Current Page: 1 of 3
Lions Squad Announcement 2017
Posted by: will311293 (IP Logged)
Date: 19 April, 2017 11:16

Rory Best (Ireland), Dan Cole (England), Taulupe Faletau (Wales), Tadhg Furlong (Ireland), Jamie George (England), Iain Henderson (Ireland), Maro Itoje (England), Alun Wyn Jones (Wales), George Kruis (England), Courtney Lawes (England), Joe Marler (England), Jack McGrath (Ireland), Ross Moriarty (Wales), Sean O'Brien (Ireland), Peter O'Mahony (Ireland), Ken Owens (Wales), Kyle Sinckler (England), CJ Stander (Ireland), Justin Tipuric (Wales), Billy Vunipola (England), Mako Vunipola (England), Sam Warburton (Wales)

Dan Biggar, Elliot Daly, Jonathan Davies, Owen Farrell, Leigh Halfpenny, Robbie Henshaw, Stuart Hogg, Jonathan Joseph, Conor Murray, George North, Jack Nowell, Jared Payne, Jonathan Sexton, Tommy Seymour, Ben Te'o, Anthony Watson, Rhys Webb, Liam Williams, Ben Youngs

No Launch or Hask selected.

Thoughts?

Re: Lions Squad Announcement 2017
Posted by: ricohchezwasp (IP Logged)
Date: 19 April, 2017 11:19

Predictable but disappointing for our boys, not enough X factor

Not a Doctor and not a troll!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 19/04/2017 11:21 by ricohchezwasp.

Posted by: matelot22 (IP Logged)
Date: 19 April, 2017 11:22

The best I can say is at least no Roberts.

Posted by: DuncanS (IP Logged)
Date: 19 April, 2017 11:24

Congratulations to Elliot, but Launch missing out when three other English locks made it is mystifying!

Posted by: Westy68 (IP Logged)
Date: 19 April, 2017 11:28

Some of the selections are to say the least surprising.

Don't get Ben te'o not even first choice for England. Dan bigger really. I would have launchbury over Courtney and alun.
Leigh halfpenny is the biggest surprise think he has been poor for the last 6 months or so. Also Ross Moriarty I'm sorry several players are better

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 19/04/2017 11:51 by Westy68.

Posted by: M40 (IP Logged)
Date: 19 April, 2017 11:33

Usually there are quite a few injuries so perhaps Haskell and Launch will get a call up during the tour.

Wade made North look ordinary in the Saints game and North was probably the first name on the Lions team sheet.

5 Lions in the Saracens pack.

Scotland world ranking #5 - taking 2 players, no forwards
Wales world ranking #8 - taking 12 players

Scotland beat Wales 29-13

I expect the Scots are a bit sore.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 19/04/2017 11:35 by M40.

Posted by: Trev's Big Tackle (IP Logged)
Date: 19 April, 2017 11:34

Well, at least now I won't have to worry about how to get to the pub to watch the midweek games before work or bother setting alarms on the weekends!

Posted by: will311293 (IP Logged)
Date: 19 April, 2017 11:36

Do feel bad for the Scots as little bit unfair.. not sure how many of those Welsh deserve to be there on current playing merit apart from Owens, Jones, Turpuric and Moriaty.

Moriaty, Payne are surprising.. still not sure what Davies and O'Brien have done to be picked.

Posted by: simplytandy (IP Logged)
Date: 19 April, 2017 11:38

Nowell, Halfpenny, Payne and Youngs? We have the slowest winger in the 6N. A player who can only up and under. A mediocre utility back and a scrum half that can't pass. Sounds like a start to a terrible dad joke.

Posted by: Bzzzzz (IP Logged)
Date: 19 April, 2017 11:40

Awful selection.... Lawes, Kruis, itoje, marler - and no Launchbury..... Gatland is taking the p 1ss. Now I have no interest and really hope they get spanked.

Posted by: WaspsInEssex (IP Logged)
Date: 19 April, 2017 11:43

Bit harsh to say hope they get spanked Bzzzzz, we still have Daly going who surely deserves our support.

