Current Page: 1 of 2
Harris departs
Posted by: TIGHT HEED (IP Logged)
Date: 06 June, 2019 09:07

Chris Harris has activated his release clause . No mention of where he us off too

Seems like the players who were not good enough to keep us up think they are too good to work to get us back up.

Crouch...Touch.Pause...Engage...http://www.sportnetwork.net/mainadmin/img/141072721175.gif

Re: Harris departs
Posted by: The Boyfriend (IP Logged)
Date: 06 June, 2019 09:22

Here we go again, straight in with the negative comments...how about thanking the lad, wishing him well, and we all move on?

Posted by: Falc Dancer (IP Logged)
Date: 06 June, 2019 09:37

Very disappointing news
All the best & good luck Chris

Posted by: aidanb (IP Logged)
Date: 06 June, 2019 09:52

Good luck to the lad

He probably didn't want to leave but will have had to in order to remain in contention with Scotland.

Interesting that there is no mention of his club - it has to be Edinburgh or Glasgow surely ?

Posted by: westglos (IP Logged)
Date: 06 June, 2019 09:55

He's coming to Glaws, as heavily rumoured in the TRP.

Posted by: Falcons_Thunder (IP Logged)
Date: 06 June, 2019 10:05

As the rugby paper predicted

Posted by: GeordieFalcon (IP Logged)
Date: 06 June, 2019 10:15

Well good luck to the lad. Shame he isnt fighting to get us back up.

Im sure the new breed, Joel Matavesi, Charlie Wilson, Ben Stevenson, Tom Penny (if he can stay fit) etc will make sure the loss isnt as big as most seem to think.

Posted by: steve1888 (IP Logged)
Date: 06 June, 2019 10:42

Why the negativity ? He's an international and always gave his all for us?

Good Luck to him !

Posted by: Leipziger (IP Logged)
Date: 06 June, 2019 11:00

Confirmed by Gloucester.

Shame Harris is leaving, he's been a good servant to the Falcons and hopefully staying in the Premiership will help his Scotland career. Good luck to him and leaves an opportunity for Penny and Stevenson to develop hopefully.

Posted by: TIGHT HEED (IP Logged)
Date: 06 June, 2019 11:27

Negativity is due to us developing players and them leaving after a poor season if he had moved on the summer previous i would be wishing him and the others that have left the best.

We are not guaranteed promotion and will have to be at the best all season to get back up.

We need the guys we have invested time ,effort and money in when they learned the game to show loyalty for a season and help the rebuilding
Honestly I blame the agents for making players think they are better than they have shown to be ovrr the past year

Crouch...Touch.Pause...Engage...http://www.sportnetwork.net/mainadmin/img/141072721175.gif

Posted by: pityacker (IP Logged)
Date: 06 June, 2019 11:32

Smithy posted that there is another departure announcement tomorrow so perhaps the other RP rumour of Kibirige activating his relegation release clause , itís certainly sure to be a player that the club have wanted to keep.

Posted by: GeordieFalcon (IP Logged)
Date: 06 June, 2019 11:33

I blame the coaches as much for what happened last season...

Both players and coaches have to take full blame...so i think thats why there is a little negativity.

However im actually very positive about the players we can bring in.

Its just the coahces im slightly apprehensive about. Are they able to adapt and play a modern game...like many of the premiership sides are doing??

Date: 06 June, 2019 11:49

Quote:
GeordieFalcon
Its just the coahces im slightly apprehensive about. Are they able to adapt and play a modern game...like many of the premiership sides are doing??

Clearly they can - they did in 2017/18. Why that suddenly changed last season is a big question.

Posted by: CharlieDog (IP Logged)
Date: 06 June, 2019 13:41

I don't see any of the comments on this thread as negative.

It's a shame he's off, and I wish him well, but I don't feel its a huge loss in isolation - that depends on who else may go. Has he been stand out this season, possibly not? There are plenty of youngsters to fill his boots and get their opportunity. We complain when youngsters don't get an opportunity then complain when others leave and free up an opportunity - can't have it both ways!!!

It will be interesting to see how easiy he gets and keeps a first team place at Glaws and whether that helps in regaining his Scotland place as I suggest he is not first choice there when all are fit.

Did he need to go? No. Will it be good for his career...Ö? Who knows?

Now Zach is a different case - he is still raw, has had opportunities and great mentors to learn from, was well supported in times of need (injury and legal) - IF (and it still remains, for 24 hours at least, a big IF) he jumps ship, I will be more critical for several reason that have already been discussed - I hope I don't need to be.

