Current Page: 1 of 4
The knives are out
Posted by: Belfast Wasp (IP Logged)
Date: 06 December, 2018 19:39

Seems like Wasps are the flavour of the moment with the hacks, latest on rugby pass.

Things seem to be going from bad to worse for Wasps at the moment, who recently recorded rising financial losses and increased debt, as well as reports circulating that Nathan Hughes, Elliot Daly and Willie le Roux are set to leave the club.

Hughes has been linked with a £500,000 move to Bristol Bears, Daly is reportedly set to join Saracens Ė for a salary, RugbyPass understands, lower than the one he was offered by Wasps Ė and Le Roux seems to be bound for a stint in Japan.

RugbyPass sources have confirmed to us three more names to add to the list, with Jake Cooper-Woolley, Matt Mullan and Simon McIntyre all also set to depart the club.

Mullan and McIntyre are both edging closer to agreeing terms with other clubs, whilst Cooper-Woolley has agreed a lucrative deal with Sale Sharks. Sale have been struggling to find a tighthead to anchor their scrum in recent seasons, but believe enough in Cooper-Woolley to invest £300,000 a season in the prop, a substantial increase on his current salary at Wasps.

In addition to those departures, both Joe Simpson and Will Stuart are likely to leave the club, too. Simpson is one of the last players at the club from their time in High Wycombe, whilst Stuart is one of the more promising players to come through the clubís academy in recent seasons.

Should all these moves be confirmed, Wasps are going to have sizeable holes to fill at loosehead, tighthead, number eight, scrum-half, outside centre and full-back.

Wasps director of rugby Dai Young clearly has his work cut out this season, not only trying to convince a number of players to stay, but also to fill the numerous holes rapidly emerging in the Coventry-based sideís squad.

Re: The knives are out
Posted by: Bracken&Macken (IP Logged)
Date: 06 December, 2018 19:50

Lines up with what Dai said, we canít match Hughes at 500k and JCW at 300k because it is ridiculous money for the players they are. We should not be paying them that.

Only two weeks ago most on here we agreed that the likes of Mullan and Simmo will be moving on due to the way the squad has developed.

This will delight the pathetic gloaters like Barnet Sarrie but itís business.

However I will admit Stuart is a worry.

Posted by: jamestaylor002 (IP Logged)
Date: 06 December, 2018 19:51

Seems to me that maybe they see us as easy pickings...

Posted by: WaspieMatt (IP Logged)
Date: 06 December, 2018 19:56

Quote:
Bracken&Macken
Lines up with what Dai said, we canít match Hughes at 500k and JCW at 300k because it is ridiculous money for the players they are. We should not be paying them that.
Only two weeks ago most on here we agreed that the likes of Mullan and Simmo will be moving on due to the way the squad has developed.

Pathetic gloater?? I think he tends to make valid reasoned points on this board.

Posted by: John Tee (IP Logged)
Date: 06 December, 2018 19:57

Or consider Wasps a feeder club.

My view is that Wasps dont have the money they need and if they are spending to cap, something doesn't add up.

Date: 06 December, 2018 19:58

Quote:
jamestaylor002

If we were easy picking they wouldnít be offering Hughes and JCW 500k and 300k respectively to get them to move.

Date: 06 December, 2018 19:59

Quote:
WaspieMatt
Quote:
Bracken&Macken

Pathetic gloater?? I think he tends to make valid reasoned points on this board.

Thatís fair enough, I donít believe he does and instead comes on here to highlight Wasps failings for no real reason.

Each to their own.

Posted by: Dgwasp (IP Logged)
Date: 06 December, 2018 20:16

There is clearly some unrest at the club, this season has felt very different in terms of team spirit. It remains to be seen what the scale of the issue is, FWIW I think Dai needs to sort the coaching team out so that he can go back to running the club and rounding off these rumours.

Posted by: COYW15 (IP Logged)
Date: 06 December, 2018 20:25

Would it not be easier at this point to start a thread of who we expect to be staying at the club for next season?

