Briz this weekend
Posted by: Heathen (IP Logged)
Date: 06 November, 2018 13:08

Wasps quoted as saying that they will be fielding as near to a full strength 23 as they can muster against Bristol.

So take out the LTIs, international call ups and one suspension and you are already 9 down!

Re: Briz this weekend
Posted by: bald.paul.101 (IP Logged)
Date: 06 November, 2018 16:33

can anyone remember whether WLR will be available or will he play for the saffas?

Posted by: NellyWellyWaspy (IP Logged)
Date: 06 November, 2018 16:44

With the Saffas

Posted by: Matt82 (IP Logged)
Date: 06 November, 2018 17:04

I'd go...

1) McIntyre
2) Cruse
3) JCW
4) Gaskell
5) Matthews
6) Morris
7) Atkinson
8) Willis

9) Porter
10) Searle
11) Ambrose
12) Simonds
13) Neal
14) Watson (Sirker if not fit)
15) Miller

16) Harris
17) West
18) Stuart
19) Myall
20) Ashley
21) Hampson
22) Gaby
23) Sirker (James)

Posted by: neils (IP Logged)
Date: 06 November, 2018 18:09

Nope far stronger than that. Almost the team for the next match - get them working together. No mamby pambying about. Blitz Bristol.

Date: 06 November, 2018 18:12

Dai said this would be his 'strongest 23'.

That surely means:

15 Rob Miller
14 Josh Bassett
13 Juan de Jongh
12 Michael Le Bourgeois
11 Curtis Ambrose
10 Lima Sopoaga
9 Joe Simpson

1 Simon McIntyre
2 Tommy Taylor
3 Jake Copper-Woolley
4 Will Rowlands
5 James Gaskell
6 Ben Morris
7 Thomas Young
8 Nizaam Carr

Replacements
16 Tom Cruse
17 Zurabi Zhvania Tom West as ZZ on international duty
18 Will Stuart
19 Kearnan Myall
20 Ashley Johnson
21 Craig Hampson
22 Billy Searle
23 Owain James

Far from sure about the forwards. Not really.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/11/2018 18:35 by NellyWellyWaspy.

Posted by: bg (IP Logged)
Date: 06 November, 2018 18:15

I thought Matthews had a good game and Curtley was keen as mustard last week. Porter seems to be one of these rare beasts that thinks on his feet.. seeing gaps where others don't

Posted by: Heathen (IP Logged)
Date: 06 November, 2018 18:21

ZZ with Georgia.

Date: 06 November, 2018 18:34

Quote:
Heathen
ZZ with Georgia.
West then?

Date: 06 November, 2018 18:34

Quote:
NellyWellyWaspy
Dai said this would be his 'strongest 23'.
That surely means:

15 Rob Miller
14 Josh Bassett
13 Juan de Jongh
12 Michael Le Bourgeois
11 Curtis Ambrose
10 Lima Sopoaga
9 Joe Simpson

1 Simon McIntyre
2 Tommy Taylor
3 Jake Copper-Woolley
4 Will Rowlands
5 James Gaskell
6 Ben Morris
7 Thomas Young
8 Nizaam Carr

Replacements
16 Tom Cruse
17 Zurabi Zhvania
18 Will Stuart
19 Kearnan Myall
20 Ashley Johnson
21 Craig Hampson
22 Billy Searle
23 Owain James

Far from sure about the forwards. Not really.

If Willis isn't in I'd be surprised. He's surely pushed his case in these games. Would certainly have Porter on the bench. Brookes in for ZZ if he's with Georgia and West not fit (who I thought did well). Not sure Ambrose did enough to suggest he's up to it at the moment. Would have Watson ahead of him currently.

Posted by: StevieWasp (IP Logged)
Date: 06 November, 2018 20:38

I doubt Brookes will be switching to loose head.

A lot will depend on how JCW and McIntyre came through the last game. If they're totally fine, then I'd start with them, probably with Brookes and West on the bench, but I'd be happy for that to be swapped around.