Regarding the reason for failure last season - part could be attributable to the level of injuries - the front row was decimated, down to 3 loose heads only at one point, our most creative fly half was crocked most of the season and the loss of Will Welch was, I believe, critical. Much has been said about other leaders leaving, Bobby, Ali, Nili etc but none of those were playing or likely to play a central role this season. And the majority of potential leaders were then injured. I shall refrain from commenting on certain other players!!!!

The thing that worries me about the coaching staff (and players) is the regular comment from Deano (nearly every game for the last 4 years) that we were not quite accurate enough.... is that a coaching fault or a player inability?

Some players will want to leave - if they can't be bothered to help us back to the Premiership when 'some' of the blame must fall on them, then so be it. We need players who are dedicated and focused, the rest can go. Is the grass really greener on the other side? Ask Mr McGuigan!

Posted by: onceastag (IP Logged)
Date: 06 June, 2019 14:20

Concerning last seasons form to this: we won 9 games last year by one score, four of them by a single point.
Had those games gone the other way and we had got just a LBP, our final position would have been 9th on 48 points, with Quins, Wuss and Irish below us.
Were we simply lucky last season and unlucky this? Had the analysts at the other clubs worked us out? Did we lose some key experienced players? Were we hit harder by injuries than our rivals?
Hard to say, but it could be argued that 4th was a fluke last year and the raised expectations for this season were unrealistic, given the added pressure of being back in the Big Boys cup.
With the one exception we have been a bottom 3 club since we came back up from the Championship. We can only hope for a swift return and the continued involvement of Semore so that we don't face a situation like that at Carnegie.

Posted by: dick g (IP Logged)
Date: 06 June, 2019 15:55

Quote:
onceastag
Concerning last seasons form to this: we won 9 games last year by one score, four of them by a single point.
Had those games gone the other way and we had got just a LBP, our final position would have been 9th on 48 points, with Quins, Wuss and Irish below us.
Were we simply lucky last season and unlucky this? Had the analysts at the other clubs worked us out? Did we lose some key experienced players? Were we hit harder by injuries than our rivals?
Hard to say, but it could be argued that 4th was a fluke last year and the raised expectations for this season were unrealistic, given the added pressure of being back in the Big Boys cup.
With the one exception we have been a bottom 3 club since we came back up from the Championship. We can only hope for a swift return and the continued involvement of Semore so that we don't face a situation like that at Carnegie.

Well writ. My sentiments precisely. As for Harris, a top level rugby career is brief and highly ompetitive. Chris is doing the right thing and I wish him well. Except when he is playing against us!

Posted by: Exiled Falcon (IP Logged)
Date: 06 June, 2019 17:10

While I wish him well, and I genuinely do (unless heís playing against us or England) and I do fully understand the Ďitís a short career sentimentsí, I think a few need to be reminded that it was the Falcons who invested time and money into them getting a top flight career in the first place. Sadly there are far too few Jimmy Gopperths about but I guess thereís very little sentiment in professsional sport.

Date: 06 June, 2019 20:43

Quote:
onceastag

I don't think anyone had unrealistic expectations, most of us at the start of the season were saying we'd be happy with top 8 and certainly top 6.

Quote:
Exiled Falcon
While I wish him well, and I genuinely do (unless heís playing against us or England) and I do fully understand the Ďitís a short career sentimentsí, I think a few need to be reminded that it was the Falcons who invested time and money into them getting a top flight career in the first place. Sadly there are far too few Jimmy Gopperths about but I guess thereís very little sentiment in professsional sport.

For professional players, rugby's a job at the end of the day. They have to do what's best for themselves and even though yes, the Falcons put a lot of time and money into developing Harris, he's been in our first team for five years so he's put his body on the line for us plenty of times.

How many of us would show the same loyalty to our employer that some people seem to expect of rugby players, if it served us better to go elsewhere? Especially since most of us aren't doing a job where one false move could cause a career-ending injury, or even paralyse us.

Posted by: DJMc (IP Logged)
Date: 06 June, 2019 21:47

While Chris Harris is a product of the Falcons academy I am sure there must be players currently in the Falcons squad who were invested in by the academies of other clubs. I think five years service is a good return on the investment and wish him well at Gloucester.

Posted by: Oneforthefatboys (IP Logged)
Date: 06 June, 2019 22:35

Sincerely hope itís not Johnny Williams or wilson

Current Page: 1 of 2
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net