

Quote:
jarrad
JD1664 firstly good to see you post.
The Scorpions got to playoffs in year 1 because if a number of reasons
1. Crusaders in super leavue and them lending us a lot of their players like Ben Flower, Lloyd White, ell kear etc
2. The club had a lot of money back then from Phil Davies who was pumping a lot in to the club
3. There was no dual reg back then

We then had a link with wigan where we got some great players from them who are now top class super league stars including George Williams, Sam powell, Liam Marshall, logan tomkins, Dom Crosby. Which at the time was great but then when the new owners took over and we moved to Maesteg the club found themselves in a lot of
Debt including a big debt to Wigan over £30,000 The club then seen a massive fall in results with hardly any money coming in and living off the money they got from the RFL when marc lovering and neil took over there was a bit more money and we signed a few players back and things didnt work out and Marc pulled his money out leaving the club in a situation where they had a small debt and no money to pay it then Andrew Thorne took over and started a 3 year plan which year 1 was always going to be clearing the debt and making the club run without loosing moneu which we did back in 2016 the dual reg started and all the Northern clubs benefitted from it thats why the the Southern teams were all down the bottom ot the table. Nowadays Every club has dual reg and relies on it except us. Next year the RFL look to bring in a development reserve league which all super leahue clubs will have to have a team in. This then will give every club a level playing field. I understand everyone is frustrated with results but instead of putting it on a message board come down support the boys they need all the support they can get il even buy you guys a pint we could have a forum get together. The 2 players who have left were bad eggs in the club and they was found out and left. The boys who we have now want the club to develop. What a lot of people dont see is the work the club does with swansea university and coleg y cymoed we have a under 16s team who played Newcastle up there an estabished 16s team and beat them the future is bright. But we as a club need everyone to stick together. Kim is a fantastic cosch and is very approachable iif anyone wants to ask him anything at a game he will always answer.

Hopefully see you all at a game soon

Thanks for that Jarrad.

I would venture that the current situation means that the club is again destined to struggle until the end of the season - cast irons post about the struggling numbers in the squad due to no shows and injuries (which was backed up by your interview with Kim post game Jarrad) isnít good reading -especially from a player welfare standpoint. An eighty plus mile round trip to see a largely uncompetitive side isnít an appealing enough Ďeventí for anyone even longstanding RL fans, especially when any Ďsupportí on the terraces isnít going to impact on results due to a paper thin squad.

All the development stuff is laudable and good for long term development but for five years or more the results havenít been good and until that changes itís not going to encourage more people to support on a regular basis. Sad but true 😩

Date: 22 April, 2019 08:34

Stu, we still have 19 men travelling to every game where as last year was sometimes fielding 12 players we have another 8-9 players injured some short term some long term. I know kim is working on bringing more players in but as he has said he wont rush bringing the wrong kind of player into the team which will bring a bad attitude into the camp. I know as a fan how hard it is but we have 2 options heavily invest in a squad and go bankrupt or slowly develop and continue to add some experience and still have a club there becausr if the club goes bust or the owners leave there will Not be another South Wales semi pro team i can guarantee that

Posted by: Penybont Crusader (IP Logged)
Date: 22 April, 2019 08:41

Spot on about bringing in the Ďrightí players. As I said though mate I canít see this season being anything other than a write off sadly. angry smiley

Date: 22 April, 2019 09:16

We still have a chance to win a few games mate. This is a very strong league this year, NW Crusaders were very good on Friday and probably that was NW best performance in the last few years they were offloading for fun the guy on loan from Saints and Rob Massam tore us apart and the new signing from Coventry. One of the big issues we have is getting players down from North as it costs to much thats what gives crusaders the advantage as they are based in Widnes and have the luxury of getting players from up North even conference players up north can play at league 1 standard where as we have to rely on the welsh conference players its hard but very confident it will work out well in the future

Date: 22 April, 2019 12:19

Quote:
jd1664.
I think this is my first post this year. After too many false dawns I was, I will confess, very jaundiced and I resolved to say nothing without something positive to say and I even sat on my hands and ignored Rogers now deleted ďletís be Ďaving youĒ post. It seemed there was little news and lots of hype about jam tomorrow.
This was, for me, the last straw. WWR are (again) the laughing stock of the league and again demonstrating to the north that we know nothing about the game. What I donít get is that we were competitive in year 1 of the Scorpions but what happened to that? It maybe that the business model of the SL Crusaders was not sustainable but the Scorpions did reach the playoffs and were competitive. Since then, itís hard to accept after 40 ? consecutive defeats that this is how it is.

