OT Get in!!
Posted by: Silent Bob (IP Logged)
Date: 07 July, 2018 17:53

😀

Re: OT Get in!!
Posted by: Speach (IP Logged)
Date: 07 July, 2018 18:37

Huh??

"Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat."
Sun Tzu

Posted by: John Tee (IP Logged)
Date: 07 July, 2018 19:53

Indeed...into the semi's

Posted by: RossM (IP Logged)
Date: 07 July, 2018 20:12

Quote:
Silent Bob
😀

Not known as Silent Bob for nothingwinking smiley

Posted by: Heathen (IP Logged)
Date: 08 July, 2018 05:20

Marginal gains. Huge credit to Southgate for consulting SCW SDB and using quality staff. Eddie could learn a lot from him.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/07/2018 05:21 by Heathen.

Posted by: Raggs (IP Logged)
Date: 08 July, 2018 05:33

Quote:
Heathen
Marginal gains. Huge credit to Southgate for consulting SCW SDB and using quality staff. Eddie could learn a lot from him.

Funny, Lancaster did all that stuff and got panned (he screwed up big time in the end, but had his gamble with bringing in the cycling fitness coach come off, he'd have been praised).

Eddie has consulted a lot of other successful coaches from a lot of sports...

Posted by: Gaz (IP Logged)
Date: 08 July, 2018 09:28

Congrats to the football boys, fantastic achievement and surpassed all hopes and expectations. Well done.

So ...

The main difference between Gareth and Eddie is not who they talk to, because they have spoken to each other. It is that Gareth has made his environment and enjoyable and positive one that the players are clearly thriving in. Eddie prefers the bootcamp approach which may pay off. Well find out in about 15 months.

Date: 08 July, 2018 10:46

Do we know that the players don't enjoy being with England?

Eddie is the most successful manager England have had in winning percentage, he has a world record equaling winning run with England, and I'd guess a better win percentage than Southgate?

Perhaps the difference is Eddie has had a poor run recently, so the knives are out?

If we don't get out of the group in 2019 then Eddie has failed awfully. If we get knocked out in the quarters I'll not be happy. Semi is acceptable for me, final good, and winners obviously fantastic.

Posted by: RossM (IP Logged)
Date: 08 July, 2018 11:06

Perhaps Maro Itoje opened a small window when he said that it was nice to get back to a more loving environment when he returned to Sarries. I may have got the quote wrong but the sentiment remains the same.

Date: 08 July, 2018 11:13

Quote:
RossM
Perhaps Maro Itoje opened a small window when he said that it was nice to get back to a more loving environment when he returned to Sarries. I may have got the quote wrong but the sentiment remains the same.

He said he's had a tough couple of weeks (losses are tough) and has come back into a loving environment, a lot of the press just cut that down to loving environment.

I think that's praise for Sarries, rather than criticism for England, could be wrong of course.

Posted by: Gaz (IP Logged)
Date: 08 July, 2018 11:20

Whatever ...

Date: 08 July, 2018 20:40

It will come out in the wash, no doubt, if there is anything in it.
I also expect the tour review to highlight stuff like that....but they haven't sacked him yet.so assume he has passed that scrutiny..

Posted by: Phillywasp (IP Logged)
Date: 08 July, 2018 22:00

Different players prefer and need different styles.

Haskell has been vocal in his support for Eddie's training sessions compared to Stuart Lancaster's. Not just the training but overall style of management too - but then again Haskell was getting regularly picked by EJ.

Other players have arguable performed better under Lancaster - who's stewardship they've enjoyed more is guesswork.

For me, England training and England matches should be the part of the year and part of the season that players look forward to the most. That's to say, the best facilities, get the most out of sessions, have the right balance of hard training and down-time and physical and mental recovery.
Every single player should want to be part of that environment not just because it's the national team - but because it improves them as a player whilst being a fun and enjoyable place to be. Fun/enjoyment and hard, physical training are not mutually exclusive.

Posted by: waspie08 (IP Logged)
Date: 09 July, 2018 06:54

So much is speculation, and players, whatever sport, rarely seem to enjoy an environment when their team is losing. The proof of any pudding re coaching is how the team plays. The football team look like they know what they are doing and in their set-pieces are clearly superbly drilled so that free-kicks, corners etc are a potent threat. Recently the England rugby team has looked out of sorts and somewhat chaotic, particularly in defence, and the same mistakes/faults keep reoccuring. My fear about EJ is that his track record suggest he is good short-term and much less effective over longer periods of time. Hopefully he can turn it around but last half dozen matches or so have not provided lots of grounds for optimism.

Posted by: WaspieFrank (IP Logged)
Date: 09 July, 2018 09:09

I understand that his form drops off after twoish years but has he ever had the chance to play a team through that trough or has he always been sacked, we do not really have time to find another coach/manager and change players tactics etc.before the RWC, think we just have to back him!

Date: 09 July, 2018 12:18

Can we rebuild all that good work....is there an appetite or capability. I'm nor sure there is.
Do we have all good coaches on board?
I'm feeling there aren't many 'yes's' in there.

I think we'll limp to the RWC on a wing and prayer.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net