Current Page: 1 of 2
Falcons / Gosforth Best Ever XV
Posted by: GeordieFalcon (IP Logged)
Date: 04 October, 2017 11:11

Was just thinking about the players we've had through the years...for all we're seen as a smaller northern club, by god we haven't half had some good players on our books though.

What would you say was the best XV ever...

Re: Falcons / Gosforth Best Ever XV
Posted by: aidanb (IP Logged)
Date: 04 October, 2017 13:07

I will start the debate with

Nick Popplewell as our best ever Loosehead

Posted by: alas (IP Logged)
Date: 04 October, 2017 13:50

If you are including the amateur era I would go for Colin White. The Falcons have got the best set of hookers they have ever had, but Ross Nesdale still unsurpassed as an individual player.

Posted by: lizard118 (IP Logged)
Date: 04 October, 2017 14:15

Is it possible to compare players from different eras when the game has moved on and the players are so physiologically different?
From a strength and conditioning point of view I'd imagine many of the players from 20 years ago would struggle upfront against the new generation although I'd imagine the skill level of the individual players would've been higher then.

Date: 04 October, 2017 14:35

Quote:
lizard118
Is it possible to compare players from different eras when the game has moved on and the players are so physiologically different?
From a strength and conditioning point of view I'd imagine many of the players from 20 years ago would struggle upfront against the new generation although I'd imagine the skill level of the individual players would've been higher then.

But we are comparing apples with apples

You can assess the skills and quality of Bobby Vickers in the modern game and see if his performances now were better than the skills, quality and performances of Nick Popplewell in his time.

The job is still similar, scrumage, lineout, ruck and maul etc..

I rate Popplewell as the best loosehead we have ever had

Posted by: A tramp abroad (IP Logged)
Date: 04 October, 2017 15:50

Difficult to make comparisons which include both amateur and professional eras however at prop Ray McCloughlin, two time British Lion, captain of Ireland. Equally good at tight or loose head.

Posted by: DeceptivePace (IP Logged)
Date: 04 October, 2017 19:35

Know nowt about the fat lads so will chip in with the pretty boys:
9. Gary Armstrong
10. Sir Jonny
11. Inga
12. Mayerhofler
13. Jamie Noon
14. Goneva
15. Matt Burke
No space for Rob Andrew, Takulua, Tom May, Taity senior, Toby, Tane (first time) Stevo, Underwood, Stimpson, Sinoti and more. Talk about a pool of talent.

Date: 04 October, 2017 20:23

Quote:
DeceptivePace
Know nowt about the fat lads so will chip in with the pretty boys:
9. Gary Armstrong
10. Sir Jonny
11. Inga
12. Mayerhofler
13. Jamie Noon
14. Goneva
15. Matt Burke
No space for Rob Andrew, Takulua, Tom May, Taity senior, Toby, Tane (first time) Stevo, Underwood, Stimpson, Sinoti and more. Talk about a pool of talent.

You won’t be getting the ball until you sort out some rugby players who will give the girls the ball so they can drop it

Posted by: pa8 (IP Logged)
Date: 04 October, 2017 22:49

Forwards I'll go with

1. Nick Popplewell
2. Ross Nesdale
3. Ray McGloughlin
4. Gareth Archer
5. Steve Bainbridge
6. Roger Uttley
7. Pat Lam
8. Peter Dixon

Posted by: Monkey1 (IP Logged)
Date: 05 October, 2017 06:14

Quote:
aidanb
You won’t be getting the ball until you sort out some rugby players who will give the girls the ball so they can drop it
(Sm22)

Posted by: GeordieFalcon (IP Logged)
Date: 05 October, 2017 08:11

No Doddie at lock?

Date: 07 October, 2017 06:57

Quote:
GeordieFalcon
No Doddie at lock?

Or Mark Andrews.

Posted by: Falc Dancer (IP Logged)
Date: 07 October, 2017 08:06

Carl Hayman is an absolute must!

Posted by: pa8 (IP Logged)
Date: 07 October, 2017 11:40

I did consider Weir/Andrews/Hayman but opted for Archer/Bainbridge as I think every team needs the odd psychotic nutjob in the second row so I picked two. I don’t think we saw Andrews at his best, we hardly saw him a all. Ray McGloughlin was a scrummaging guru of his time and was considered such a threat by the New Zealanders in 1971 that he and Sandy Carmichael were seriously assaulted and had to leave the tour before the first test. Officially sanctioned by the All Blacks - probably. Will we ever know - probably not.
Certainly wouldn’t argue if Hayman was chosen.

Posted by: Leipziger (IP Logged)
Date: 07 October, 2017 18:38

Hayman would be in the starting XV but surely Marius Hurter would replace him on 60 minutes.

Posted by: A tramp abroad (IP Logged)
Date: 07 October, 2017 19:01

Quote:
pa8
Ray McGloughlin was a scrummaging guru of his time and was considered such a threat by the New Zealanders in 1971 that he and Sandy Carmichael were seriously assaulted and had to leave the tour before the first test. Officially sanctioned by the All Blacks - probably. Will we ever know - probably not.

Hard to say if it was officially sanctioned but I would not be surprised if it was. Carl Hayman and Marius Hurter were both outstanding but, for me, Ray Mcloughlin was the best.

Date: 07 October, 2017 19:58

Quote:
Leipziger
Hayman would be in the starting XV but surely Marius Hurter would replace him on 60 minutes.

Hurter by name
Not on the pitch

I always wished he would just put himself about rather than just want to play it by the book. He’s a no for my side cos he wasn’t tough enough

Posted by: Monkey1 (IP Logged)
Date: 08 October, 2017 08:40

Marius Hurter wouldn't get on the team at all in the winter months, he didn't do cold.

Hayman certainly in the front row, with Nesdale which is who Baby Socino reminds me of, and McDonnel. I have been struggling to remember our second row from not too long ago who stole opposition line-outs for fun. Was it Parling?

Date: 15 October, 2017 09:02

Flanker Andy Mower has to get a mention in an all time side

There have been some great back row players at the Falcons and the current crop are in the is also.

Andy Mower was an absolutely classic 7 in the stop ball mode, if Santy Socinio is being called the Chopper then AM was the MAster Chopper. He would hit them at the knees and stop their play dead.

Absolutely brilliant player

Posted by: lizard118 (IP Logged)
Date: 15 October, 2017 11:18

Agree re- Mower. The best openside I can remember in my time as a Falcons supporter. I happily nominate Jon Golding at loosehead in the 23 man squad at least.

Both careers hindered by injuries. Mower would have played a lot more for Scotland and Golding was in the England contingent, missing out on caps due to injury.

Both never took a step back in their prime, although I recall Golding getting destroyed by Alan Paver of Cornish Pirates in our championship season.

Current Page: 1 of 2
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net