Current Page: 15 of 16
Re: 2018-19 Squad Updates
Posted by: compo simonite (IP Logged)
Date: 05 June, 2018 14:41

It sounds a bit like you hire a car......sometime you may have a spare tyre sometime don’t.....all ok until you get a flat.

Posted by: Jonathan Wilcox (IP Logged)
Date: 05 June, 2018 19:00

Back to the squad.
We’re still short in key positions 2,9,11/14, 12/13. I was rather hoping we would sign another scrum half, hooker and a big centre. A few years back we had 4 9’s Malone, Page, Dickson and Chudley, not saying we need 4 but we need 2 quality ones that are BEDFORD players. We were less reliant on DR’s last season and we had a settled team that wanted to play for the shirt. I prefer the idea of year long loans over DR.
M.R.A.D should be back from warmer climes and hopefully he’s been sealing some deals from his sun lounger whilst sipping a chilled beer. We may soon get some announcements and an updated web page.....

Posted by: ComeRainOrShine (IP Logged)
Date: 05 June, 2018 19:43

For once I actually agree with you, although I would add another flanker who actually has the ability to win some turn over at the breakdown and a 15. Squad does look very light in some very key areas and we haven’t adequately filled some of the holes which have been left. One of the reasons we did well last year was we could almost field two decent 15’s which we can’t do at the moment.

Date: 05 June, 2018 20:09

For once lol

Posted by: Luton_Blue (IP Logged)
Date: 06 June, 2018 09:23

we may not get any new signings apart from the season long loans and then see a few players turn up after the season has started.

We also may see some of our academy loans coming back - anybody know what positions they cover?

Posted by: WelshBlue (IP Logged)
Date: 06 June, 2018 09:57

Quote:
Luton_Blue
we may not get any new signings apart from the season long loans and then see a few players turn up after the season has started.
We also may see some of our academy loans coming back - anybody know what positions they cover?

That's probably a very good assessment as to what is going to unfold ahead. Can't see us making any decent signings now as it appears the boat, boats or armada have sailed. Unless something miraculous happens this squad will barely reach mid table. But aslong as we get 2K through the door each game, the marquee is full , and the followers had over 10K to the club then job done

Posted by: compo simonite (IP Logged)
Date: 06 June, 2018 12:57

Welsh Blue

‘Can't see us making any decent signings now as it appears the boat, boats or armada have sailed. Unless something miraculous happens this squad will barely reach mid table. But aslong as we get 2K through the door each game, the marquee is full , and the followers had over 10K to the club then job done’

Regretfully your assessment looks correct......even with my limited knowledge of rugby I would forecast that mid table is about as good as we will achieve......we are weak in the lineout and the scrum.....no defence to the rolling maul.....so long as we avoid relegation....and beat Jersey....

And before you ask......yes I have brought my season ticket.....I hope my forecast is wrong.......i doubt it....

Date: 07 June, 2018 10:39

Quote:
compo simonite
Welsh Blue
‘Can't see us making any decent signings now as it appears the boat, boats or armada have sailed. Unless something miraculous happens this squad will barely reach mid table. But aslong as we get 2K through the door each game, the marquee is full , and the followers had over 10K to the club then job done’

Regretfully your assessment looks correct......even with my limited knowledge of rugby I would forecast that mid table is about as good as we will achieve......we are weak in the lineout and the scrum.....no defence to the rolling maul.....so long as we avoid relegation....and beat Jersey....

And before you ask......yes I have brought my season ticket.....I hope my forecast is wrong.......i doubt it....
Really have the season ticket packs gone out yet ?, if so they havn't reached Wales yet, maybe that's an omen and problem solved !!!

Date: 07 June, 2018 11:19

When I coached at the blues there were a lot of players who did pre season who never made it to the league games, a fair few trialists looking for clubs but allowed to train with us

Date: 07 June, 2018 16:42

No more signings this week, maybe next....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/06/2018 16:44 by Jonathan Wilcox.

Date: 08 June, 2018 09:02

Quote:
Jonathan Wilcox
No more signings this week, maybe next....

