Gats next for England?
Posted by: Gaz (IP Logged)
Date: 05 December, 2018 11:17

Noticed that Nigel Melville has said he will ask Gats of his plans after the 2019 RWC.

Steve Hansen has said he will make an announcement imminently - suggesting he might be off after the world cup.

So is Gats in the frame for the NZ job? Would he take the England job if offered?

[www.theguardian.com]

Re: Gats next for England?
Posted by: DrHankPym(superhero) (IP Logged)
Date: 05 December, 2018 11:33

I think New Zealand will promote from within, if not then you'd think Schmidt would be first choice from the "outsiders".

Not sure Gats would want the England job, unless he had more control of the player. Doubt RFU are in a financial position to negotiate greater player release with Prem clubs.

Problem is not sure who the best English candidate is if Rob Baxter were to turn it down.

If winning isn't everything, why do they keep score? - Vince Lombardi

Posted by: neils (IP Logged)
Date: 05 December, 2018 11:42

Schmidt has said he is completely retiring and not interested in AB Role.

Posted by: mike909 (IP Logged)
Date: 05 December, 2018 11:54

If Gats was interested, I think he'd have the skills to deal with the RFU etc, and I think his record of longer term planning is of more interest to England too.

I'd see it as a significant step up - but not sure he'd take it.

I think the pressure on an English coach is almost too great now - overseas coaches can slightly take cover behind not being English (if that makes sense!)

I think Gats would provide a more coherent selection policy too

Posted by: Heathen (IP Logged)
Date: 05 December, 2018 12:48

Hansen's replacement is rumoured to be Scott Robertson.

Posted by: welsh wasp (IP Logged)
Date: 05 December, 2018 13:13

Gatland was interviewed for the England job in the past but Rob Andrew didnít want him

Posted by: Beckenham Bandit (IP Logged)
Date: 05 December, 2018 13:52

Quote:
DrHankPym(superhero)
I think New Zealand will promote from within, if not then you'd think Schmidt would be first choice from the "outsiders".
Not sure Gats would want the England job, unless he had more control of the player. Doubt RFU are in a financial position to negotiate greater player release with Prem clubs.

Problem is not sure who the best English candidate is if Rob Baxter were to turn it down.

Dean Richards.

Posted by: DrHankPym(superhero) (IP Logged)
Date: 05 December, 2018 15:01

Quote:
Beckenham Bandit
Quote:
DrHankPym(superhero)

Dean Richards.

I think he was the favourite before Lancaster got the job, but ended up with blood on his hands (or close to it).

If winning isn't everything, why do they keep score? - Vince Lombardi

Posted by: mike909 (IP Logged)
Date: 05 December, 2018 15:11

Quote:
welsh wasp
Gatland was interviewed for the England job in the past but Rob Andrew didnít want him

Seems like quite a recommendation, now!

Posted by: Beckenham Bandit (IP Logged)
Date: 05 December, 2018 15:51

Quote:
mike909
Quote:
welsh wasp

Seems like quite a recommendation, now!

The Welsh got to Gatland first. Before England were even knocked out of the 2007 World Cup and before Brian Ashton had lost his job. The WRU sacked Gareth Jenkins in the carpark after wales were knocked out of the 2007 World Cup after losing their decisive pool match to Fiji. and then immediately contacted Gatland and offered him the job before the World Cup was even over. The English RFU never stood a chance.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net