Current Page: 1 of 4
Fetching my tin hat
Posted by: doctorkmt1 (IP Logged)
Date: 24 September, 2017 14:50

I've got a horrible sick feeling that this season is going to be a huge disaster in our quest for trophies.

Our defence has been dopey for a while now but our scintillating attack play has helped us compete.

In my opinion we've had poor recruitment over the summer.

Our attack seems toothless so far this season bar one or two moves which have nearly always come from missed tackles or lapses in concentration from the oppo rather than or scything runs.

Injuries to key players are mounting at an alarming rate!!

I think we will be lucky to finish 4th and we will be going out in the group stages of the erc.

Happy to be proven wrong obviously.

Just feel like I need to voice this. Am I alone in this thinking? I know it's early days etc...

Re: Fetching my tin hat
Posted by: Heathen (IP Logged)
Date: 24 September, 2017 14:52

Nope. Reality is biting hard.

Posted by: neils (IP Logged)
Date: 24 September, 2017 14:55

Hope for top 6 still.

Posted by: beerspanner (IP Logged)
Date: 24 September, 2017 14:56

Only half time 4 tries down they just look clueless. Time maybe for a change of coaches not been convincing this season.

Posted by: Dgwasp (IP Logged)
Date: 24 September, 2017 14:56

It is a bloody competitive league and we're not on form at the minute in any shape. Need to focus on top 6 and see where we are in terms on top 4 in April...

Posted by: Andy1210 (IP Logged)
Date: 24 September, 2017 15:11

Totally agree. Becoming too reliant on big signings.

Been poor since start of season really and the strength and conditions pre season has been dreadful as we've been held back by a load of broken players. Big questions to ask there.

Top six at best I think. We're there for the taking at the moment as Quins showed.

Posted by: Gaz (IP Logged)
Date: 24 September, 2017 15:18

Can't afford big signings anymore, other teams are sussing us out and we haven't evolved.

Too early to look for scapegoats, see where we end up at the end of the season. We could easily hit a good run at the end of the season rather than the start.

Look at Exeter last year, woeful start, brilliant finish. I'll take that.

Posted by: Chilham (IP Logged)
Date: 24 September, 2017 16:05

Trophies arenít won in September. Calm down. The injuries are hurting us. Some good performances off the bench today.

We need some momentum from a couple of good performances. Maybe in Europe.

[onceawasp.com]

Posted by: DuncanS (IP Logged)
Date: 24 September, 2017 16:13

Injuries could, ironically, be a blessing in a long, arduous season. Those out now will be firing come the turn of the year whilst others begin to wilt. Being around mid-table around Christmas could see a push into the top four in the new year. All depends how the fringe players step up, but it is certainly way too early to write off our chances this season.

Posted by: Hymenoptera (IP Logged)
Date: 24 September, 2017 16:20

Quote:
doctorkmt1
I've got a horrible sick feeling that this season is going to be a huge disaster in our quest for trophies.
Our defence has been dopey for a while now but our scintillating attack play has helped us compete.

In my opinion we've had poor recruitment over the summer.

Our attack seems toothless so far this season bar one or two moves which have nearly always come from missed tackles or lapses in concentration from the oppo rather than or scything runs.

Injuries to key players are mounting at an alarming rate!!

I think we will be lucky to finish 4th and we will be going out in the group stages of the erc.

Happy to be proven wrong obviously.

Just feel like I need to voice this. Am I alone in this thinking? I know it's early days etc...

Fetch away...massive over reaction.

Posted by: wombles222 (IP Logged)
Date: 24 September, 2017 16:21

What disappointed me most today was the fact we KNEW how Exeter were going to play, so the very first chance we had we kicked to them and let them do what they do! This was tactically naive and boggled my mind! If someone like me can see that coming then our boys would of surely known! Lesson learned I hope!

Posted by: NellyWellyWaspy (IP Logged)
Date: 24 September, 2017 16:54

Quote:
wombles222
What disappointed me most today was the fact we KNEW how Exeter were going to play, so the very first chance we had we kicked to them and let them do what they do! This was tactically naive and boggled my mind! If someone like me can see that coming then our boys would of surely known! Lesson learned I hope!

That lesson has had to be learned many times, but hasn't been. Despite that, for many games we got away with it.

