Current Page: 1 of 3
Premiership promotion & relegation - Ian Ritchie
Posted by: kath. (IP Logged)
Date: 07 January, 2019 17:39

Premiership Rugby head Ian Ritchie has told the BBC it is "right and proper" to look into scrapping promotion from and relegation to the Championship.

MORE HERE

Re: Premiership promotion & relegation - Ian Ritchie
Posted by: nook10 (IP Logged)
Date: 07 January, 2019 19:37

Who's going to be invited to the top table. How many teams in the league and what criteria

Posted by: Leipziger (IP Logged)
Date: 07 January, 2019 20:06

Saw on Facebook today that league could be ringfenced this season, with 13 teams in the Prem next year. Haven't seen any confirmation though on proper news outlets though.(Sm8)

Posted by: AJfalc (IP Logged)
Date: 07 January, 2019 20:41

This is our only chance of not playing Championship rugby next season.

Posted by: Wensleydale Falcon (IP Logged)
Date: 07 January, 2019 21:14

With 10 league games still to play there are still 50 points up for grabs.
Iím sure that the players will not have such a defeatist attitude.
Itís times like this where we as supporters can show our true colours.
Letís get behind the guys...!!

Posted by: Robs (IP Logged)
Date: 07 January, 2019 22:44

Quote:
Leipziger
Saw on Facebook today that league could be ringfenced this season, with 13 teams in the Prem next year. Haven't seen any confirmation though on proper news outlets though.(Sm8)

Pretty sure that they won't change the rules mid season
But I could be wrong!

Posted by: Bedlington Lad (IP Logged)
Date: 08 January, 2019 08:00

After Exeter won promotion, what relegated Prem team has failed to return to the Prem at the first time of asking? I was just thinking if it's been a few years and there is an established trend that the relegated clubs bounce straight back, is that a strong enough argument for ring fencing? Any thoughts?

Posted by: dick g (IP Logged)
Date: 08 January, 2019 08:43

Quote:
Robs
Quote:
Leipziger

Pretty sure that they won't change the rules mid season
But I could be wrong!

Piece in Times yesterday suggesting Prem thinking of ditching relegation this season. RFU unlikely to approve. Would PR be prepared to operate outside RFU orbit? Doubt it. We could be on verge of Mexican standoff.

Posted by: Robs (IP Logged)
Date: 08 January, 2019 13:54

I guess nobody would "suffer". If the Prem went up to 13

Posted by: A tramp abroad (IP Logged)
Date: 08 January, 2019 14:32

Quote:
Robs
I guess nobody would "suffer". If the Prem went up to 13

If it was ring fenced at 13 the ambitious Championship clubs who fail to go up this season would would "suffer" as they will lose the opportunity to establish themselves in the Premiership (e.g. Exeter) or go to the wall (e.g. London Welsh).

Date: 08 January, 2019 15:09

Thing i,s no Championship club, to the best of my knowledge, has leapfrogged demoted Prem club for years, and if that trend continues they'll never make it to the prem. I think if a team is top of the league and has all the infrastructure in place they could then apply to join. I know there is no ideal solution but I wouldn't want a repeat of the London Welsh scenario because the club, players and supporters all suffered because the club really wasn't ready to make the step up.

Date: 08 January, 2019 15:28

Quote:
Bedlington Lad
Thing i,s no Championship club, to the best of my knowledge, has leapfrogged demoted Prem club for years, and if that trend continues they'll never make it to the prem. I think if a team is top of the league and has all the infrastructure in place they could then apply to join. I know there is no ideal solution but I wouldn't want a repeat of the London Welsh scenario because the club, players and supporters all suffered because the club really wasn't ready to make the step up.

Too much uncertainty in an application process. You put in all the money, build the facilities, get the team together... and then the RFU and the cartel turn you down. Too risky. At least at the moment, if a team meets the criteria and wins the Championship, the are guaranteed to go up, no question.

As for clubs going bust, it's not good but that's up to them. I think it's a bit patronising (I'm sure that's not your intention, Bedlington) to say we should save smaller clubs from themselves.

Posted by: Peter_B (IP Logged)
Date: 08 January, 2019 18:05

Bristol finished above Worcester but the Championship had managed to find a system where the Premiership club had another chance to go up.

Peter

C'mon you Bristol Boys!

Date: 08 January, 2019 18:07

Quote:
Leipziger
Quote:
Bedlington Lad

Too much uncertainty in an application process. You put in all the money, build the facilities, get the team together... and then the RFU and the cartel turn you down. Too risky. At least at the moment, if a team meets the criteria and wins the Championship, the are guaranteed to go up, no question.

As for clubs going bust, it's not good but that's up to them. I think it's a bit patronising (I'm sure that's not your intention, Bedlington) to say we should save smaller clubs from themselves.
I certainly didn't mean it to sound patronising, it's a genuine concern. It's very difficult because I can see your scenario playing out when a team has everything in place, I was thinking more that the club grows as the team grows, like Worcester and Exter, does that make sense? I've no desire to deny anyone with the vision and amvbition a crack at the prem

Posted by: chiplad (IP Logged)
Date: 08 January, 2019 18:22

with respect, the rules were known at the start. Worcester didn't get another chance. They got the same chance as everyone else, no?

Posted by: dick g (IP Logged)
Date: 08 January, 2019 18:34

At the moment, a relegated team with a healthy parachute payment squats like a cuckoo in the Championship nest. Apart from Bristol, promotion back to Prem has come after a season of exile. But, in reality automatic promotion has ceased to exist since Bedford declared that it would not go up even if it topped Championship. Promotion is, in effect, optional. Use the parachute payment as a cash prize pot for top Championship sides so that over a few seasons, they can prepare for a step up and apply to join Premiership. When nececessary, have two Prem conferences with end of season play-offs.

Simples.

Posted by: Peter_B (IP Logged)
Date: 08 January, 2019 18:45

I was adding to Beflingtiion Ladís point about no one leapfrogging the relegated Premiership club: Bristol finished above Worcester but the Championship had managed to find a system where the Premiership club had another chance to go up. That could apply to any club that had the wherewithal to go up and thrive. I didnít think I needed to add the second bit as it was rather obvious.

Peter

C'mon you Bristol Boys!

Posted by: Marco19819 (IP Logged)
Date: 08 January, 2019 19:00

If Irish get promoted then changing the rules is moot.

You would just promote Irish as normal and ring fence. It doesn't change the game for ambitious clubs. They simply apply to come into the prem and show that they have the means to be competitive. Simple.

Date: 09 January, 2019 08:00

Quote:
Marco19819
If Irish get promoted then changing the rules is moot.
You would just promote Irish as normal and ring fence. It doesn't change the game for ambitious clubs. They simply apply to come into the prem and show that they have the means to be competitive. Simple.

I just can't get on board with a system where a club's league status is decided by a committee of people looking at said club's location, stadium and finances (if they can get over their own vested interests), rather than what they do on the pitch. Apart from the fact it's completely the opposite of what sport's supposed to be about, it's even higher-risk than the current system so it'd actually deter investment in a Championship club rather than encourage it.

Posted by: nursepete (IP Logged)
Date: 09 January, 2019 08:17

As far as I am aware, outside of London Irish, there is only Ealing who want to be promoted to the Premiership. Therefore, promote Irish and Ealing and close the door for 3 or 5 years to allow either the Championship clubs to put the infrastructure in place to allow for promotion or stick at the 14 club ringfenced premiership.

Current Page: 1 of 3
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net