Shame for Launch but he could still end up going, AWJ has a shoulder injury and hasn't even got a date where he can return to play yet, it's being assessed by Wales and Ospreys later on .

Posted by: COYW15 (IP Logged)
Date: 19 April, 2017 11:43

Massive congratulations to Elliot, well deserved.

Posted by: Beckenham Bandit (IP Logged)
Date: 19 April, 2017 11:46

Speaking of third rate New Zealanders Jared Payne! Deary me. A utility player. Just not a very good one!

Ben Youngs and Ken Owens also stick out like poor selections. Lawes is a flat track bully who will be shown up badly by technically superior and smarter New Zealand opponents. The form of Halfpenny and North doesn't justify selection either.

Players unlucky to miss out. Launchbury. I would have taken Robshaw instead of one of the Irish flankers. Keiran Marmion at scrum half. Ringrose instead of Davies. Wade as an x factor attacking player.

I suspect the Lions won't have enough creativity or firepower in the backs and I doubt they will have the dominance in the forwards that they need to compensate.

Posted by: Geoff P (IP Logged)
Date: 19 April, 2017 11:48

All I can say is they must have some truly world-beating locks in there if they can afford to leave out the baby-faced assassin.

Something tells me Launch, the Hask, Christian and Cips may just have storming ends to the season.

Thrilled for Elliot though - I don't think he would have anticipated that at the start of the year.

Date: 19 April, 2017 11:51

With Warburton as captain why pick AWJ? He is not a better lock than Launch. All very odd. More odd is the few Scots picked though, they're doing much better than the Welsh at the moment.

People have been saying it since SCW's 2005 Lions but... we really need an independent Lions coach - not necessarily non-British or Irish but someone who has been away from the national team long enough not to pick their favourites.

Posted by: welsh wasp (IP Logged)
Date: 19 April, 2017 11:58

Some sour comments. You almost sound like the worst Welsh fans who can never see anything wring with their players.

So are those who now don't like the Lions selection going to boycott the matches or support NZ?

matelot22: What a nice comment about Roberts. He was only mentioned as a possibility on various of these chat sites.

Launchbury: Itoji, Lawes & Henderson can also play in the back row. Was that a factor in tertms of versatility? I ducked when I wrote that to avoid wasp stings.

Hartley: The All Blacks would have been looking forward to winding up him - and he would likely have reacted.

Scotland: So who else would you have picked? Seymour seems lucky to be the second token Scot.

Davies: probably selected because of his defensive kicking skills.

Date: 19 April, 2017 12:04

Quote:
welsh wasp

Wot?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 19/04/2017 12:05 by Trev's Big Tackle.

Posted by: simplytandy (IP Logged)
Date: 19 April, 2017 12:08

Quote:
Trev's Big Tackle
Quote:
welsh wasp

Wot?

Beat me to it. I'm sure it's a joke from Welsh Wasp.

Posted by: Westy68 (IP Logged)
Date: 19 April, 2017 12:09

When a Walsh team can beat a SH team then I may take some Welsh players. At this moment in time I can't think of a welsh player I would have in starting 15.

So Eddie Jones must be an idiot in gatlands eyes as he thinks hartly is a good player and captain. Winning 6 nations 3 years ago is of no interest to me.

Gatland is going to have his @#$%& handed to him on a plate.

Posted by: WaspieKev (IP Logged)
Date: 19 April, 2017 12:11

As already mentioned, that will not be the actual squad that gets on the plane due to injuries some players are bound to pick up between now and then. Not trying to sound smart but my squad contained 35 of the official one. I dont think anyone on here really saw Te'o, Payne or Moriarty as realistic contenders for a place so yes, they are surprise picks. I still think Launch will have a big part to play as AW-J and Kruis are not certain to be match fit and may bail out early on.

At the end of the day, its a very decent squad. Will it be good enough to beat the AB's in 2 out of 3 matches? Probably not, but who knows, and they'll give it a real crack which is all we can ask. All for one, one for all - Go Lions!!!

Current Page: 1 of 3
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net