Current Page: 3 of 5
Re: Brentford - The proposed stadium changes
Posted by: Foggy-Balla (IP Logged)
Date: 06 October, 2017 12:27

I started supporting in 2001, & don't really remember crowd sizes at the time. By the time I became a properly serious supporter who could make nearly every game as I had settled fairly close to the MadStad it was the 2006/7 season & there certainly seemed to be a lot of people around.

I am absolutely certain that in the period between about 2007 & 2010 we were regularly getting 10k for Premiership matches, and the St Patrick's Party was sold out at least once.

Faugh-a-Ballagh!

"Our prayer is 'God save Ireland' and pour blessings on her name!"

Vestigia Nulla Retrorsum

Posted by: Griff (IP Logged)
Date: 06 October, 2017 12:35

If only there were a site that kept records of these things we could look it up...

Posted by: DrV'sHairyCraic (IP Logged)
Date: 06 October, 2017 12:41

The attendance figures for a particular season can be found here.

178,499 is not a bad total. Far more than Saints or Glaws.

It may be skewed by the LDH & StP games but other teams were having their own big games too by then.

Check out a few other seasons as well. A few big numbers in there.

Posted by: DrV'sHairyCraic (IP Logged)
Date: 06 October, 2017 12:49

Quote:
Griff
If only there were a site that kept records of these things we could look it up...

Check out some of the numbers in the 09-10 season. Even if you ignore the big games, we still pulled >16K against Tigs & >19K against Sarries. Ok Sarries was Xmas but IIRC, that was the game where it was only given the go ahead to be played a few hours before KO.

Posted by: Ozzy3213 (IP Logged)
Date: 06 October, 2017 12:57

Those two games were slight anomolies though, with one being Xmas and Tiggers always bringing a big following. Average crowd was around the 10-11,000 which is still a vast improvement on recent years.

I'm not sure what this proves through other than fans are fickle. We were a top side then and got decent crowds. We declined on the field and now people who used to come don't any more. It's easy to say improve on the field and people will come, but it is impossible to guarantee quality and not really a sound premise to base a business plan on.

In any case, even with those larger than now crowds, the deal we have at the MadStad is a poor one. Staying will simply perpetuate the cycle that we are in now. Is Brentford the answer? Who knows, but it will certainly be a better deal than we currently have, and I'm pretty sure that the successful businessmen in charge of the club would not be considering it if it wasn't considered necessary by them.

Posted by: Finno (IP Logged)
Date: 06 October, 2017 13:13

The issue though isn't really around spectator numbers but financial numbers.

By all accounts(pardon the pun), the current deal at the MadStad is poor at best. The assumption is that we'd do a much better deal at Brentford, and it helps the adpiration to move back to London! I think the club see additional numbers as a bonus at this stage, until we start ripping up The Premiership(don't hold your breath!),

Personally, I prefer Reading as it is an easier commute than Brentford will be despite the additional distance from Sussex. I like being able to drive to the ground, get away easier and be home in just over an hour if the motorways are clear. But, hey ho, it's going to be Brentford and as a stadium it looks ideal for our needs.

Date: 06 October, 2017 13:14

And we know for a fact the deal with Brentford is better?

I would suggest there are many, many reasons for the erosion of the Reading support - the key one being a lack of engagement with the local area. Since it has been stated repeatedly that Irish were moving back to London I doubt many of the locals even considered offering their support. Why get into something only to have it dragged away from you?

It is interesting to note that we came very close to breaking-even at one point with either the current tenancy agreement or the previous, worse, one. So to suggest that it's impossible to make it work is, perhaps, short-sighted.

I'm afraid the increased prices, reduced fun, messing about with reserved/unreserved, removal of senior-citizen status, changing policy over Sat/Sun k.o. etc. etc. are all part of the problem. The business side of LI, in its many incarnations, has a lot of blame for the failures and how they were handled. All of this needs to stop wherever we play. The last few years I would say the club has felt way more welcoming and inclusive than previous years but there are a lot of people who've simply stopped coming and have no reason to re-engage.

Sure, moving might change some things and find new people to replace the ones we've lost but as a club we really need to not repeat those debacles.

Posted by: orsoncart (IP Logged)
Date: 06 October, 2017 13:46

Lot of sense in Griff's comments.

I don't know the Reading deal and have to accept that it's a poor one, incapable of being improved. What I do think is that the club is running a risk of losing much of its Berkshire support by a failure to engage with it

I've been shot down in the past over this, but IMHO the Club needs to be communicating actively and vigorously, to mitigate against most of this support not following to Brentford. Right now, the silence over Brentford and its impact is deafening, and as a consequence, rumour and gossip are driving communications

Of course there may be a high level of confidence that any lost support can be more than covered by new W London support. But I'd prefer to reduce my risk by bringing supporters with me rather than immediately having to go out and find replacements.

