Current Page: 1 of 3
Pre season games
Posted by: pityacker (IP Logged)
Date: 04 July, 2017 11:37

I see we have a double header home fixture against Doncaster and Nottingham and Rotherham at home the week after with the away fixture not announced yet. Disappointing that we are once again not getting top class opposition .

Re: Pre season games
Posted by: JustAnotherOnlooker (IP Logged)
Date: 04 July, 2017 12:14

Agreed, one of them should be against Leeds, Glasgow or Edinburgh. That said the friendly up at Murrayfield last year wasn't announced until the back end of July so here's hoping.

Posted by: alas (IP Logged)
Date: 04 July, 2017 16:12

I suppose season ticket holders are getting 3 games compared to 1 last season (though no sevens), but it is boring playing the same second tier opposition year after year.

Posted by: Monkey1 (IP Logged)
Date: 04 July, 2017 18:51

At the Supp Club meeting last week Mick Hogan explained that it is a real struggle to get Premiership clubs or even Glasgow to travel this far just for pre-season games. Most clubs tend to make them local derbies, but we don't exactly have a shed load of local teams to choose from. If we want games against such clubs then we have to do the travelling.

It certainly isn't for the want of a bit of effort, they do try but it is hard going.

Posted by: Kwa444 (IP Logged)
Date: 04 July, 2017 20:08

I would have though it's would be good to have decent opposition in one game before the season even if we have to travel. It's not as though a game in the US is out of the question.

That said we had a similar set of warm ups last year and you can't fault the outcome, so perhaps it's actually the right way to go.

Posted by: exhooker (IP Logged)
Date: 04 July, 2017 21:53

Seems OK to me. All we really want is reasonable opposition, a chance to try out new combinations and plays and give the squad a decent run.

Posted by: markismith50 (IP Logged)
Date: 05 July, 2017 07:22

"I would have though it's would be good to have decent opposition in one game before the season even if we have to travel."

We have an away game against a Pro 12 side on the last weekend in August, which we will announce once the host club have decided on the venue and kick-off time.

Date: 05 July, 2017 11:00

Quote:
markismith50

We have an away game against a Pro 12 side on the last weekend in August...

That means Edinburgh & a cracking away trip.

Posted by: pityacker (IP Logged)
Date: 05 July, 2017 12:16

I enjoyed our trips to the borders to play Edinburgh but indeed if it is Edinburgh again they may be deciding on Murrayfield or their new smaller venue.

Posted by: telfs123 (IP Logged)
Date: 05 July, 2017 12:30

Quote:
markismith50
"I would have though it's would be good to have decent opposition in one game before the season even if we have to travel."
We have an away game against a Pro 12 side on the last weekend in August, which we will announce once the host club have decided on the venue and kick-off time.

South Africa then?

Date: 05 July, 2017 13:34

Could be - after all they are thinking of playing a few Pro 12 games at 'home' in the Allianz!

That would be a pretty cool pre season game.

Interesting to see if the Saffer side get access to the European tournaments after the first season. Could mean that we get to play them in the near future if so. Make a good variation for an away trip, though I guess the travelling might not be ideal for the team. Same argument as for the Cheesy game I guess.

Posted by: alas (IP Logged)
Date: 05 July, 2017 17:35

The Saffers don't need a preseason. They'll be carrying straight on. Edinburgh in the Borders would be a good day out.

Posted by: Osric (IP Logged)
Date: 05 July, 2017 21:26

Zebre? Taxi back after a few beers?(Sm63)

Date: 06 July, 2017 05:37

Really? Neither Saffer side expected to move, will play a game after the 14th July based on their league position. You don't think they would want a game in nearly 2 months before the season starts? Seems unlikely, as you can easily lose match fitness in that time.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/07/2017 05:38 by Kwa444.

Date: 06 July, 2017 05:55

OK guys, I can clarify we are not playing a South African team.

Date: 06 July, 2017 06:09

All Blacks?

Posted by: Running Rugby (IP Logged)
Date: 10 July, 2017 15:21

When do the players come back in for pre season training?

Posted by: CharlieDog (IP Logged)
Date: 10 July, 2017 16:01

Last week I think?

Date: 11 July, 2017 12:12

The lads started on June 12, most new signings July 1.

Posted by: London_Falcon (IP Logged)
Date: 17 July, 2017 14:43

Final pre season is away at Doncaster on Sat 26th August.Guessing that the PRO12 team let us down?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 17/07/2017 15:18 by London_Falcon.

Current Page: 1 of 3
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net