It is not Dai
Posted by: Gaz (IP Logged)
Date: 09 July, 2018 17:59

Scarlets head coach Wayne Pivac will succeed Warren Gatland as Wales coach on a four-year deal

[www.bbc.co.uk]

Pretty much as expected. Shame for Dai but I think he ruled himself out last year by signing anew contract with wasps. Great for us though!

Re: It is not Dai
Posted by: westwaleswasp (IP Logged)
Date: 10 July, 2018 06:03

Dai has always said he wants to coach internationally, not Wales specifically. He probably needs silver trophies in the locker before he could get a top job.

Re: It is not Dai
Posted by: chunky24 (IP Logged)
Date: 10 July, 2018 13:20

Probably means Howley becomes available after the world cup as well, has been criticised in many parts but Gatland sticks by him and he is no sufferer of fools.

Re: It is not Dai
Posted by: Trev's Big Tackle (IP Logged)
Date: 10 July, 2018 15:41

He seems to be okay as a coach but Wales do not perform when he is the acting head-honcho. Will he stay a coach or look to become DOR somewhere, I wonder.

Re: It is not Dai
Posted by: chunky24 (IP Logged)
Date: 10 July, 2018 16:35

Quote:
Trev's Big Tackle
He seems to be okay as a coach but Wales do not perform when he is the acting head-honcho. Will he stay a coach or look to become DOR somewhere, I wonder.

I would have thought he would want a fresh start out of Wales probably as a dor where he can develop his own systems rather than as a probably restricted stand in.

Re: It is not Dai
Posted by: Mellie (IP Logged)
Date: 10 July, 2018 18:09

Quote:
Trev's Big Tackle
He seems to be okay as a coach but Wales do not perform when he is the acting head-honcho.

Except when he won the 6 Nations in 2013!

Re: It is not Dai
Posted by: westwaleswasp (IP Logged)
Date: 10 July, 2018 18:14

Howley has an awful reputation here. I can't think of a less popular coach, his reputation as a coach is on a par with the playing reputations of Priestland and Cuthbert, the former of which left to escape the attention. They really twist the knife, makes the Tigers board's view of Lancaster seem warm and friendly by comparison.
I think he would do well to leave and go into club coaching.

Re: It is not Dai
Posted by: welsh wasp (IP Logged)
Date: 10 July, 2018 21:31

www's comments might be said to be somewhat subjective from the critical side.
Priestland made a great contribution when he played for Wales. Cuthbert started very well as a wing alongside North but then seemed to lose both confidence and skills.Both have now moved to clubs in England.
Howley will always be remembered by Wasps fans for his contribution in the HEC final against Toulouse. Its odd that he is the only member of the Wales coaching team who seems to get negative opinions. He certainly had a hard act to follow when he deputised for Gatland when Gatts was planning the Lions' trip to New Zealand.

Re: It is not Dai
Posted by: WiseWasps! (IP Logged)
Date: 11 July, 2018 14:19

In my experience and also having spoken to many players and coaches who have worked with him. Howley is as dedicated and effective a coach as he was a player. I dont think he is great with the media and sadly i feel he became the one who it was popular to poke fun of and the welsh public each being the most knowledgable rugby fans in the world went along with what was being written in the papers. His track record speaks for itself. Having witnessed first hand how hard the guy works i think he is owed alot more credit than his reputation being decided by some casual fans who have no idea what he contributes to a team.

Re: It is not Dai
Posted by: westwaleswasp (IP Logged)
Date: 11 July, 2018 15:38

Quote:
welsh wasp
www's comments might be said to be somewhat subjective from the critical side.
Priestland made a great contribution when he played for Wales. Cuthbert started very well as a wing alongside North but then seemed to lose both confidence and skills.Both have now moved to clubs in England.
Howley will always be remembered by Wasps fans for his contribution in the HEC final against Toulouse. Its odd that he is the only member of the Wales coaching team who seems to get negative opinions. He certainly had a hard act to follow when he deputised for Gatland when Gatts was planning the Lions' trip to New Zealand.

No, you misunderstand I think. Those are not my opinions. They are the opinions of the average punter and rugby press. I don't feel that way about Howley, who cannot be judged on his tenure as a substitute for Gatland, or Priestland, who I much admire. Cuthbert I don't rate, but he is a hate figure here beyond all proportion.



Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/07/2018 15:41 by westwaleswasp.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net