Current Page: 1 of 2
Team's Up
Posted by: Bedlington Lad (IP Logged)
Date: 11 January, 2019 13:24

Newcastle Falcons team to face Montpellier (Saturday, 1pm UK time, GGL Stadium)

15 Simon Hammersley

14 Vereniki Goneva

13 Chris Harris

12 Josh Matavesi

11 Tom Arscott

10 Toby Flood (captain)

9 Sonatane Takulua

1 Adam Brocklebank

2 Kyle Cooper

3 Trevor Davison

4 Will Witty

5 Glen Young

6 Gary Graham

7 John Hardie

8 Ryan Burrows

Replacements

16 Santiago Socino

17 Sami Mavinga

18 Jack Payne

19 Calum Green

20 Callum Chick

21 Michael Young

22 Brett Connon

23 Zach Kibirige

Referee: Marius Mitrea (Italy)

LATEST GA

Re: Team's Up
Posted by: Andy Mac (IP Logged)
Date: 11 January, 2019 13:27

Does anyone know the latest on Welch or Wilson?

Posted by: alas (IP Logged)
Date: 11 January, 2019 13:34

Wilson will be away with England soon anyway. Unless released by England, Toulon is the only game he could play for the Falcons until the Big One.

Posted by: Rogerandout (IP Logged)
Date: 11 January, 2019 14:28

A very experienced side with no opportunity to see what the younger players can do. I had a look at the sides selected by other premiership sides and they all have a good sprinkling of youngsters.
I fear that we are preventing the progress of the future of the club for the benefit of some players who have had the opportunity to prove their worth and not taken it.
If you look at the results in the Prem Cup and the A league we are doing well. If the youngsters perform well they are not given the opportunity to show what they can or canít do on the bigger stage. This is a big stage but given our posttion in this competition and most importantly the Prem I would rather see what we have in reserve. I know what the first team players can do.
I used to see the logic behind decisions but they are no longer adding up to me.

Posted by: steve1888 (IP Logged)
Date: 11 January, 2019 14:55

Its a must win game or we are out ? surely they've got to through best available registered team at it ?

Posted by: Rogerandout (IP Logged)
Date: 11 January, 2019 15:12

I have formed the opinion rightly or wrongly that we are effectively already out of this competition and as a consequence we should use it with experimentation in mind rather than safety first tried and trusted selections.

Posted by: AFalcon24 (IP Logged)
Date: 11 January, 2019 15:18

Would love us to get a good result here, but it's a tough place to win. smiling smiley

Posted by: Bedlington Lad (IP Logged)
Date: 11 January, 2019 15:40

I agree with blooding youngsters to a degree but I don't think the bear pit of Montpelier is necessarily the best place to start

Posted by: Daveyb (IP Logged)
Date: 11 January, 2019 15:50

There again, accounting for injuries, it gives the chance for the most likely team to be fielded over the coming weeks, the chance to spend some time on the pitch together.

Posted by: Cantabrian (IP Logged)
Date: 11 January, 2019 15:54

I'm with rogerandout on this one. Arscott's defence and positional play was lousy against Quins yet he starts again. Why not give Kibirige a start?

I also worry that the reason Callum Green is starting on the bench again is because He's on his way somewhere and out of favour.

Posted by: BedfordFalcon (IP Logged)
Date: 11 January, 2019 16:18

I agree with DaveyB. No good resting our first pick if we're out of form. Surely it's better to keep consistent selection (especially in the backs where we've been awful) and get into a groove ready for when the Prem starts again

Posted by: chiplad (IP Logged)
Date: 11 January, 2019 17:25

agreed..after the last performance they need to play in to some sort of form.

Posted by: dick g (IP Logged)
Date: 11 January, 2019 17:33

How many of our younger players are registered for this competition?

Posted by: Susiewong (IP Logged)
Date: 11 January, 2019 18:39

Ok so Arscott has had his critics, he had a poor performance last week. We have younger players waiting to get a chance to shine but our management decided to select him again. I canít imagine what these guys must be thinking. If it was me I would say, stuff this I will go to a club that will give me game time.

Posted by: Oneforthefatboys (IP Logged)
Date: 11 January, 2019 20:30

I do not think that we can make that assumption about Callum green. He always gives 100% and fights for everything. His issue is that he had a back injury and I think that they are managing the situation. I reckon that if we stay up heíll be here next year. Arscott s confidence as with the rest of the team is shot. We need to rally round them, support and get that back. Again, we have been hit on the tight head side, but letís get them fit and GP ready. Come on the falcons

Posted by: dick g (IP Logged)
Date: 11 January, 2019 20:47

Quote:
dick g
How many of our younger players are registered for this competition?

I repeat, this is an jmportant issue as the Edjnburgh match tighthead crisis showed.

Posted by: BH (IP Logged)
Date: 11 January, 2019 23:22

Itís an interesting thought about younger ďfringeĒ players choosing to move on to teams that will give them more regular game time. Realistically, which team would give them this?
I canít see many (if any) Premiership teams that would. I think they would need to move to a lower division to get this.

Posted by: Cantabrian (IP Logged)
Date: 12 January, 2019 15:09

During the Montpelier game Andy Goode said in commentary that Callum Green is off back to the Tigers. Really really disappointing if true.

Posted by: pityacker (IP Logged)
Date: 12 January, 2019 15:40

Green going to Tigers has been rumoured for a while from several sources.

Posted by: chiplad (IP Logged)
Date: 12 January, 2019 17:36

Depressing if true. and not cool of Goode to mention it on air either.

Current Page: 1 of 2
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net