Danny Cipriani
Posted by: Shawshank (IP Logged)
Date: 10 September, 2017 20:32

Watched a recording of the Wuss v Wasps match and it made me wonder whether there has ever been a more dismal defender in top class rugby than he...?

The number of simple tackles he missed was frightening, and he must really cheese off his team-mates, as he is a gobby little fella when others make mistakes.

The guy is in cloud cuckoo land if he thinks he has any chance of an England call-up.

Re: Danny Cipriani
Posted by: Steelman (IP Logged)
Date: 10 September, 2017 21:47

Hmmm, you didn't seem to notice his good bits...not that your wrong about his tackling.Thats why we bought Tonka instead,oh that and the wages, and the beauty queens..
...where did it all go wrong Danny ?

Posted by: Ajax Treesdown (IP Logged)
Date: 10 September, 2017 22:25

Probably the most exciting attacking fly half England have.

Posted by: Nick4219 (IP Logged)
Date: 11 September, 2017 09:06

A little harsh to call out another teams player on here when we haven't played them yet. I think he gives Wasps their attacking flair which makes up for his weakness in defence and he saw the space for the kick through for the winning try against Worcester yesterday.

Whatever his off field antics of the past maybe, he's a very good player and has been unlucky with England call ups.

I don't think he's ahead of Farrell or Ford on their day but he probably deserves to be in the squad.

Posted by: LI Bohemian (IP Logged)
Date: 11 September, 2017 09:38

As AT said one of the most exciting 10's, attacking wise, his kicking is pretty good, if his defence was slightly better he would have the England call up no doubt, he is good enough to start for one of the best sides in England, he may improve his defence in the future and get a call up but England are lucky to have a wealth of talent in the fly half position

Bohemiansingles@yahoo.com
631-563-9892

Posted by: orsoncart (IP Logged)
Date: 11 September, 2017 09:43

Does remind me of Ryan Lamb, brilliant and dreadful in equal measures.

I recall Lamb coming on in Dublin and nailing two long penalties to win the game. I also recall a last minute shocker v Tigers (I think) which I think did for his time with Booth

Posted by: Chris1850 (IP Logged)
Date: 11 September, 2017 21:34

Quote:
LI Bohemian
As AT said one of the most exciting 10's, attacking wise, his kicking is pretty good, if his defence was slightly better he would have the England call up no doubt, he is good enough to start for one of the best sides in England, he may improve his defence in the future and get a call up but England are lucky to have a wealth of talent in the fly half position

In three years at Sale, his kicking in open play was often very good. His penalty/clearance kicks to touch were average at best, generally not gaining the yards expected. His kicks off the tee were poor. His stats were amongst the lowest of the recognised kickers in the prem. That said, he was great as an attacking FH in open play. Debatable whether the extra points gained from his attacking prowess won us more games or whether the points sacrificed from his dodgy kicking cost us. Wasps have the luxury of both Gopperth and Cipriani which gives them the best of both worlds

Posted by: Finno (IP Logged)
Date: 12 September, 2017 06:42

I think he can be brilliant or awful sometimes even in the same match.

He's a bit like the French, you never know which Danny is going to turn up, and that imho has cost him his England career.

Mind you, having said that, the other Danny(Care) seems to avoided the same fate and I see him in the same light as Cips! I'd have Robson ahead of Care any day for England!!

Posted by: Rosscaberry (IP Logged)
Date: 12 September, 2017 08:40

He is a magnificent playmaker. Yes I agree he is not the best tackler in the world. Nor was one of our coaches Charlie Hodgson but both are brilliant numer 10's. I think it is sad that people feel the need to criticise a player like Cipriani.
Re his personal life? What has that got to do with his skill as a rugby player? Have you met him? Are you forming your opinion based on the gutter press. How many of us would survive if all our personal lives was scrutinised by sensational journalism.
I am a fairly old git in my 70's. I happened to meet him in a pub when the whole of his team were celebrating the end of season . Yes they were all hammered apart from Cipriani who was happy to talk rugby for half an hour to a supporter.
I have no criticism of his team mates either.
Please enjoy the game without having to make personal attacks on young lads. I was a pathetic no. 10 & I am delighted my personal life has never interested the gutter press or people like you.

Posted by: Rosscaberry (IP Logged)
Date: 12 September, 2017 09:03

Overreaction on my part. Apologies for going on an unreasonable rant.

Posted by: PV (IP Logged)
Date: 12 September, 2017 10:40

Rosscaberry - I wouldn't worry as we've seen stuff far more rantworthy on this board, and it's all about opinions.

FWIW, I enjoy watching him play, but he never really got the zip in his acceleration back after that leg injury early in his career.

Ironically the best 10 they had they let go to Wasps (Lozowski). I'd say he's well behind Ford, Farrell, Lozowski and Smith (Quins) now, but could win some decent silverware with a powerful and exciting Wasps side.

Posted by: HeavyCream (IP Logged)
Date: 13 September, 2017 22:08

Quote:
Nick4219
A little harsh to call out another teams player on here when we haven't played them yet. I think he gives Wasps their attacking flair which makes up for his weakness in defence and he saw the space for the kick through for the winning try against Worcester yesterday.
Whatever his off field antics of the past maybe, he's a very good player and has been unlucky with England call ups.

I don't think he's ahead of Farrell or Ford on their day but he probably deserves to be in the squad.

I don't understand why it's harsh to critique a player? What difference does it make whether we've played against him yet or not? As fans we have a duty to critique any player we like and as stars they have a duty to accept it will happen.

Posted by: Nick4219 (IP Logged)
Date: 13 September, 2017 23:13

Quote:
HeavyCream
Quote:
Nick4219

I don't understand why it's harsh to critique a player? What difference does it make whether we've played against him yet or not? As fans we have a duty to critique any player we like and as stars they have a duty to accept it will happen.

I just think it was a bit out of the blue for someone to start a thread about Cipriani and criticise him for weaknesses in his game when A) He isn't a London Irish player so it doesn't really have any bearing to us as London Irish supporters and
b) we have not played Wasps yet when it may then be reasonable to comment on their players performances or any incidents worthy of discussion.

It seems Cipriani has a reputation amongst some elements of the press and public which is formed from no opinion of their own experience, he may be a very nice bloke but I've never met him before so couldn't possibly say whether he is or not. I've watched him play and I think he's good and is unlucky to have not had more games for England and he should have been on the last tour to Argentina in my opinion.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 13/09/2017 23:15 by Nick4219.

Posted by: HeavyCream (IP Logged)
Date: 14 September, 2017 15:25

Fair point but he's a potential England call up and therefore should most certainly be getting discussed and perhaps even slated when he falls short of the mark. I still don't see the relevance of whether or not we've played him yet though. Surely we can discuss any player any time?

Posted by: exile99 (IP Logged)
Date: 19 September, 2017 18:18

It looks like he'll be out of action for a while: BBC Sport

Whether you like him or not, I think we all wish him a speedy recovery.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net