Current Page: 1 of 2
Who would be the next No.8 in line?
Posted by: StevieWasp (IP Logged)
Date: 13 February, 2018 21:27

With Simmonds out, it looks like Nathan will be fit again to play for the rest of the 6 nations.
However, if he wasn't who is the next no.8 in the England squad, and just for a bit of debate, who do you think should be England's 4th choice No.8?

Re: Who would be the next No.8 in line?
Date: 13 February, 2018 21:28

And to sort of answer part of my own question, what's happened to Ben Morgan?

Posted by: AKWasp (IP Logged)
Date: 13 February, 2018 21:41

Mercer? Heís the only remaining out and out 8 in the squad after Nathan. Wouldnít be surprised to see Robshaw/Underhill at 8 with the other at 7, even a shout that Hask could return to 8

Posted by: Heathen (IP Logged)
Date: 13 February, 2018 21:53

Hask at 6, if anything. I think that Jack's performances clearly demonstrate the attributes required for the modern back row player. His time will come sooner rather than later IMHO.

Posted by: Nopace (IP Logged)
Date: 13 February, 2018 22:28

Big fan of Zack Mercer, but giving away 50lbs is going to be a problem. Iím sure EJ and the management team have though this through but 9 and 8 looks a bit thin.

Posted by: doctorkmt1 (IP Logged)
Date: 13 February, 2018 22:50

Quote:
Nopace
. Iím sure EJ and the management team have though this through.

Hahaa

Posted by: bg (IP Logged)
Date: 14 February, 2018 10:20

Quote:
StevieWasp
And to sort of answer part of my own question, what's happened to Ben Morgan?

He had a dip in form aafter coming back from a horrific leg break.. then finally when he got back up to speed Glos then went into the doldrums. He's still playing for them but obviously off the EJ radar.

Date: 14 February, 2018 10:49

Quote:
Nopace
Big fan of Zack Mercer, but giving away 50lbs is going to be a problem. Iím sure EJ and the management team have though this through but 9 and 8 looks a bit thin.

I always want my No.8 to be a big, heavy but athletic ball carrier.
We've seen the destruction they can cause with Billy and Nathan, as well as others such as Waldrom. If they have 80+ minute gas tanks then I can't believe there's a better option.

However, there definitely a move for smaller 8's these days.
Simmonds and Mercer are 2, but we also have Guy Thompson who plays 8 if Nathan is unavailable.
Even Nizaam Carr isn't a giant. Faletau is also about 20kg lighter than Vunipola.

Is there an argument that smaller, faster 8's are the way forward, or is it just really difficult to find 125kg No. 8's who can keep going for a full match at international level intensity?

Posted by: Raggs (IP Logged)
Date: 14 February, 2018 10:53

I don't think you can say something is necessarily the way forward, it's just a different way. Keiran Read is fast and athletic, but the ABs have their locks and their 6 doing the heavier lifting. BV in my mind is a freak, and the front foot ball he can generate from nothing, is well worth having in a side.

Date: 14 February, 2018 11:18

Big problem with England is that other than Sinkler there are no other explosive heavy ball carriers when Billy and Nathan are injured. I think that if Lawes and Itoje were a bit more explosive, Eddie might be more inclined to stick with a lighter 8. I will add that I do think that Itoje and Lawes need to improve that side of their game internationally. Think Joe makes a lot more clean breaks than them which is surprising considering heís a little slower than the both of them (correct me if Iím wrong)

Date: 14 February, 2018 11:22

Joe is an acceptable heavy carrier. The Vunipolas are the best we have, Sinkler is good, Hughes is good too. Other than that, none of the other options are really upto it, Simmonds and Lawes are good on the fringe.

Posted by: Trev's Big Tackle (IP Logged)
Date: 14 February, 2018 11:37

Kruis?

Date: 14 February, 2018 12:04

I've always thought that Jamie George is pretty handy in that respect too.
Definitely not BillyV standard, but he seems to use his weight and shape well.

Date: 14 February, 2018 12:06

George runs great lines I reckon, but that needs front foot ball in the first place.

Posted by: Bzzzz (IP Logged)
Date: 14 February, 2018 12:53

problem is that EJ chooses big lumps for the forwards who have no pace or agility, if the no 8 makes a break he is stuffed because no-one is quick or smart enough to go with him and he is isolated and turned over.....

we need an off loading game with the big forwards going a couple of yards at a time with support...

Posted by: Hangover (IP Logged)
Date: 14 February, 2018 15:37

I know I keep banging on about him but with the guys missing I would go with Armand he has been brilliant for at least two seasons and is a big lump.

If you want an even want bigger unit what about Dave Ewers.

Garvey he has a great engine and is consistently good.

There are loads out there Eddie would just have to pick someone who isn't completely out of left field (Gary Graham !!!) or 12 years old.

Posted by: Buzzboy (IP Logged)
Date: 14 February, 2018 16:21

I hear Quins U9s have a player Eddie is going to call up in to the next training squad.
Heís getting Barcelona FC to come over and do some football skills with the backs.
Then the forwards are having some sesssions with the Elephants from London Zoo.
Canít say my source is 100% reliable tho...

Posted by: Nomad_Wasp (IP Logged)
Date: 14 February, 2018 17:10

isn't Mercer bigger than Simonds?

Wilson from Newcastle has to be worth a look.

Date: 14 February, 2018 17:23

Quote:
Bzzzzz
problem is that EJ chooses big lumps for the forwards who have no pace or agility, if the no 8 makes a break he is stuffed because no-one is quick or smart enough to go with him and he is isolated and turned over.....
we need an off loading game with the big forwards going a couple of yards at a time with support...

The quick pick and go gameplan worked really well against wales using that sort of idea

Posted by: Laterontoday (IP Logged)
Date: 14 February, 2018 17:26

Nathan didnít look match fit enough for international rugby last weekend. Surely needs a couple of games to get his game head on.

Current Page: 1 of 2
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net