Players leaving following relegation
Posted by: joefrog (IP Logged)
Date: 06 June, 2019 13:22

A short career, their choice and I wish them the best of luck. I do however think the grass may not be greener on the other side. These players were an integral part of a relegation team who deserved to go down. I believe the majority of them may struggle to hold down a regular starting berth with their chosen teams. I would feel extremely comfortable if the Falcons on hopefully gaining promotion at the first attempt and consolidating their Premiership status did not attempt to resign any of these players.

Re: Players leaving following relegation
Posted by: CharlieDog (IP Logged)
Date: 06 June, 2019 13:43

100% spot on

Posted by: trummy200 (IP Logged)
Date: 06 June, 2019 15:05

Cannot disagree with that

Posted by: dick g (IP Logged)
Date: 06 June, 2019 15:57

Joel H is clear evidence that attempting to move on and up doesn't always work.

Posted by: aidanb (IP Logged)
Date: 06 June, 2019 15:59

Quote:
dick g

He's also evidence that it can also work coming back

Posted by: CharlieDog (IP Logged)
Date: 06 June, 2019 16:42

Quote:
dick g

Not entirely convinced the choice was his, though others may know better.

But he went away and got an education and came back a different player.

I was underwhelmed when he came back but was proven well wrong - and how we missed him last season.....

George was another, albeit was his choice to go but came back with experience

If Zach does go perhaps he will be the same?

Posted by: falcons_fan (IP Logged)
Date: 06 June, 2019 16:53

I am really not sure why we cant just announce all of the players who have decided to leave in one go and get rid of the continuous negativity and speculation that keeps coming every week. The relegation clause had to be activated by May 25th according to newspapers so the club knows by now what it has happening.

I mean Harris was announced this morning on the Falcons website initially without the club he is going to so why not just announce the other player at the same time without the club he is going to. The way it has been done with one today and one tomorrow just creates a double negative.

Then there are the likes of Cavubati, Olmstead, Dunbar? After the season we have had lets just draw a line under it all move on and inject some enthusiasm as positivity towards the new season which is only 12 weeks or so away (assuming the Championship starts in September).

Since the Leicester game it has been one stream of negativity with nothing at all to be positive about. So why not just get rid of it all in one go and build towards the new season. Right now i dont see anything positive at all coming from the club.

Posted by: lizard118 (IP Logged)
Date: 06 June, 2019 17:27

Quote:
falcons_fan
I am really not sure why we cant just announce all of the players who have decided to leave in one go and get rid of the continuous negativity and speculation that keeps coming every week. The relegation clause had to be activated by May 25th according to newspapers so the club knows by now what it has happening.
I mean Harris was announced this morning on the Falcons website initially without the club he is going to so why not just announce the other player at the same time without the club he is going to. The way it has been done with one today and one tomorrow just creates a double negative.

Then there are the likes of Cavubati, Olmstead, Dunbar? After the season we have had lets just draw a line under it all move on and inject some enthusiasm as positivity towards the new season which is only 12 weeks or so away (assuming the Championship starts in September).

Since the Leicester game it has been one stream of negativity with nothing at all to be positive about. So why not just get rid of it all in one go and build towards the new season. Right now i dont see anything positive at all coming from the club.
Couldn't agree more Falconsfan. Totally understand. I have purposely stayed away from the forum since the Leicester game, for the same reason. I thought we were doomed when we couldn't take our chances in that game.

Posted by: PedroFalcon (IP Logged)
Date: 06 June, 2019 20:42

I would say that George McGuigan signing a new contract was a pretty positive bit of news coming out of the club...

Why do people expect it be all sunshine and daisies when we've been relegated? A few bits of good news scattered amongst the inevitable bad news is exactly what we were all (realistically) expecting and is exactly what we're getting. There are undoubtedly several factors determining how, and when, contract news is released. Some players don't want the news to be broken until everything is fully confirmed, and most clubs will have policies that the fans aren't aware of and it isn't always the Falcons' choice. The club are after all the party paying the player's wage so they're entitled to do what they want.

Revealing a leavers list could seriously impact on negotiations with agents of players we're trying to sign, if it would suggest we're desparate to sign a player in a particular position, or highlight how much space we have left in the budget.

Whilst sometimes it's frustrating, the club don't owe us anything.

Posted by: Leipziger (IP Logged)
Date: 06 June, 2019 20:50

Quote:
joefrog
A short career, their choice and I wish them the best of luck. I do however think the grass may not be greener on the other side. These players were an integral part of a relegation team who deserved to go down. I believe the majority of them may struggle to hold down a regular starting berth with their chosen teams. I would feel extremely comfortable if the Falcons on hopefully gaining promotion at the first attempt and consolidating their Premiership status did not attempt to resign any of these players.

