Current Page: 1 of 2
Our game much better
Posted by: dick g (IP Logged)
Date: 27 June, 2018 16:13

Fascinating observing all the fuss over VAR at the Footy World Cup. Why don't they learn from us and have the issues resolved on a big screen everybody can see? But then, we need to recall that we had full-time pro refs before the round ballists. Soccer refs also need the power to do something when they are ganged up on by angry players. Perhaps by letting the penalty-taker take the kick from anywhere in ten metre circle from the spot of the offence.

The more I watch football, the stronger my conclusion that we have a better game.

Re: Our game much better
Posted by: dksniper (IP Logged)
Date: 27 June, 2018 18:54

I agree. Corny music to one side I think this youtube sums up the two games perfectly.

[www.google.co.uk]

Posted by: ouch!_that_hurts (IP Logged)
Date: 28 June, 2018 09:32

To be honest, I'm not sure that video does sum up the two games particularly well. Yes, it shows what a bunch of cheats a lot of soccer players are but the rugby excerpts appeared to be mostly illegal hits (particularly in terms of current laws) - high tackles, no-arm tackles and tackling players in the air.

I think the difference is better demonstrated by the behaviour of the soccer players in that and many other videos on YT and that of Nathan Hughes here.

With regards to VAR, it's in it's infancy and I'm not sure that the world cup is the most sensible place to trial it but before they can start showing it on the big screen, (i) it's use has to be better defined and (ii) football fans (& players) have to understand that the ref's decision is final. I'm not convinced that all of them do.

Posted by: Leipziger (IP Logged)
Date: 28 June, 2018 09:41

It's been funny to see players still arguing with the referee after he's checked multiple angles on replays. VAR seems to have been introduced in a kind-of rushed and half-baked way, with fans, pundits and probably players not 100% sure about how it works, and not using it on the big screen. And still some decisions are wrong. As Ouch That Hurts says, the World Cup probably wasn't the best place to trial it.

In rugby, the TMO doesn't ensure that every decision is right, because of course not every decision is referred and we've all disagreed with decisions the referee has made after watching the screen. However, I think what rugby does well is integrate the TMO into the drama of the game. Perhaps football will do that with VAR eventually once it's better established.

Finally... does it matter which sport is better?

Posted by: Monkey1 (IP Logged)
Date: 28 June, 2018 11:26

Quote:
Leipziger
Finally... does it matter which sport is better?

In general terms I would say not, but if one game is perceived as being better than another in a particular respect, then I think it is correct to understand the difference and to learn positively from it. For example, we don't want to lose the respect that players are expected to show to the referee and other officials, and people quite rightly say we don't want to see the game going the way that football has. The same with diving, as shown in the above video clips. We don't want to see that in rugby either. There is nothing wrong with saying that if it illustrates a merit of one game that should be preserved, but to grandly say that one sport is better than another is a bit silly.

Posted by: Cantabrian (IP Logged)
Date: 28 June, 2018 13:44

After 15 years gradually losing all interest in football, this World Cup has been very refreshing. Sure there are a few Prima Donnas but many games have been exciting with the Davids slaying a few Goliaths along the way. Everybody; Russians, visitors, fans, players and pundits seem to be enjoying it.

Now about that Springbok prop Kitshoff.....

Date: 28 June, 2018 17:07

Just to explain that I am enjoying the footy and while I think our game is better, it's a bit like saying I prefer champagne to prosecco. I wouldn't turn down a glass of the latter if that's all there was on offer. Mind, on medical grounds I am off the booze for a year.......

Posted by: London_Falcon (IP Logged)
Date: 29 June, 2018 08:13

Quote:
Cantabrian
After 15 years gradually losing all interest in football, this World Cup has been very refreshing. Sure there are a few Prima Donnas but many games have been exciting with the Davids slaying a few Goliaths along the way. Everybody; Russians, visitors, fans, players and pundits seem to be enjoying it.
Now about that Springbok prop Kitshoff.....

Yep, exactly this. I love teasing my sons (who love football and rugby) about how rubbish the former is, but I've actually enjoyed this World Cup. Sure the theatrics are still rubbish but it feels like the games have been better somehow.

I do think though that the football hierarchy is very stubborn about learning from other codes. Would yellow cards with a sin bin would help diffuse some of the hotheads? The Liverpool goalkeeper in the European Cup Final was clearly concussed but there's no protocol to protect him? Timekeeping in football is a nonsense, would stopping the clock as they do in Union be better? How about using captains referrals for VAR like they do in cricket and hockey (where appeals are kept if successful). That would completely stop the players crowding the referee, there'd be no point. I would truly love to see dissent handled properly (and as per the existing football laws) as well.

