Savete, salve: all in a day (just about)....
Posted by: asteriskszegol (IP Logged)
Date: 13 February, 2018 09:53

So, it is salvete to Sam, Danny and the Hask; great men all, each in their own way. It has been a privilege.

But then, salve to Willis the Elder: the most devastating performance by a Wasps backrower since Wurzel and a certain French cabbage patch. Incroyable!

What a strange weekend, and what a mixture of emotions.

Re: Savete, salve: all in a day (just about)....
Posted by: FishingWasp (IP Logged)
Date: 13 February, 2018 10:49

And in English for the less scholarly ??? - We didn't all benefit from learning [presumably] Latin and/or Italian at school.

Willis must be due to a call up by now from fast Eddie? ( a la Smith and Ebitoye) - and with Willis the Younger being feted as even better

Was that when Wurzel got a "backhander" from a certain Leicester player (senior moment - cant recall the name), or when he nullified Mr Roberts?

Posted by: Raggs (IP Logged)
Date: 13 February, 2018 10:54

I fear that the media praise that Willis jr has received has placed him firmly in the "Cannot be picked" pile by Eddie. Shame, such a short lived international prospect!

Posted by: tappers1975 (IP Logged)
Date: 13 February, 2018 10:56

sorry, but hate to be a Latin pedant............

vale (s), valete (pl) is farewell/ goodbye

salve (s), salvete (pl) is hello

blimey only took 21 years for that classics degree to come in useful![:wor kid:]

Posted by: lamiasquadra (IP Logged)
Date: 13 February, 2018 11:02

Quote:
FishingWasp
Was that when Wurzel got a "backhander" from a certain Leicester player (senior moment - cant recall the name), or when he nullified Mr Roberts?

The Lecester player of whom you are thinking is Neil Back in 2006 Premiership final. The reference in the OP was, I think, to Wurzel’s performance in the 2004 Heineken final.

Posted by: asteriskszegol (IP Logged)
Date: 13 February, 2018 11:33

(Sorry about the typo in the title!)

Thought 'salve' was actually a multi-use hello/goodbye greeting in the manner of a salute, so it could go either way, in meeting or farewell - but am prepared to be corrected!! (Dictionaries tell us that, in fact, we're both right...). Used it to try and mark the significance of the moment.

The performance by Wurzel that I was talking about was, in fact, either at Castres or Perpignan, I can't remember which, and was maybe in the 2004 cup-winning year - again I can't remember for sure. Whatever - and in the manner of the two other performances mentioned, one for England when he did a proper job on Jamie Roberts, and one in a cup final at Twickers, when he chopped down everything in his way - he was immense and tackled himself into the turf.

Either way, it's a sad farewell to great servants, and a hail to the new kid on the block - all at once.

Posted by: FishingWasp (IP Logged)
Date: 13 February, 2018 13:12

Thanks Lamiasquadra, that's the one.
Wurzel certainly was a great servant for Wasps and England.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net