Posted by: Shugs (IP Logged)
Date: 06 December, 2018 20:29

We're only seeing one side of this story. No-one believes Wasps will lose JCW, SM, MM, ED, NH WS and WLR and not bring anyone in. However producing a balanced article that mentions they will obviously be replaced does not tick the sensationalist headline box. I support anyone in our shirt but looking at it objectively from the group mentioned I'd only be really perturbed about Stuart going. Dai and Eastwood will have a plan - they just won't be splashing it all over the press.

Posted by: Dgwasp (IP Logged)
Date: 06 December, 2018 20:37

I think my concern is that we also seem to have missed out on front row replacements in Boyce and Singleton and struggling to balance the squad.

Hey, just feeling a bit low at the moment, hopefully the squad announcement tomorrow will cheer us up a bit

Posted by: Shugs (IP Logged)
Date: 06 December, 2018 20:42

Yes, hopefully. I don't think any of us are feeling great about the prospect of losing established stars. However I do think the club is switched on and is savvy about what it's doing. I take great re-assurance from that.

Posted by: bg (IP Logged)
Date: 06 December, 2018 20:46

Quote:
Dgwasp
I think my concern is that we also seem to have missed out on front row replacements in Boyce and Singleton and struggling to balance the squad.
Hey, just feeling a bit low at the moment, hopefully the squad announcement tomorrow will cheer us up a bit

I've just been on the Sorries site and its a bit bland.. so chin up.. at least we have their idiots on our board to wind us up.. we might be £30m in a blackhole but they are in a £50m blackhole.. I wonder what their owner's children think about this

Date: 06 December, 2018 20:53

Quote:
Bracken&Macken
Quote:
jamestaylor002

If we were easy picking they wouldnít be offering Hughes and JCW 500k and 300k respectively to get them to move.

I am referring to Belfast Wasps's statement that we seem to be the flavour of the month with the media.

Date: 06 December, 2018 20:53

Quote:
Bracken&Macken
Quote:
jamestaylor002

I am referring to Belfast Wasps's statement that we seem to be the flavour of the month with the media.

Posted by: backdoc (IP Logged)
Date: 06 December, 2018 21:13

That may or may not be the case, but there is clearly a concerted media campaign, possibly sisu sponsored, to undermine the club currently.

Posted by: PhilH (IP Logged)
Date: 06 December, 2018 21:24

Quote:
Bracken&Macken
Quote:
WaspieMatt
Quote:
Bracken&Macken

Thatís fair enough, I donít believe he does and instead comes on here to highlight Wasps failings for no real reason.

Each to their own.
I value BarnetSarrieís contribution to this forum - always has something constructive to say unlike some other posters!

Posted by: Rob Smith (IP Logged)
Date: 06 December, 2018 22:04

Blimey starting to sound like a who done it murder mystery.

Is it Nick Eastwood in the boardroom with a spreadsheet ?
Is it Dai in the changing room with the whistle ?
Is it Costello in the classroom with the defensive alignment?
Is it Derek in the executive suite with the training ground plans ?
Is the the financial director in the office with the abacus ?
Or is the Premiership with a pot of gold ?

[robsbl0g.blogspot.co.uk]
@robsmithrugby

Posted by: jonnydeane (IP Logged)
Date: 06 December, 2018 22:30

Looks like we'll be facing another 'transition' year next year again!!!

WLR, Simmo, Mullan almost certainly off.
Taylor, McIntyre, Stuart, JCW, Daly, Hughes??
If all on 2 year deals De Jongh, Gaby, Watson, Harris, TJ, Langley could all be up.
Garrett has pretty much been injured for two years and could be off

And we don't know how many years the likes of the Championship signings and Curtis signed on for. Then there's Thomas Young too

Apologies for the doom and gloom

Posted by: bald.paul.101 (IP Logged)
Date: 07 December, 2018 04:41

Quote:
backdoc
there is clearly a concerted media campaign, possibly sisu sponsored, to undermine the club currently.

seriously?

this board has now officially reached new heights of nonsense!

Current Page: 1 of 4
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net