Current Page: 1 of 2
Falcons Owe Ospreys Money!!
Posted by: Falcons_Thunder (IP Logged)
Date: 10 September, 2017 09:34

Newcastle Falcons have been threatened with legal action by Ospreys over their purchase of centre Josh Matavesi, reports The Rugby Paper.
The North East club have reportedly failed to pay the full £150,000 transfer fee for the Fijian speedster.
It’s been revealed that the Welsh club have demanded the overdue money, believed to be £80,000 after the Falcons made an initial payment of £70,000.
“They made one payment but refused to pay the rest,” revealed a source.
“Then it got to the stage where they wouldn’t talk about it. They left us with no other option but to issue and statutory demand.
“They will have to settle or face some serious consequences. It just goes to show that all is not as well in the English game financially as some say it is.”
A statutory demand for the recovery of a debt is the first step to wards high court proceedings.
If payment isn’t made within three weeks of receiving the notice, the creditor can then decide whether to petition for bankruptcy or issue a winding-up order.

A senior figure of Newcastle nevertheless has replied saying: “The money will be in Ospreys bank account on Monday.
“We were a bit late paying but it’s all been agreed and sorted, as of yesterday.
“We have work through it with Ospreys and there are no longer any issues.”

Re: Falcons Owe Ospreys Money!!
Date: 10 September, 2017 09:35

It's embarrassing for the club

Posted by: Monkey1 (IP Logged)
Date: 10 September, 2017 09:47

This sort of thing should never go public, but for all we know there may have been 'issues' that the Rugby Paper didn't mention, either because they don't know or because it would spoil their story. Stories are rarely as clear-cut as they appear in the media these days.

Date: 10 September, 2017 09:54

Quote:
Monkey1
This sort of thing should never go public, but for all we know there may have been 'issues' that the Rugby Paper didn't mention, either because they don't know or because it would spoil their story. Stories are rarely as clear-cut as they appear in the media these days.

That's why I'm saying it's embarrassing. Tho did we buy Matavesi out of his contract?

Posted by: NorfolkFalcon (IP Logged)
Date: 10 September, 2017 10:12

I've seen this discussed on twitter for the past month. I'm sure it will be settled soon.

Posted by: pityacker (IP Logged)
Date: 10 September, 2017 10:13

He had a year left at Ospreys and the norm is you pay the salary he would have earned or a negotiated settlement which in this case is £150,000 when it was announced we signed him most people presumed he had been released from his final year as at the time nothing was mentioned about a release fee but obviously he cost a few Bob.

Posted by: mannin (IP Logged)
Date: 10 September, 2017 11:00

Why are we paying 150k for Matavesi is the bigger question. He's a good squad option but that seems a bit of a reach.

Posted by: Wensleydale Falcon (IP Logged)
Date: 10 September, 2017 11:21

TRP only telling one side of the story so no embarrassment on our side in my opinion.

I would be confident that their was an underlying issue as to why this balance payment had not been made.

Posted by: pityacker (IP Logged)
Date: 10 September, 2017 11:33

Quote:
mannin
Why are we paying 150k for Matavesi is the bigger question. He's a good squad option but that seems a bit of a reach.

I read an article in which Josh Matavesi outlined how he had been approached firstly by a phone call from Goneva a Fijian team mate asking if he was interested in joining the Falcons as Deano was interested in signing him , as he was under contract the terms of his release must have included a payment which obviously Richards felt was worth it and he was given a salary and length of contract which he said was excellent for his and his families future.

Posted by: pa8 (IP Logged)
Date: 10 September, 2017 13:44

Quote:
Wensleydale Falcon
TRP only telling one side of the story so no embarrassment on our side in my opinion.

I read TRP every week and some of the stuff that goes in isn't well balanced to say the least.

Posted by: Kwa444 (IP Logged)
Date: 10 September, 2017 13:58

Could as easily be that they are short on stories of interest and Falcons are making the most of an agreed payment duration.

Most businesses and wealthy people take the full 90 days to pay. I doubt Falcons are any different.

Posted by: Rugbyears (IP Logged)
Date: 10 September, 2017 19:51

I must say, stories such as these do fill me with fear. Club financial difficulties would an unmitigated disaster.

Posted by: digitalsys (IP Logged)
Date: 10 September, 2017 20:14

Storm in a tea cup methinks

Every manufacturing company I have worked in doesn't pay their bills until they are absolutely due, and usually a bit after that.

It can be a pain but welcome to the world of business at the shatp end

Posted by: Rugbyears (IP Logged)
Date: 10 September, 2017 20:29

Quote:
digitalsys
Every manufacturing company I have worked in doesn't pay their bills until they are absolutely due, and usually a bit after that.

I fear there may be more to this. Why draw unwanted attention to the fact we were late making a substantial contractual payment, it leads only to negative speculation. I sincerely hope you are all correct.

Posted by: CharlieDog (IP Logged)
Date: 10 September, 2017 20:56

Quote:
digitalsys

Agreed - nowt to worry about..... goes on in most businesses and probably most rugby clubs. Soar grapes from Ospreys to make a fuss..... I'd put money on the fact they don't pay all their bills on time.

Posted by: Margin_Walker (IP Logged)
Date: 10 September, 2017 21:07

Quote:
CharlieDog
Quote:
digitalsys

Agreed - nowt to worry about..... goes on in most businesses and probably most rugby clubs. Soar grapes from Ospreys to make a fuss..... I'd put money on the fact they don't pay all their bills on time.

I'd say it was pretty shrewd from the Ospreys. Have a chat with a journo about an outstanding debt for Sunday's papers. Get paid on Monday. Job done.

Posted by: dick g (IP Logged)
Date: 11 September, 2017 08:25

This "story" is straight out of the Daily Mail handbook. Splash on the most dramatic, shocking line to hook people in and then lower down, or on the continuation on the inside, put the fact which makes the whole thing a non event. It is an example of what I have dubbed the journalism of smear, sneer and fear. It is not a lie, but a distorted way of telling the truth. TRP should be ashamed of its descent.

Posted by: Wensleydale Falcon (IP Logged)
Date: 11 September, 2017 11:09

Personally I wouldnt even give it discussion time on here.....close the thread and forget about it!!!

Posted by: Rafpilot2000 (IP Logged)
Date: 11 September, 2017 15:10

Agreed. It is pretty poor form for a club to discuss financial transactions in this way. It's a non story and not something we should be getting unduly worried about.

Posted by: Monkey1 (IP Logged)
Date: 12 September, 2017 06:17

Quote:
"It just goes to show that all is not as well in the English game financially as some say it is.”

That's a bit rich coming from Ospreys Rugby who are listed as maximum risk on Experian due to 'significant issues' and who have a credit rating of £0.

Current Page: 1 of 2
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net