The excitement of it all JW - any sign of the season ticket packs yet ? the sheep are getting restless up here

Date: 14 June, 2018 13:37

it looks like all the players leaving have been deleted from the player profile section on the website.

No 'new' players have been added as yet.

Big gaps in the squad need filling!

Date: 14 June, 2018 16:01

Luton_Blue, very concerning, we have a tiny squad at the moment even with DR's/Season long loans yet to be added.......

Posted by: Miss Rugby (IP Logged)
Date: 14 June, 2018 18:42

According to player profiles we have a squad of 21 (5 academy players) plus any loanees. Not a big squad at all considering somewhere that Richmond have a squad of almost 42.
We have not made any significant signings except for Flanagan. I think its not going very well at all.

Date: 15 June, 2018 08:55

You can't say that Miss Rugby - remember every post on here has to be super positive and without criticism.

We'll see what the next few weeks bring.

Date: 15 June, 2018 12:35

Quote:
Miss Rugby
According to player profiles we have a squad of 21 (5 academy players) plus any loanees. Not a big squad at all considering somewhere that Richmond have a squad of almost 42.
We have not made any significant signings except for Flanagan. I think its not going very well at all.

Totally agree - this has all the signs of disastrous season ahead, I'll pass on the season ticket, best staying up here and watch the principality, better value for money

Date: 15 June, 2018 12:40

Quote:
Luton_Blue
You can't say that Miss Rugby - remember every post on here has to be super positive and without criticism.
We'll see what the next few weeks bring.

How can you expect to be positive 6 gone this week, nobody coming in

Posted by: TryBlues (IP Logged)
Date: 15 June, 2018 13:01

The squad list hasn't been updated on the main website! Mine has been updated, although I haven't included a the acadamey players I know are staying as they haven't been announced.

Date: 15 June, 2018 13:34

Why is it that the blues are always so secretive compared to other teams? Just tell us who we have including maybe triallists

Posted by: Sugarray (IP Logged)
Date: 15 June, 2018 14:54

What utter negativity you lot too frequently drift into.. If your team hasn’t just won the league or a cup there’s nothing but moaning. I’d hate to sit or stand next to you at Goldington Road. I’d end up suicidal. Kicked off the official club website for being so bloody negative, now you are on here moaning like the two old gits on Harry Enfield and Friends.

Your lives would be all the richer if you looked at the positives. As far as the rugby club you claim to support are concerned the positives include:
For £20, watching Championship standard rugby on your doorstep.
Being part of a 2000 plus cheering crowd. (minus you 20 – all still moaning)
Dozens of volunteers and directors who put loads of time & effort into maintaining a financially viable sporting venue.
(Directors plaything – What tosh)
A team and coaching staff that continually punch above their financial weight.
A thriving former player’s section, the envy of most premier, let alone championship clubs.
A vibrant, active and vocal supporters group.
A club with over 125 years of sporting history – including great, average and yes, not so great results.

Just cheer up and stop moaning. As far as this year’s team is progressing – you don’t know – the season hasn’t even started yet, you haven’t seen a single match and your predicting mid table mediocrity or bottom half finish. Of the pack that got us 3rd in the championship last term– that’s the 15th highest place in the country, - 12 are still with us this season !!, plus 2 former forwards who have returned with premiership experience. How the hell can anyone claim we are weak in the forwards? – more tosh.
As for the backs, we have a choice of quality distribution from ten, including an international. We then have a back line up that will frighten all championship clubs. Robling and Coulon are quality player additions in the centre and you ain’t gonna catch Lane or Adamson once they’ve been put in space. Every young scrum half in Britain who hasn’t got a premiership contract is going to want to be in the selectors shop window, by playing under the tutelage of our ex International scrum half, behind either Williams or Worthington with go forward championship ball. With the budget savings from the 11 released or retired, mike still has recruitment options depending on the positions of the 5 x loan premiership players that are available to us.

Just think positive... stop bloody moaning

Current Page: 15 of 16
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net