Blaydon What?
Posted by: dick g (IP Logged)
Date: 23 November, 2018 22:01

Whoever was responsible for the pre-match singalong tonight should be obliged to visit the grave of Joe Wilson and offer a profound apology to the man who wrote the Blaydon Races. The chorus sung by the overly loud song-leaders and the words so thoughtfully displayed on the big screen were a disgrace. How could anybody involved with the Falcons make such an embarassing mistake? After the visit to Wilson's grave, the offender should join us in the South Stand where we have been singing the correct words for 20 years.

Re: Blaydon What?
Posted by: Monkey1 (IP Logged)
Date: 23 November, 2018 22:15

and don't forg...... the icrophone cutting out sev times because the singer was creeching into the crophone too oudly.

It was so bad I hid in the bar.

Please don't ever try that again.

Posted by: pa8 (IP Logged)
Date: 24 November, 2018 03:44

It was like a drugged up version of Norman Collier - utterly embarrassing.

Posted by: zackary71 (IP Logged)
Date: 24 November, 2018 05:14

Judging by the lead "singer's" knowledge of her bearings, she may struggle locating the South stand to join you anytime soon dickg. The bizarre spectacle reminded me of Delia Smith's classic half time moment. May have helped if they actually knew the lyrics. I'm not even from the Toon, but know enough to know it's 'aaall" not "all" when it comes to lads and lasses. Please Falcons, never again.

Date: 24 November, 2018 10:28

The lyrics presented were "Walking along the Scotswood Road just as they were standing" instead of "Passin the folks alang the road just as they were stannin."

When I first came to Newcastle half a century ago, one if my earliest achievements was to learn the words to the Geordie anthem. What were got last night was a Blayon disgrace.

Posted by: Marco19819 (IP Logged)
Date: 24 November, 2018 10:55

It DID make me cringe and i agree with the above...

BUT...

I have to say though, i don't often hear 8000 people singing the song in the stands! Perhaps we should start OR learn some new chants?

It was, admittedly, terrible attempt to start something. I would much prefer for this to happen organically though. I am not a Geordie so I feel slightly fraudulent singing it!

Posted by: steve1888 (IP Logged)
Date: 24 November, 2018 12:38

Think it was Doc B some years ago on here came up with a Falcons version of Flower of Scotland , was genius.

Date: 25 November, 2018 08:34

Quote:
Marco19819
It DID make me cringe and i agree with the above...
BUT...

I have to say though, i don't often hear 8000 people singing the song in the stands! Perhaps we should start OR learn some new chants?

It was, admittedly, terrible attempt to start something. I would much prefer for this to happen organically though. I am not a Geordie so I feel slightly fraudulent singing it!

I am a Geordie because I chose to live here not because my mother happened to be here when she produced me. Howway the Cockneys!
😁

Posted by: Falcons_Thunder (IP Logged)
Date: 25 November, 2018 08:56

Iím a Northumbria so the Blaydon Races song doesnít really mean anything to me personally. Now we could start a poets corner with some of Wilfrid Wilson Gibson work (only joking)

Posted by: Monkey1 (IP Logged)
Date: 26 November, 2018 06:56

If we are to get a Northumbrian theme into it FT, we will have to teach these Geordie people how to pronounce Rrrrothburrry and Thrrropton correctly.

Date: 26 November, 2018 07:48

Rrround the rrraged rrrocks the rrragged rrrascal rrran! I do a reasonable Airshington as well. Still working on my Mackem. Whoeese kees are these kees. Might try a bit of Smog Moggee next.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net