Sportnetwork privacy - utter lies & dishonesty
Posted by: Monkey1 (IP Logged)
Date: 02 November, 2018 12:47

Is anybody else utterly sick of Sportnetwork & their endless quest to grab your personal information so they can flog it on the open market for cash?

Every time I open the message board from a different browser I get a message saying how much Sportnetwork values my privacy. I cannot imagine anything further from the truth. No politician of any party, no matter how corrupt, has ever uttered as big a lie as that one. They don't value my privacy at all, indeed they conduct a war of attrition to wear you down so that as long as you bother to look at the message board, they can harvest God only knows what from your computer, iPhone, tablet, whatever you are using at the time.

Every time you see that statement that they value your privacy, it means that they have reset all of your privacy settings to allow them to grub around in your data files & take whatever they want. On your screen right now you will see a little blue box in the bottom right-hand corner - Privacy settings. If at any point you have gone through the procedure of one-by-one switching off all of the options that allow them to know every little thing about you, I will bet my holy codlings that the whole blasted lot have been turned back on again. You can switch them all off as often as you like, but Sportnetwork will just switch them all back on again.

I really am at the point of telling them to shove the message boards up their @$& because of this. We are all now very much aware of data harvesting & how it can be abused, how it is utterly dishonest & unacceptable, and that only utterly immoral scumbags would harvest your information when you have specifically told them you don't want them to. If you don't care then that's fine, but those of us who do care, those of us who bother to go through the settings & turn them all off, we should not expect them to sneakily turn them all back on again UNLESS WE SPECIFICALLY GIVE THEM PERMISSION TO DO SO.

Is anybody else naffed off at this cynical & very unpleasant campaign by Sportnetowk to harvest as much of our data as possible, or does nobody really care anymore?

Re: Sportnetwork privacy - utter lies & dishonesty
Posted by: Bedlington Lad (IP Logged)
Date: 02 November, 2018 14:10

Thanks for the update i didn't think they'd do that - one more thing to check

Posted by: aidanb (IP Logged)
Date: 02 November, 2018 14:17

Hi Monkey

give me a ring sometime and we can look at options

Aidan

Posted by: 17Roundabouts (IP Logged)
Date: 02 November, 2018 17:45

Cheers Monkey...I too hate the idea of my personal information being flogged off to advertisers.

It's why on Facebook( which I only use to store pictures & message people) I deliberately put misleading personal information,as they are more than welcome to sell my likes of Alpine yodeling from an ex alligator wrestler who's 92 & currently lives in Ulan Bator Mongolia

Posted by: bigfecker (IP Logged)
Date: 06 November, 2018 09:08

Once turned off, they are breaking the law by turning them on again without your explicit permission, check GDPR.

All settings for collecting information have to have explicit permission (i.e. you ask for it), they can not use implied permission (i.e. you do nothing and they are switched on).

Posted by: John Tee (IP Logged)
Date: 06 November, 2018 11:03

They pester you so you continually have to decline. It is a pita but part of gdpr. And they work on the basis that some people sign up for yes for an easier life

Deny all and save. it takes seconds, annoying as it is.

The fines for breach are high...so no one is doing this lightly.
This is next year's ppi, Imo.

Posted by: aidanb (IP Logged)
Date: 06 November, 2018 15:29

the problem seems to be that uni decline and then they change the settings so you have to decline each visit - even if you don't sign out

Posted by: Chris1850 (IP Logged)
Date: 06 November, 2018 17:03

When you select the Privacy Settings in the blue box, it takes you to another screen. Select 'Reject All' at the top, and then 'Save and Exit'. On the next screen, DO NOT press 'I Accept'. Instead, press the back button on your browser. This takes you back to the forum.

Then select 'Privacy Settings' again. This time select 'See Full Vendor List'. Select 'Reject All'. Then select 'Save and Exit'. On the next screen, again do not select 'I Accept' but press the back button on your browser to return to the forum.

Your settings will now be saved on that device. You will need to follow the same procedure for any other devices that you use to access the forum. However, once you have done this once for each device, you shouldn't have to do it again.

Hope this helps

Posted by: Monkey1 (IP Logged)
Date: 06 November, 2018 18:14

Cheers Chris, that is most helpful & pretty much the conclusion I had come to while messing about with it earlier today. Is that Reject All option new? Can't imagine I hadn't noticed it before but hey ho!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net