Current Page: 1 of 2
Matthew Tait
Posted by: pa8 (IP Logged)
Date: 11 June, 2017 13:04

The rumours section of Ruck.co.uk has said that several 'sources' indicating Tait is on his way out at Leicester and that he'd prefer a move back to the Falcons with his brother Alex and good friend Toby Flood.
Don't think he'd be an automatic starter now. Thoughts ?

Re: Matthew Tait
Posted by: AFalcon23 (IP Logged)
Date: 11 June, 2017 14:57

I personally don't think he would or should be a starter for us if he did sign. smiling smiley

Posted by: pityacker (IP Logged)
Date: 11 June, 2017 16:29

Hopefully won't sign him his best days are long gone am certain he is still contracted to Tigers for at least one season.

Posted by: Falc Dancer (IP Logged)
Date: 11 June, 2017 17:01

Rugby Paper running a story about a Leicester clear out with Tait being part of the outgoings. Personally I wouldn't take him back on, best is behind him

Posted by: steve1888 (IP Logged)
Date: 11 June, 2017 18:37

I'd take him back for sure, still a very good player and slots in well at wing, centre or full back.

Posted by: CharlieDog (IP Logged)
Date: 11 June, 2017 21:20

Don't need him - I'd rather strengthen elsewhere (prop)

Posted by: Falcons_Thunder (IP Logged)
Date: 12 June, 2017 06:13

Sorry I disagree with all the negative comments around Tait. He's 31 and has so much experience at playing at the higher level and also captained Leicester. Deano wants winners and Tait is a winner and a leader. He can also play 11,12,13,14 & 15 who have we got in the squad that is that versatile??

Posted by: Pool_falcon (IP Logged)
Date: 12 June, 2017 08:08

Tait's pace has really left him and he's not offering too much these days. Would be a waste with the back 3 options we have available really.

Posted by: Cantabrian (IP Logged)
Date: 12 June, 2017 09:32

If Tait comes back to KP we'll get more experience and quality to win close games.

Mermoz, Goneva, Flood, VdM, Tait, Socino, Sinoti2 plus,plus..... No opposing coach will take us lightly in 2017/18.

Posted by: lizard118 (IP Logged)
Date: 12 June, 2017 11:01

I also think he can add something to the team and would welcome him back with open arms. I also think it speaks volumes about where we're going as a club when players want to come back and play for Newcastle Falcons.
He may have lost some pace but still has a good rugby brain and useful to have in any team. I'd be happy to have him .

Posted by: dick g (IP Logged)
Date: 12 June, 2017 20:49

The return of Spud would make me a very happy old Falconista.

Posted by: Kwa444 (IP Logged)
Date: 12 June, 2017 22:00

Would be happy to have him back. At one stage he was on a pay as you play type deal with Tigers I believe. I doubt he will be expensive but his rugby brain and experience could be very handy.

Bizarrely I don't believe his career has gone that well since he left. He struggled to feature at Sale and has been solid at Tigers. Maybe we can revive his career as we did for Brookes!

I think he can be very good value at the right price.

Still need a prop though....

Posted by: alas (IP Logged)
Date: 12 June, 2017 22:34

He would be alright as a squad player, but I'd prefer to remember him at his best for the Falcons, not coming back as a diminished figure like Lam, Archer etc. We've got plenty of experienced backs.

Posted by: Monkey1 (IP Logged)
Date: 13 June, 2017 07:18

Quote:
alas
We've got plenty of experienced backs.

That's what makes me think that this particular rumour sounds a bit unlikely.

Posted by: Benpj17 (IP Logged)
Date: 13 June, 2017 07:31

All depends on hammers injury progress I suppose, would give us a little cover at full back with both Watson and TC leaving

Date: 13 June, 2017 12:05

Will give a very versatile, experienced bench man for matches. An injury free run may well see him return to close to his peak.

Definitely good cover to an injury from 13 outwards.

Posted by: alas (IP Logged)
Date: 13 June, 2017 12:28

His best depended on pace to make an outside break. He's not going to get that back. Can't see any place for him on the wing where the Falcons already 3 experienced quality players and some top class prospects. 15 would be the only position where he could add something.

Posted by: eebagum (IP Logged)
Date: 13 June, 2017 17:40

Dont think we need to be a Falcons Old Boys XV but Matt would be a seriously good addition to the Match Day Squad at least.Can cover 12-15, and dont forget we had our first choice back three( or four of them) all injured at some stage last season...even 3 of them at the same time!

Date: 14 June, 2017 07:30

That's my point.

It all depends on the price. If he would be paid the same as our top earners then he is probably not too good value. If he is on a more standard pay grade then he would be excellent value.

His versatility makes him.so useful in the dark days of the season when we have injuries.

I agree he has lost some pace but it was never the outside break that made him particularly good, it was his running lines and ability to read the game. Clearly though the more pace you have the more you can make of those chosen lines though.

Posted by: mannin (IP Logged)
Date: 14 June, 2017 11:17

Loud rumours that they're also shipping out Croft, Kitto, Pietersen and McCaffrey. McCaffrey would fit in brilliantly at Newcastle (although we have big back row numbers).

Current Page: 1 of 2
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net