Current Page: 1 of 3
Leaving Sportnetwork?
Posted by: Monkey1 (IP Logged)
Date: 05 December, 2018 06:53

I really have had enough, so this is a final warning to Sportnetwork to sort themselves out.

I wanted a look at the message board while having breakfast, on the same computer and same browser as last night.

THREE BLOODY TIMES it tried to get me to accept their data harvesting, in the process kicking me back to some general sportnetwork page, then the general rugby page, I am sick & tired of it.

Worst of all is that they try to harvest your data using deception, hoping that we will all click on the great big I ACCEPT button because we are all just sick of these obstructions to looking at what we clicked to see, which of course resets everything so they can harvest everything off your phone, tablet, computer or anything else they can get their greedy probes into.

It is immoral, disgusting, and unacceptable.

I have been offered the opening to set up an alternative message board, as Harlequins have already done, and as Gloucester have always done. I would value the opinions of others.

Alternatively, somebody from Sportnetwork can come on here & promise to stop doing this immoral & unacceptable harvesting of data against the will of the people who use the message boards, which is teetering on the brink of legality under the terms of GDPR anyway.

Re: Leaving Sportnetwork?
Posted by: rubyrhone (IP Logged)
Date: 05 December, 2018 08:27

I'm with you there Monkey. After you told us about this practice I checked again all my devices and lo and behold everything was ON again. This happens every few days after they have lulled you into a sense of false security that everything is off.
I appreciate advertising is necessary on a free site and put up with the Scandinavian stuff which has appeared recently but to be underhand about it is not acceptable.
So if you want to switch I shall follow.

Posted by: aidanb (IP Logged)
Date: 05 December, 2018 08:42

Letís make the move
We wonít have to do the 2 weekly report to keep the mousewheel moving either

Posted by: Bedlington Lad (IP Logged)
Date: 05 December, 2018 08:48

I enjoy the discussions on the boards and if you guys think an alternative works better that is ok with me

Posted by: DB23 (IP Logged)
Date: 05 December, 2018 09:01

Go for it, Monkey. If it means less hassle for you, Aidian and, in fact, all of us itís a sensible move

Posted by: CharlieDog (IP Logged)
Date: 05 December, 2018 09:27

Happy to move - seems they unilaterally reset the privacy settings every few days

Posted by: dick g (IP Logged)
Date: 05 December, 2018 09:40

Do what you think best.

Posted by: steve1888 (IP Logged)
Date: 05 December, 2018 10:04

Can we keep the Paco Rabanne bird ?

In all seriousness seems sensible but would we still get those from other clubs?

Posted by: London_Falcon (IP Logged)
Date: 05 December, 2018 10:28

I do really like the banter with supporters from other clubs though. I think this would pretty much disappear if we moved away from SportsNetwork. Agreed on you point about there shocking approach to GDPR though.

Posted by: Leipziger (IP Logged)
Date: 05 December, 2018 10:55

Do what you guys think is best.

One thing I've been miffed about recently is that when I read the board on my phone, half the page (literally) is often taken up by an advert that I then have to close. Still, not the end of the world.

Posted by: toastie1 (IP Logged)
Date: 05 December, 2018 11:02

Go for it , Monkey. Sick of arsing about with the settings.

Posted by: Cantabrian (IP Logged)
Date: 05 December, 2018 11:45

Go for it Monkey. I'll support whatever you decide

Posted by: Monkey1 (IP Logged)
Date: 05 December, 2018 11:50

Quote:
London_Falcon
I do really like the banter with supporters from other clubs though. I think this would pretty much disappear if we moved away from SportsNetwork. Agreed on you point about there shocking approach to GDPR though.

Banter with supporters of other clubs is the big loss, and as much as we may have good intentions to pop back onto Sportnetwork to interact with other supporters, the reality is that once you get out of the habit you will stop doing it, especially if when you try you are met with a wall of aggressive data harvesting.