Just a view

Posted by: Finno (IP Logged)
Date: 06 October, 2017 13:58

Quote:
orsoncart
Lot of sense in Griff's comments.
I don't know the Reading deal and have to accept that it's a poor one, incapable of being improved. What I do think is that the club is running a risk of losing much of its Berkshire support by a failure to engage with it

I've been shot down in the past over this, but IMHO the Club needs to be communicating actively and vigorously, to mitigate against most of this support not following to Brentford. Right now, the silence over Brentford and its impact is deafening, and as a consequence, rumour and gossip are driving communications

Of course there may be a high level of confidence that any lost support can be more than covered by new W London support. But I'd prefer to reduce my risk by bringing supporters with me rather than immediately having to go out and find replacements.

Just a view

I agree, the club must prioritise against losing support before hoping to attract new ones!

Posted by: AlecW (IP Logged)
Date: 06 October, 2017 14:09

I see what you say, Griff, but changing policy re the Saturday /Sunday was largely driven by whether Reading were in the Prem, was it not?

Date: 06 October, 2017 14:13

Not really Alec, certainly that does dictate some changes but there have been periods where when we had the choice we chose Saturdays and others when we chose Sundays. Arguments can be made for both days but we really needed to make a choice and stick with it - you'd disenfranchise one preference but only one. What we've done is disenfranchise both.

Date: 06 October, 2017 14:19

Quote:
AlecW
I see what you say, Griff, but changing policy re the Saturday /Sunday was largely driven by whether Reading were in the Prem, was it not?

Well if we move to Lionel Road AlecW will save money by not going to games in Brentford instead of not going to matches in Reading (Sm14)

See you Saturday, BTW? (Sm128)

Faugh-a-Ballagh!

Vestigia Nulla Retrorsum

Posted by: Clontarf (IP Logged)
Date: 06 October, 2017 14:35

I haven't read all this and I've never even been to Hazelwood, mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa, but nothing is ever a non-starter in planning terms.

You could say housing on The Avenue was a non-starter and the Council and residents believed it was but lo and behold there are houses there today.

If access is available at Hazelwood and a softly softly incremental approach is adopted there could be a stadium there one day.

Date: 06 October, 2017 15:05

Nope, Foggy - harvesting apples, pears and sloes in East Anglia! Will watch online, if I can find a stream...

Date: 06 October, 2017 15:09

I agree, Clontarf, but 'one day' might be one day after LI go bankrupt - too big a risk...?

I fear that what we need is the money and the time to make 'our' stadium happen and unfortunately at this moment, LI has neither - hence Mick Crossan casting around for co-investors...

(Sm128)

Date: 06 October, 2017 15:13

HeavyCream - sorry, I missed your post until just now.

It was certainly not my intention to be 'rude and patronising', so if you read it that way, then I apologise. I guess tone of voice does not come over in a website post!

(Sm128)

Date: 06 October, 2017 15:29

Quote:
AlecW
Nope, Foggy - harvesting apples, pears and sloes in East Anglia! Will watch online, if I can find a stream...

Irish to move to Carrow Road. After all Naaaarfaaalk is a big old desert for top-flight Rugby. You heard it here first (Sm14)

Faugh-a-Ballagh!

Vestigia Nulla Retrorsum

Posted by: b.q.f.m (IP Logged)
Date: 06 October, 2017 17:01

Quote:
Foggy-Balla
Quote:
AlecW

Irish to move to Carrow Road. After all Naaaarfaaalk is a big old desert for top-flight Rugby. You heard it here first (Sm14)

Now you are talking! That would be a dream come true all ready for when I retire from work and return to my hometown. Not going down that bloody Carrow Road though, plenty of other lovely places in and around Norwich that would make great rugby grounds. By the way Foggy, I will be looking for a property with a BIG cellar. smiling smiley

Posted by: Florida (IP Logged)
Date: 06 October, 2017 18:06

I'm stunned at how many location analysts / planners there are, all supporting the same club. Remarkable. Do you all do it for a living or are some of you just really keen amateurs?

I'd be really keen to know what data sources you're all using and what you're using to merge, blend and query to get your insights. The guys working here use alteryx and speak very highly of it.

Sorry, long and boring tube journey. My point is, non of us are experts in this field. Although if some of you are I'd love to hear more as its a fascinating subject

Posted by: cjm. (IP Logged)
Date: 06 October, 2017 18:24

Quote:
Florida
I'm stunned at how many location analysts / planners there are, all supporting the same club. Remarkable. Do you all do it for a living or are some of you just really keen amateurs?
I'd be really keen to know what data sources you're all using and what you're using to merge, blend and query to get your insights. The guys working here use alteryx and speak very highly of it.

Sorry, long and boring tube journey. My point is, non of us are experts in this field. Although if some of you are I'd love to hear more as its a fascinating subject

Bit harsh, people can have opinions. My thoughts are those that find it easier to get to Brentford will want the move, those who find it easier to get to Madjeski won't.

Overall, being a winning club trumps all that ( although with "Brentford", only just ).

Current Page: 3 of 5
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net