Current Page: 3 of 5
Re: Good to see Wilson in an England shirt again
Posted by: steve1888 (IP Logged)
Date: 12 June, 2018 15:06

We lost to South Africa by 1 score on their own turf in first game on tour ? I think there's been a lot of overaction tbh. Yeah some selections maybe questionable but some spot on. See where we are after 3 tests.

I wouldnt send Farrell home , he will want to be there and played well. Itoje while not his best game didnt have a shocker. Our lot are end of season and they are mid season if that.

Yes Jones is now being questioned but also has to be given the chance to put in right.

When we were poor under Deano for quite a while he was given time to fix it.

Posted by: Cantabrian (IP Logged)
Date: 12 June, 2018 17:43

I agree that there is a danger of over-reaction after just one test, but the signs didn't look promising, so I'm hoping for the second test he'll get back to a more orthodox selection, playing people in their best position together with Premiership hardened guys who've just had a good season.

Posted by: lizard118 (IP Logged)
Date: 13 June, 2018 08:31

I think people are overreacting because of the huge lead England had and lost. Not acceptable at test level imo.

Posted by: mannin (IP Logged)
Date: 13 June, 2018 08:55

It's also not just one test but a whole 6N too. SA are not the powerhouse of old either.

Posted by: Kwa444 (IP Logged)
Date: 13 June, 2018 09:30

Yes, it's all relative. If we had lost like that to the Kiwis nobody would have a problem. Even to Oz we might have thought a shame but on balance not too bad.

However, that SA squad is very new and inexperienced, as well I suspect not really as good as other international side bar a few exceptions. Therefore the result is poor. However, England haven't exactly been playing well this year anyway so it was never a given.

The issue is rather the manner and the quality of the opposition than the loss. That said everyone gets worked up about staying at altitude but nowadays international sides can train at sea level and sleep in chambers that equate to altitude.

Posted by: GeordieFalcon (IP Logged)
Date: 13 June, 2018 11:27

Had this only been down to one game you wouldn't get an overreaction as most would accept a loss to SA at altitude on their own turf.

Howevever its not...its followed a woeful 6n and poor performances prior to that.
Its been a steady decline in performance since the peak of the Australia tour!

And to add to it...key star players are looking like lost schoolboys! Itoje first up!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 13/06/2018 11:28 by GeordieFalcon.

Posted by: mannin (IP Logged)
Date: 13 June, 2018 11:45

I was on the Jones bandwagon but have been very sceptical about gameplay/selection for the past year.

A couple of weeks ago my scepticism turned into a full blown lack of belief when he was interviewed regarding the new attack coach appointment and stated that he brought him in as they didn't do any work on their attack in the 6n! Explains the performances in my eyes.

Date: 13 June, 2018 12:24

Quote:
mannin
I was on the Jones bandwagon but have been very sceptical about gameplay/selection for the past year.
A couple of weeks ago my scepticism turned into a full blown lack of belief when he was interviewed regarding the new attack coach appointment and stated that he brought him in as they didn't do any work on their attack in the 6n! Explains the performances in my eyes.

So why were we so awful at the breakdown? Do have no one coaching that either? And why is the defence like a seive?

Posted by: Benpj17 (IP Logged)
Date: 13 June, 2018 12:41

Won more turnovers than SA and had a better tackle succes rate, we lost by 3 points it was our discipline that let us down

Date: 13 June, 2018 13:18

I did watch the start of the game again yesterday and it should be said that the tries that got the boks back into the game were very lucky!

First their was Faf's - which came from Itoje leaving the door open. I don't believe Itoje tripped or fell, I think he pulled out of the tackle after going for Faf because he realised the ball wasn't out and didn't want to give the penalty/possible card.

The second try was because Daly completely missed the ball, which was clearly incompetent as evidence by the look of disbelief on Ben Youngs face. Fortune favours the brave but that's a lot of luck to haul you back into a game.

.... and some crass mistakes that you wouldn't expect in the AP either.

Posted by: Falcons_Thunder (IP Logged)
Date: 14 June, 2018 11:28

Wilson makes the bench as lock cover great for mark. Tho I could recommend and outstanding lock but hey ho. Good luck to mark

Posted by: pityacker (IP Logged)
Date: 14 June, 2018 11:29

Mark Wilson on the bench as a replacement lock , Cipriani on the bench while Robshaw dropped for Shields with Brown still on the wing and Daley at full back , we have a mad man in charge of England Rugby and the chances of winning the World Cup next year decreasing every week.

Posted by: Cantabrian (IP Logged)
Date: 14 June, 2018 12:14

My thoughts exactly pityacker.

Posted by: Bedlington Lad (IP Logged)
Date: 14 June, 2018 14:47

Quote:
pityacker
Mark Wilson on the bench as a replacement lock , Cipriani on the bench while Robshaw dropped for Shields with Brown still on the wing and Daley at full back , we have a mad man in charge of England Rugby and the chances of winning the World Cup next year decreasing every week.
I really think Eddie's lost the plot. Wilson for Robshaw - straight swap but no bring in a New Zealand reject instead

Date: 14 June, 2018 15:03

I agree we'll not win the World Cup with this idiot in charge.

Mark Wilson is a tough as steel, quality back rower...and he gets picked on the bench as Second row cover!!! Dear lord.

I said before I actually wish Mark hadn't been selected for the tour, as he'll be used for cannon fodder then dumped again for the AI's like he was dumped after a great tour last summer in Argentina.

Date: 14 June, 2018 15:45

Perhaps a little harsh.

EJ stated that he thought he needed a second rower with back row ability last week and swapped Isiekwe for Shields.

Now I thought that is why Isiekwe was selected, but clearly he didn't make the grade.

I don't think Shields is a reject, and I think Wilson fits the versatile lock/back row bench man EJ wants.

If I were to be critical of him, it is for picking Robshaw in the first place last week on form, and for selecting Isiekwe is such a torrid arena for a first cap.... but then I made that point at the time, before the game. It's a shame Eddie didn't just call me. winking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 14/06/2018 15:49 by Kwa444.

Posted by: Exiled Falcon (IP Logged)
Date: 14 June, 2018 19:17

Incredibly harsh on Shields, not sure how he’s a reject. Think he is going to be the new fall guy a la Slammin’ Sam in the last World Cup.

Really like the look of the team other than the beyond weird selection of a guy who has forged an international and club career at FB on the wing. Very odd. Would have loved to have seen Woodward and Daly play but there you go. Really pleased for Wilson, hope he goes well.

Posted by: Benpj17 (IP Logged)
Date: 14 June, 2018 21:14

Would you class Chris Harris as a English reject choosing to play for Scotland then, ridiculous comment

Posted by: CharlieDog (IP Logged)
Date: 14 June, 2018 21:37

Whoa! I'm glad I don't want to jump on the big bandwagon because there doesn't seem to be any room.......

Robshaw is cr@p......
Eddie Jones is cr@p....
Stuart Lancaster was cr@p..... (oh, look where he is now......)

Some of the "think they were great but really are has-beens" pundits** create a bandwagon and invite everyone on board.

Other than the odd choice of Brown on the wing (yes, he was sometimes done for pace - not sure the other options would have been much better? - but I didn't actually think he had a bad game at the weekend), I think this is a decent side.

** included in this list are Guscott and SCW (I don't do Sky much so can't comment first hand on their pundits)

Posted by: Falcons_Thunder (IP Logged)
Date: 16 June, 2018 18:13

Eddies England team are a walking cluster F***.

Current Page: 3 of 5
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net