My preference would be to stay with Sportnetwork for this very reason, but they will have to buck their ideas up & stop this nasty practice. I will be happy to stay if they give me the option to set my privacy settings, then respect my decision. They can ask me to review it but not too often, and not try to change my settings in any way, nor try to pressure me into accepting their data harvesting or indulge in any deception.

At present every now & then you are faced with a barrier to the message board. If you press the big fat I ACCEPT button (which is what they want you to do, and which resets all your preferences to what they want, not what you want) you get to the message board. If you don't, you get mucked about, effectively punished for being naughty & not pressing the I ACCEPT button.

Up to them. I would like to stay, but if they don't care one jot then I will be off, and I get the feeling that other clubs will follow, until eventually Sportnetwork has no message boards left.

Posted by: Jon Steer (IP Logged)
Date: 05 December, 2018 12:10

Hi All,

Yes, the privacy controls are a pain - but no, we are not harvesting any data. The only personal data we have about you is what you provide when you register and that is never shared with anyone.

The privacy controls ask you to accept that we can track your usage of our site so that we can measure statistics on page views, busiest pages etc.

They also ask you whether you want advertisers to be able to track you. If you accept then advertisers can use cookies to track you between sites that you visit and tailor advertising to you. None of the information we hold on you is ever passed to advertisers.

The privacy controls are now a required element because we use third party advertising and use cookies to measure statistics. We appreciate that there is an issue with some people seeing the controls on almost every visit - this shouldn't happen, your choices should be remembered between visits and then you can use the small settings control in the bottom right of the screen to change settings if you want to.

We are working on making this less obtrusive - another option is a banner along the bottom of the page which wasn't available when we first added the controls so we will be giving that a go...

Regards

Jon

--
Jon Steer
technical director
sportnetwork.net

Date: 05 December, 2018 12:15

Agreed Monkey, you should be able to set your preferences and not be asked to review for a while - I think it is set to 14 days at the moment, I'll see if we can increase that. I'm also looking into why it is causing so much trouble and kicking you to other pages.

I've tried altering my preferences using the 'Privacy Settings' button in the bottom right and rejecting all and it lets me carry on fine and seems to be remembering those choices when I open settings again. I'll see how long that lasts for...

Jon

--
Jon Steer
technical director
sportnetwork.net

Posted by: markismith50 (IP Logged)
Date: 05 December, 2018 12:32

Why have a time limit at all on the privacy preferences, Jon?

Why not just select them and keep those preferences until the user actively decides to change them?

Posted by: A tramp abroad (IP Logged)
Date: 05 December, 2018 12:49

This is the only site that I know of which has a time limit on the personal preferences, requiring re-setting every couple of weeks. It is not necessary and, as others have already said, very irritating.

Posted by: sparkyweb (IP Logged)
Date: 05 December, 2018 13:13

The adverts are a nightmare when I use my tablet to view the site and always reformat the page about 5 seconds after loading so quite often I click on the wrong link (or an advert - although was that the real intention.......)

I for one am happy if the site is moved, happy to help in the background too.

Date: 05 December, 2018 13:24

Quote:
markismith50
Why have a time limit at all on the privacy preferences, Jon?
Why not just select them and keep those preferences until the user actively decides to change them?

Good question. I think it was the default with the code we were given when we decided to use Quantcast. Iíll look to see if we can remove it.

Jon

--
Jon Steer
technical director
sportnetwork.net

Posted by: CharlieDog (IP Logged)
Date: 05 December, 2018 13:59

My big problem is not so much that the privacy controls ask me to review them regularly BUT that they automatically change them WITHOUT MY PERMISSION back to 'on' every few days. Perhaps the best way to address this is to report them to the Data Commissioner (or whoever is responsible for GDPR) - either they fix it or get hit with a big fine.

Whilst they are on, the adverts on my mobile are a total pain and the site is very old, slow and cranky (not a technical term I realise!)

It would be a shame to go but they've had many chances and so my vote is LEAVE unless its sorted quickly. Why not have a poll:

a) Stay
b) Leave now
c) Leave unless Privacy and Adverts are fixed within 1 month

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/12/2018 14:00 by CharlieDog.

Current Page: 1 of 3
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net