Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Teams Up
Posted by: Raggs (IP Logged)
Date: 06 October, 2017 20:49

Nothing fundamentally wrong with standing deep, but it doesn't work when the rest of the structure is setup for the 10 to be closer.

Posted by: Twickwasp (IP Logged)
Date: 06 October, 2017 22:23

Sorry what 'academy kids' are being given a go?
The players in the starting team are all in the main squad and only tom Willis is in the academy on the bench

Posted by: Mellie (IP Logged)
Date: 06 October, 2017 22:30

The problem standing deep is when the rush defence is up quickly you haven't even got near the gainline. That has been compounded by the pullback pass on the 2nd wave attack taking us back even further.

I think teams have targeted this as we have been a bit predictable and they have realised linespeed will do us. Ergo our tactics have put us under pressure. It only worked against Sale because Cips was flatter and more deceptive coupled with Sales defence being slower.

Posted by: Dgwasp (IP Logged)
Date: 07 October, 2017 07:12

I can't argue with what Dai has put out. He has given some of the fringe players a decent stage to try and put in a performance, it could be lambs to the slaughter, however if that is the case it just shows that we have a decent first team without being a great squad. I personally think each of the players that have been picked are fully capable, it is just the first time that so many have been put together that is the risk.

Posted by: bg (IP Logged)
Date: 07 October, 2017 07:59

Watching the Quins v Sale game it appears the Quins coaches (probably Nick Evans) have pinpointed a way to hold the rush defence back a little with the occasional chip (by either Care or Smith) just over the defensive line. Problem is it requires a very deft touch with the boot to do that.. which Care and Smith obviously have.

Posted by: Hulk (IP Logged)
Date: 07 October, 2017 08:00

Personally, we know itís a likely loss. I would like to see strong individual improvements in form and the new guys taking their opportunity.

Iím not expecting miracles but by completing basics and the back line not just going through the hands. Getting the offload game going is crucial for me

Regards to earlier comments of the AP being over, previous years have seen Exeter and Leicester have terrible starts and coming back to the play offs. Anyone can beat anyone af the moment so 3rd and 4th are def up for grabs.

Posted by: Petros (IP Logged)
Date: 07 October, 2017 09:10

When we won our string of Championships we never started the season well. I seem to recollect that on one occasion we were 10 or 11 at Christmas and then stormed up to second before winning the final!

Current Page: 2 of 2
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net