Posted by: aidanb (IP Logged)
Date: 29 June, 2018 10:27

Quote:
dick g
Just to explain that I am enjoying the footy and while I think our game is better, it's a bit like saying I prefer champagne to prosecco. I wouldn't turn down a glass of the latter if that's all there was on offer. Mind, on medical grounds I am off the booze for a year.......

In this order I prefer

Prosecco
Cava
Champagne

but i prefer them in any order when they are free

Date: 29 June, 2018 11:53

Try Camel Valley English sparkler from Cornwall. Top drop.

Posted by: Cantabrian (IP Logged)
Date: 30 June, 2018 08:25

You make a lot of excellent points London Falcon and I agree completely. If only the football administrators could spend a few days locked away in a Swiss chalet somewhere and introduce the most suited available technology to the game it would make it so much more enjoyable and exciting for everybody.

Posted by: dksniper (IP Logged)
Date: 30 June, 2018 19:17

But would it eliminate the cheating. Suarez again tonight feigning injury and holding his head when he was clearly caught in the back. Lies on the ground for a few minutes. It is embarrassing. I genuinely get irritated by it all. Sorry.
I agree generally though, good world cup.

Posted by: samlee99 (IP Logged)
Date: 01 July, 2018 09:36

Quote:
dksniper
But would it eliminate the cheating. Suarez again tonight feigning injury and holding his head when he was clearly caught in the back. Lies on the ground for a few minutes. It is embarrassing. I genuinely get irritated by it all. Sorry.
I agree generally though, good world cup.

Indeed the diving and cheating is truly pathetic. The ridiculous thing is that it could be stopped almost instantly if the authorities simply reviewed the video of the game afterwards and issued retrospective bans.

Posted by: ouch!_that_hurts (IP Logged)
Date: 01 July, 2018 09:57

I think the diving and chetaing, particularly feigning injury, is so ingrained into the players' psyche that it's impossible to change them. You only have to listen to the absolute drivel that comes from Andy Townsend's mouth to see that even those that have retired from the game seem to think that it's acceptable behaviour.

I just caught a bit of the FIH hockey on BT Sport and one of the Belgian players almost had his foot removed by a hit from about 6 feet away. Instead of rolling around as if he'd been shot he was back on his feet ready to face the free hit he'd given away (by being hit on the foot!)

Wrt London Falcon's comments about concussion, I did hear Alan Shearer advocating a concussion protocol similar to that used in rugby.

Date: 01 July, 2018 12:51

If players were banned every time they dived or feigned injury they would be of little use to their clubs and would soon find their careers grinding to a halt. It really is as simple as that.

Posted by: aidanb (IP Logged)
Date: 02 July, 2018 11:31

Quote:
samlee99
If players were banned every time they dived or feigned injury they would be of little use to their clubs and would soon find their careers grinding to a halt. It really is as simple as that.

At which point they would simply stop being a muppet and get on with the game

Posted by: Leipziger (IP Logged)
Date: 02 July, 2018 14:32

Quote:
samlee99

In theory yes, and I agree this should be done. However it might not discourage everyone (even if it were applied consistently and long-term), I heard someone on the radio throw up this scenario recently:

Man United are playing Man City in a top-of-the-table clash, United's next three games are against (no disrespect) West Ham, Southampton and Palace, who they expect to beat easily enough. It's 0-0 in the 89th minute and Alexis Sanchez dives to get a penalty, and Man United win to go above City at the top of the league. Sanchez is retrospectively banned for the next three games, but the original result stands, and United would probably think it's worth it.

Same could be said for a team at the bottom playing a team around them, while their next three games are against teams near the top.

Date: 02 July, 2018 14:32

Exactly.

Posted by: There's 35 seconds to go (IP Logged)
Date: 02 July, 2018 21:00

I propose dead legs for divers and fakers. Do a dive or an act, get kneed in the thigh by the goalie.

Player must stay on the pitch until the final whistle.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/07/2018 21:02 by There's 35 seconds to go.

Date: 05 July, 2018 07:03

One final point. In our game, the matchday ref has a meeting with each club before the game to discuss how the team wishes to play and how the ref intends to go about his job. Does this happen in football?

And finally, lastly, terminally: Bring it home England!

Current Page: 1 of 2
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net