A question about the laws
Posted by: StevieWasp (IP Logged)
Date: 21 September, 2018 20:56

Why is it that a tackled player is only penalised for holding on IF someone is actively trying to steal the ball?

It's my understanding that a tackled player must release the ball immediately.

It would therefore seem that it wouldn't be necessary to actively trying to steal the ball, to force a penalty for holding on.
You see lots of rucks where the tackled player holds onto the ball until the scrum half is ready, but because no one is trying to steal the ball, there's never a penalty.

Is it that the "immediately" part of the law is actually seen as a few seconds, maybe up to 5?
Or is it just that there's a semi official unwritten rule that says you can hold onto the ball providing no one else wants it

Re: A question about the laws
Date: 21 September, 2018 20:58

As a follow up question, you quite often see the tackled player at the bottom of the ruck pick the ball up after he's released it so that the scrum half can just take it out of his hands.

Surely this is illegal too.
Once you're tackled and on the floor, you're out of the game and shouldn't be able to touch the ball again

Posted by: chunky24 (IP Logged)
Date: 21 September, 2018 21:39

A tackle only becomes a ruck once one other player from each side arrives, until then the tackled player can reasonably place, pass or push the ball away as stated within the laws.

With the other point technically once a ruck is formed no one should play with their hands but it is often allowed for the tackled player to pop or place and control with his hand if his team has clearly won the ball and doesn't affect the other team competing to win it.

As with most rucks, offences could be blown both ways most of the time so ball coming out reasonably quickly and positively is generally favoured by the referee and the authorities.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 21/09/2018 21:40 by chunky24.

Posted by: Nomad_Wasp (IP Logged)
Date: 21 September, 2018 22:37

The tackled player is allowed to place the ball, and the defender has to allow that before latching on. If there's no latch, the tackled player doesn't have to completely release the ball and can hold it at the back.

But you're right that they then can't lift it into the 9s hands

Date: 22 September, 2018 08:39

Hey chunky
In my first point, I did mean to say that a ruck has formed, but no one is actively trying to steal the ball.
I.e. just a couple of forwards on either side jockeying for position.

As for picking the ball up and holding it for the 9, I don't have too much of a problem with it. It's not going to affect the outcome of a game. However, I've seen numerous accidental knock ons when a scrum half fumbles the ball on the floor because they're looking at everything around them.
Have the ball held in the air seems to make it less likely that this will happen

Posted by: chunky24 (IP Logged)
Date: 22 September, 2018 10:41

You are told as a referee to see if a players actions have a material effect on the game, if not try to let the game continue otherwise you would be blowing every couple of seconds!
So a tackled player popping it up to the 9 from a ruck is generally accepted as long as the ruck is clearly won by his team as it has no material effect on the outcome of the ruck.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net