other teams struggling
Posted by: bluegrass (IP Logged)
Date: 22 July, 2016 22:39

Just looking at leaguerugby and it seems that there are a lot of teams in our league that are strugging to complete their squads Nottingham and Roth have new coaches and almost new squads pirates and London Scottish. Only have 26 players Richmond are not going to pay their players. Just on that point I was talking to players at the river festival last week and they were talking about players at championship level demanding 60k for a season. The world has gone mad, well done to Mike rayer for assembling a well balanced squad for next season.

Re: other teams struggling
Posted by: iron blue (IP Logged)
Date: 23 July, 2016 11:40

Yes it does look like a good squad, I think we’re very lucky to have Mike and his team, they always seem to find decent players. The DR system helps as well.

Posted by: Jonathan Wilcox (IP Logged)
Date: 23 July, 2016 12:19

60k, some are on a lot more. Still we think we need some experienced players dropping down from the premiership. That said I think it'll be an interesting battle at the top end of the division, with Bedford in that mix.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 25/07/2016 20:04 by Jonathan Wilcox.

Posted by: ran58y (IP Logged)
Date: 25 July, 2016 12:33

Wasn't there a recent article by a Nottingham player regarding salaries (and other T&Cs of employment).

From memory he was implying that most of the Championship players are lucky to earn £10k...

Posted by: Old blue (IP Logged)
Date: 25 July, 2016 14:05

You can get an idea of the blues playing budget from the annual accounts.
Looking at squad numbers I would estimate average salary around 20k.
Some plays on more so a few will be on the 10k -15k mark.

Posted by: Derby Irish Fan (IP Logged)
Date: 28 July, 2016 22:09

I dont know about other teams but i am sure some of our players will be at over 60k but players like Franks, Marshall, Blair will be much more but using academy players will bring the costs down a bit looks like we will have 36 to 40 squad wise, looking forward to coming down to see us play you in september.

Posted by: Old blue (IP Logged)
Date: 29 July, 2016 14:36

Derby Irish,
We look forward to seeing the Irish fans at Goldington road and there should be a good crowd and atmosphere.
Tickets are cheaper if you buy online in advance.

Posted by: compo simonite (IP Logged)
Date: 07 July, 2017 08:08

It seems ‘the pond’ has getting a bit bored and needs to lighten up......just bit..... so I have gone back and found this topic on which we were posting about a year ago.....

Come guys and girls......smile......this one’s is entitled ‘Other teams struggling’

Oh how embarrassing for some........

Posted by: Luton_Blue (IP Logged)
Date: 07 July, 2017 12:07

For this we should be grateful, we should be grateful that we went through a lot of the problems clubs now are experiencing years ago and learnt from them! We should though still have ambition and a plan that is transparent and available! I hope there's no gloating at the plight of others, because for the grace of god (or mike rayer or GI) that would be us!
I believe our great club is in good hands whether this is the right hands is another debate

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net