Is Rowlands fit? I thought I remembered something about an injury, but if not, I agree with him, Gaskell, and then either Matthews or Myall on the bench. With Launchbury still out, it might be a good idea to be getting Matthews up to speed.

I think the starting back row will be Ash, Young and Carr, and I'd love to see Tom Willis on the bench

I can't see anything other than Simmo or Hampson being the 2 scrum halves.
similarly, Lima and Searle as the fly halves.

MlB and JdJ filling the centres

Assuming that Watson is injured, it'll presumably be Bassett, Curtis and Miller as the back 3.
(I didn't see it, but radio Northampton weren't convinced that Curtis had even touched the ball at the point were he was replaced at the weekend)

That leaves one bench spot. We need cover at centre, but also for the back 3.
That may see Searle miss out completely with Neal and James taking the bench places... MlB or Miller to act as fly half cover. (I don't like those options, but it's only Prem Cup)

Posted by: Shugs (IP Logged)
Date: 06 November, 2018 20:45

Agree with the above that we should and probably will play our strongest team this weekend. The extra reason for doing so is the proximity of the league game. A case of putting our foot on their throats and keeping it their (in the nicest possible way)!

Date: 07 November, 2018 06:13

Quote:
StevieWasp
... I didn't see it, but radio Northampton weren't convinced that Curtis had even touched the ball at the point were he was replaced at the weekend...

He had the ball many times in the first half. One ball he received was at his ankles and he scooped that up without pausing. He also knocked backwards a high ball that should have been caught by the Saints winger contesting the high ball, which was then gathered by another Wasps player.

The problem was, Gaby kept doing sideways runs forcing us out to the wing, and then tried to burst through, and was always tackled and sometimes lost the ball. Hard to run with a ball that you don't get passed to you.

Posted by: FishingWasp (IP Logged)
Date: 07 November, 2018 12:50

Quote:
Shugs
Agree with the above that we should and probably will play our strongest team this weekend. The extra reason for doing so is the proximity of the league game. A case of putting our foot on their throats and keeping it their (in the nicest possible way)!
And not only a league game, but the next two games are against Saints and Bristol. Psychological downer if the two preceding games are losses - and at home -to the same two teams, albeit in a minor competition. Must have a convincing win this weekend IMHO, best achieved by fielding our strongest team.

Posted by: Nomad_Wasp (IP Logged)
Date: 08 November, 2018 09:59

Bristol will be picking a strong side for this I imagine.

By the sounds of things Neal has had an impressive couple of weeks, so maybe we should look to keep him involved?

Harris could come back in to contention at LH. Hampson has been doing the media rounds so imagine he will start. I'd still have Porter on the bench as we're going to be relying on Joe a lot for the next 9 weeks or so.

But whatever happens, we just need to win to re-establish a bit of momentum and belief.

Date: 08 November, 2018 11:08

Quote:
Nomad_Wasp
Bristol will be picking a strong side for this I imagine.
By the sounds of things Neal has had an impressive couple of weeks, so maybe we should look to keep him involved?

Harris could come back in to contention at LH. Hampson has been doing the media rounds so imagine he will start. I'd still have Porter on the bench as we're going to be relying on Joe a lot for the next 9 weeks or so.

But whatever happens, we just need to win to re-establish a bit of momentum and belief.

I'd have Porter start. He looked lively when he came on with a couple of breaks and looked quicker at the ruck.

Posted by: backdoc (IP Logged)
Date: 08 November, 2018 11:24

I disagree. I think Hampson was very sharp and his distribution to Searle was excellent. Porter stood and watched before committing himself too many times - understandable for his level of experience and familiarity.

I don't understand the criticism on here of the backs on sunday. They made good ground on almost every phase of possession.

Posted by: neils (IP Logged)
Date: 08 November, 2018 11:27

Sorry but the strongest team should be THE strongest team. After Sunday we are back in the real world of competition rugby (ie matches that matter) and we need to be sharp with as many lessons learnt from the past few games. If there are spaces on the bench for high achievers of the past two weeks then bench them bur we need our first choice squad match fit for the following week.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net