Service from 9
Posted by: AlecW (IP Logged)
Date: 21 October, 2017 12:06

Compare the service from ?Price? at scrummy for Glasgow and McGrath for Leinster, with that from any of the LI scrummies, particularly Steele...

... or rather there isnít any comparison. Plant the foot, flick of the wrists ... and itís gone. 9/10 times itís fast and flat - and usually 2-3 feet IN FRONT of the first receiver. Not three feet above his head, down by his ankles, or two feet behind him...

Gah...!!!

Re: Service from 9
Posted by: Cornish boy (IP Logged)
Date: 21 October, 2017 13:40

Dodge used to be the master of reading the game to ensure fast arrival at the breakdown and then pick up and deliver good playable ball, all in one swift movement.

That was right up until he went to the England training camp, at which point he came back putting in a step away from the breakdown before passing and in my opinion he was a worse player for it.
Mind you, I still think that in his day he was the best all round 9 in England.

Watching the 9's Dodge works with, I see a lot of that step back to remove the ball away from long arms and to try and ensure a clean pass; the downside is that it doesnt allow a swift delivery and often causes confusion between the 9 and the supporting players running onto the pass.

Its been a long time since I played so treat this with a pinch of salt but I would want a better bodyguard at the breakdown to allow better, swifter delivery so in my mind the problem is defending the 9 better rather than the actual passing ability.

If you look at LI on front-foot ball, the 9 is there early and gets good quality fast ball away without taking the step and the fast runners mostly get a clean delivery.

Back-foot ball and messy breakdowns is where the step back before passing causes a dirty delivery to confused runners. That is why I think the problem is a lack of strong guarding around the breakdown which means the 9 lacks confidence that he can get clean ball away from the base of the breakdown.

Hope this makes sense!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 21/10/2017 13:43 by Cornish boy.

Re: Service from 9
Posted by: Finno (IP Logged)
Date: 21 October, 2017 14:31

Quote:
AlecW
Compare the service from ?Price? at scrummy for Glasgow and McGrath for Leinster, with that from any of the LI scrummies, particularly Steele...
... or rather there isnít any comparison. Plant the foot, flick of the wrists ... and itís gone. 9/10 times itís fast and flat - and usually 2-3 feet IN FRONT of the first receiver. Not three feet above his head, down by his ankles, or two feet behind him...

Gah...!!!

Agreed, and that's what I saw Meehan doing in the preseason game, and thought 'great, this guy has has some zip about him'!

However, that enthusiasm seems to have disappeared or taken a 'back seat'.

Perhaps it's being coached out of him! (Sm23)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net