I yearned for a respectable side in this part of the world but I think the moment has passed. Put the horse out of its misery and let New York have a go.........

Some cracking posts,thanks.

With regard to New York it may mean I have to save my pennies for the travel.

While our first team results - and performances - may leave a whole lot to be desired,the amazing amount of hard work that is being put in by the club officials are ensuring that the club infrastructure is being firmed up and this augurs well for the future.We are ahead of New York in this respect.

The resilience of the young Welsh players in the squad is more than impressive and,despite the results,must act as worthy role-models to the younger lads currently on the player pathway.

As much as I get hacked off during the 80 minutes - and there are still the glimpses of better times,such as scoring the first try at Wrexham,in the back of my mind is the knowledge that so much hard work is being done that it is an absolute certainty that it will not last too much longer.

Times will change and I want to be there when it does.

The roots have to be strong for growth.It's a new club taking time.

They don't seem very happy in Wigan...smiling smiley(Sm143)

Date: 22 April, 2019 12:56

Ok CI my last paragraph was probably more out of sheer frustration than a genuine feeling to throw in the towel. Memo to self: do not post when beer fuelled!!

Some good points from Jarrod about the first year of Scorpions and itís hard to fault them. But weíve been told for the last 10? years since then that we are building for the future with youth and it doesnít make it any easier when the future never comes.

I guess itís more pain to come then.....

Posted by: 40:20 (IP Logged)
Date: 22 April, 2019 15:20

Every year we are told this is a rebuilding year we have to get the basics right and every year we don't seem to progress.

This year is shaping up to be yet another one of defeat after defeat, nobody likes criticising or being negative BUT after nearly 10 years of the same old stuff it is wearing a bit thin. It's a semi professional sport after all and a results business to boot - once again the club are falling short.

At least this forum gives people the chance to voice their concerns in a civilised manner, thanks to Roger for keeping it going.

Somebody did question last summer whether Kim Williams knew the size of the task, perhaps it is bigger than he expected?

Let's hope a win or two are just around the corner.....

Date: 22 April, 2019 15:37

Just to put things in perspective since the club (Scorpions) left Neath this is the sixth season...

In those six seasons we have won only 7 games, drawn 1 and lost 118. That is a win ratio of just over 5%.

That is why people are not flocking to the ground - and this is not a critical post it is a statement of fact.

I am delighted that off the field and behind the scenes things are in good shape but it is what happens for 80 minutes that really matters.

Date: 22 April, 2019 18:20

Yes we keep bringing Youth theough and then they go and get signed by championship and super league clubs.
Elliott Kear-London broncos
Regan Grace - St Helens
Calvin Wellington - Salford but played for saints
Sion Jones -Halifax
Curtis Davies- Halifax
Connor davies halifax
Marcus Webb - Swinton
Rhodri Lloyd -wigan then went to Swinton
Joe Burke played super league and championship
Lloyd White - Widnes now in mackay Australia

These are just a few that the club has produced and then taken away from us to progress when we develop the youth a super league or championship team comes in for some players. Young Cobi Green is flying woth Bradford Academy and has played 2 senior friendlies this year and is tipped to be a first team player

Date: 22 April, 2019 18:54

Itís an impressive list jarrad. Sadly, I guess, no-one supports WWR to improve the Halifax side and they want to see the best players we can afford playing in S Wales. Does the club get any recompense when they move on? I guess losing players to a higher club in unavoidable but if WWR get a fee or similar then hopefully this can buy players of the appropriate level.

Date: 22 April, 2019 19:05

Unfortunately they dont get a fee for it but next year the RFL money allocation will work on a number of factors the ones i know about for sure
Is clubs who develop local welsh players will get money for each player not a clue how much and also for social media thats why on the our league app for mobile phones if you can all sign up and put west wales raiders as your team helps us with money allocation.

Current Page: 1 of 2
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net