Our injury list IS long, and includes half of our first XV and worse in the replacement XV. We can do nothing about that. It is what it is. Many are out for a long time. Being realistic, the next few games are going to be hard, but I suspect we have hit rock bottom and the only way is up. We need to get smart for a few games and do what Exeter did last year. Tighten up the game, no gifting the ball (a la Simmo box kicks to chasers we don't seem to have). Keep it simple and go for phases. We did that once today and Exeter started to get ragged until we muffed it up.

We could also do with some more defensive players in the backs, players like Gaby. de Jongh, Wade, Miller and Daly got owned today. Only when Macken came on did our line defence actually start to work.

We can do this, but it might not be pretty. #COYW

Posted by: RossM (IP Logged)
Date: 24 September, 2017 16:55

Exeter are amazingly efficient. It is currently very hard to put them off their game. Injuries have been a plague for us. If ever a game needed Cips to pick apart their rush defence, this was it.
The Hask tries very hard but he's too slow to be a 7 and maybe even a 6. Thomas Young to start next week. Simmo seems to have lost his mojo, just when we needed him to step up. Hampson's passes were noticeably zippier and there isn't any harm in starting him.
Our backs look like they have just met. Is Elliot confused - England and the Lions start him on the wing and he's playing centre for us.
If Cips had made the mistakes that Gopps made today then people on this board would be demanding his head. Is this a season too far for Jimmy at 10? Wadey can't work miracles. Nathan was immense today. We'll miss him when the autumn internationals come along. He'll have to play a lot of rugby for EJ, with Billy out for at least 4 months.

Posted by: chunky24 (IP Logged)
Date: 24 September, 2017 17:00

Agree that back row & Tommy T injuries have caused lack of balance and so turnovers few and far between which gives broken field defences for our backs to attack so fewer tries so far.

Posted by: Hulk (IP Logged)
Date: 24 September, 2017 17:11

Willis looks better each week. Far better impact than Haskell imho

Posted by: Rob Smith (IP Logged)
Date: 24 September, 2017 17:56

To date we don't seem to have addressed the new laws at the ruck. Line speed is now so important along with leg tackles. We were better in the second half and good with two genuine flankers. Equally patience/composure in attack as it's now so difficult to get turned over or get turn overs. Northampton were hugely impressive against Bath in this dept but Bath also look not to have adjusted so with them next up we should get back on the winning road.

[robsbl0g.blogspot.co.uk]
@robsmithrugby

Posted by: DrHankPym(superhero) (IP Logged)
Date: 24 September, 2017 18:31

Last week we could point to Cips missed kicks or Watson's fumble just before the touchline. This week it seemed like there were errors across the whole team. Watching us play Exeter is rarely fun, as we seem to directly play into their hands.

I remember reading on here last season from one or two people that our defensive lapses didn't matter so long as we outscored the opposition. The problem with that theory is when we come up against a side that can restrict our attack we get caught out.

For all that we can think that we can score against any team, I daresay the other 11 Premiership teams know that they can score against us (even if in most of those cases it won't cost us the match).

Anyway as depressed/disappointed as I am tonight, I still reckon we will finish in top 4. I'm not sure I fancy our chances of making the final again if we finish outside top 2 (unless Saints or Leicester in those positions). Exeter and Sarries know how to shut us down and beat us, bar the odd game at Ricoh.

If winning isn't everything, why do they keep score? - Vince Lombardi

Posted by: Rob Smith (IP Logged)
Date: 24 September, 2017 18:39

Lack of aggression/technique in defence does matter much, much more now with the new laws otherwise you won't see the ball.

[robsbl0g.blogspot.co.uk]
@robsmithrugby

Posted by: Bracken&Macken (IP Logged)
Date: 24 September, 2017 18:56

Rob, I'd be interested to know if you think the new rules have gone too far?

The ruck seems completely pointless now with the only viable turnover option now being a big hit to dislodge the ball. Surely this will have the opposite intended impact on player safety with players taking 'shots' running out of the line tying to line guys up for the hit?

Posted by: welsh wasp (IP Logged)
Date: 24 September, 2017 19:02

I was sitting in th SW Comms watching Exeter run hard at us through the first half. Dare I say they scored their tries easily, once without a defender near them.

Things looked up when Hampson & Macken came on - more speed and more urgency. Hughes & Symons had good games.

Current Page: 1 of 4
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net