To be fair, some players might see to being on the bench a lot and playing 15 games a season for Wasps or Exeter as better than playing 30 games for a team that's regularly fighting relegation and has just gone down. These clubs probably pay more money than us. Plus, anything could happen in the next 12 months - what if we don't go back up? For a player like Witty, he may never get the opportunity to sign for a top club again if he didn't take it now.

Quote:
dick g

It isn't. When Joel left us I heard he went pay-as-you-play at Northampton, and they told him he would be a scrum-half. He then went to Leeds, and looks like he's carved out a career as a regular Premiership starter now. Who's to say he'd have done that if he hadn't had the experience at Saints and Leeds? Maybe if he'd stayed with us the first time he'd have sat on the bench and then slid down the leagues and not had a proper pro career, we don't know.

Micky Young is another one. When he left us, none of us shed many tears because we saw him as a player in decline. You can say Leicester didn't work out for him, but again he's become a regular Premiership player, which he may not have otherwise. Just because a move to a big club doesn't lead to a long career at said club, doesn't necessarily mean it doesn't benefit the player.

Posted by: eebagum (IP Logged)
Date: 07 June, 2019 22:20

Sorry Pedro to disagree but maybe the Club does owe us something...like all of us who buy a Season Ticket or who pay at the turnstile, without us then what?
Yes it is very frustrating !

Posted by: DB23 (IP Logged)
Date: 08 June, 2019 08:11

Itís a brutal job and career and can be cut short at any time.

I have no problem with any player leaving. Itís no different to anyone moving from one employer and joining another for all sorts of reasons, money, prospects, family. It is their choice.

I wish Richards would show more class when a player leaves as I find some of his comments rather graceless. This reflects on our club. We have been relegated, which Richards presided over, and players have chosen to move on. That is fine by me.

The players leaving can be replaced and it gives opportunities, if they get them, to young players coming through to show what they can do.

I do hope we can hold onto Adam Radwan as I really believe he is a future England player. If he left that would disappoint me more than any other player that is currently leaving.

Posted by: Exiled Falcon (IP Logged)
Date: 08 June, 2019 10:34

It is brutal and carries inherent risks however none are forced to do it. Plus I think the buzz of scoring a try or winning in front of a big crowd is priceless. I bet no Sarries players felt any of their bumps and bruises when celebrating.

Whilst I agree as a player you have to do whatís right for you as you never know a) whatís round the corner and b) when youíll fall out of flavour of the coach, I guess as a fan (even illogically) you always want to see players digging in when the going gets tough (or at least I do). Maybe thatís why in future years Iíll always remember George more fondly than Hammer or Chris H, as much as I respect their decisions to move on and wish them good fortune.

As for Richards, although heís not top of my Christmas card list at the mo (Iím sure in time heíll work his way back up however) I can sympathise with him getting a little grumpy with players jumping ship, no one knows how those conversations went and I can imagine they would be quite frustrating.

Posted by: GeordieFalcon (IP Logged)
Date: 08 June, 2019 11:08

It's interesting with regards to Calum Green and listening to the tigers fans

They have signed a number of locks and have some good ones coming through their academy. They see Green as merely a squad player. I'll be watching that with interest.

GGood luck to those leaving...bring on those in our squad next season. Hopefully the recruits can shine, the academy lads can play a big part and we move on.

What's happening with the coaching side. That's the big one for me. This season was simply not good enough and how are they fixing it??!!

Posted by: Exiled Falcon (IP Logged)
Date: 08 June, 2019 11:44

True GF, with respect to the coaching set up all has been very quiet.

Regarding Calum, would be a huge waste if he ended up as a squad player, at his age he needs to be playing regularly.

Posted by: A tramp abroad (IP Logged)
Date: 08 June, 2019 14:20

We need a squad which is fully committed to the task i.e. getting us back in the premiership at the first attempt.

Any player that is not 100% committed to this should be allowed to leave with our thanks for their service and best wishes for their future career.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/06/2019 14:21 by A tramp abroad.

Posted by: mannin (IP Logged)
Date: 08 June, 2019 20:51

Green was in the top 5 locks in the league last season but nowhere near that level this year.

Posted by: pityacker (IP Logged)
Date: 08 June, 2019 21:55

I fear Green will go from a first choice starter at KP to a squad/ bench player at Tigers but he has been great for Falcons and said he hadn't contemplated leaving if this opportunity hadn't come up so certainly dont begrudge him the chance and good luck to him .

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net