Current Page: 1 of 2
Jersey and Penzance look good
Posted by: BallygallyBoy (IP Logged)
Date: 10 February, 2018 21:57

Today was pathetic - at least we have some nice places to go to next season and our wonderful Club will never be in the top flight again because of the wealthy @#$%& who have control of the Aviva Premiershipl

Re: Jersey and Penzance look good
Posted by: waltham (IP Logged)
Date: 11 February, 2018 10:37

Sadly you may be right. If we do go down again, I imagine we'll lose many (most?) of our current 1st Squad AND potentially the best of our academy players. This would leave LI in a serious situation where we would have to try and tempt players from other Championship clubs and of course, the top players will already have secure contracts. If that happened then we'd be scratching around for a competitive squad for 2018/19. Potentially we could therefore end up below the top two or three and miles away from promotion (if that's even still available). This would surely make remaining at the Madstad financially untenable and maybe even also kill a move to Brentford. What then? Am I being overly pessimistic? I hope so.

Posted by: Narbia (IP Logged)
Date: 11 February, 2018 11:08

Quote:
waltham
...... What then? Am I being overly pessimistic? I hope so.

I think you're being realistic.

We can't compete in the Premiership with a squad that is better on paper than our 2015/16 campaign.

Another year in the Championship, with a scratch squad to follow? No point in even looking for promotion.

Did you see the number at yesterday's game? 3,000 ? Can't pay Madstad fees on that.

Did you see the body language of the players at the end of yesterday's game? I suspect they couldn't hide the fact that they know they game is now up.

I genuinely feel for the guys that have given 100% in most of the games this season.

No doubt this opinion be pilloried by the TRUE-BELIEVERS in a moment.

Posted by: jimbo800 (IP Logged)
Date: 11 February, 2018 11:31

I think we can survive a year in the championship again, but it will take some very good man management and a slice of good fortune.
1. Trim the squad and lose the big earners, Id look to get about 1.5 million off the wage bill. Were already losing franks and Lewington, Id release Marshall and Nalaga if it was possible. Both a waste in that league. There are others who would probably be able to find new clubs, Reid and the prop that has yet to feature. Thats probably about 200k. Definitely lose McLean and Hearn, the two most pedestrian centres to wear the shirt.
2. Ensure contracts are signed before we go down so we secure our core of youth. This is where Nic will earn his cash, he managed these guys basically the entire way to this level, he needs to convince them to stay. Those guys will flourish in the championship I think. Theyve already played in that league (most of them) and the others have enough experience of Euro and LV rugby to be comfortable at that level.
3. Identify what the best 22 are and utilise what they have. We have very good backs coming through, we just need a backs coach to make it happen. Weve seen enough evidence to see that Hodgson is just incapable of doing a job for us.
4. Some of the older guys like Van De Merwe would be great to steer us through another year of relegation, just like robson was.
5. Its not as long a slog in the championship now with the automatic promotion, this would ideally make recruitment easier if we were to comeback up again.

Wed need to buck the trend of poorly managing most of the situations we find ourselves in but it can have a positive outcome.

Posted by: Exile_Dave (IP Logged)
Date: 11 February, 2018 12:43

Good points Jimbo.

I'd rather be a Paddy then a Quin!!

C'mon the boys in Green!!

Posted by: Horticbm (IP Logged)
Date: 11 February, 2018 14:06

We need a DOR who has experience managing a team with smaller bank account than than most in the Premiership, I am embarrased seeing how poor we are, to lose busting a gut is appreciated and always so, cant give then I applaud...but to lose playing clueless, no idea rugby , pathetic press releases that are far removed from the game, well, we deserve to be outside the premiership, we are the whipping boys in the footsteps on London Welsh.

Nick and co.....can we get in the real world please..we are crap!!!1

Posted by: AGS (IP Logged)
Date: 11 February, 2018 17:04

Bristol fan in peace here. You're going to be up against a very strong and well drilled Ealing team too, though I suspect they'll be losing a few of their best players at the end of the season to prem clubs.

I guess a fair few of your best players that stayed with you for one drop into the championship may be less willing to do it a second time. Best of luck for the rest of the season anyway

Posted by: Xprop (IP Logged)
Date: 11 February, 2018 22:24

There's a lot of talk of releasing expensive players, but they are under contract and you can't give them a week's notice. It would take a sizeable wad of cash to compensate them.

Posted by: Robbers Dog (IP Logged)
Date: 12 February, 2018 09:17

I can't see any way we can stay up after the performance against Sale. Nobody has mentioned the additional factor of loss of supporters. We get an awful turn out now, I'm in the West Stand and looking at the East Stand on Saturday was, quite frankly, depressing, there was hardly anyone there!
After following Irish through thick & thin since they moved to The MadStad, when they get relegated, if they also move to Brentford, I'm afraid that will be too much for me. The rugby is dire and boring to watch, so I can't think of any reason to trek down the M4 to Brentford to watch them.
Despite the folk with rainbow glasses on here who think that returning to London is the answer to all ills, Irish won't have an increase in supporters, not enough to make them viable anyway. Loss of players + loss of matchday income = Disaster.....
I really hope I'm wrong, btw..

Posted by: Shawshank (IP Logged)
Date: 12 February, 2018 09:24

Yep, it was easily the lowest and most depressing ever premiership crowd at the Madstad.

But why oh why did the club schedule the match on Saturday when it was up against both the Ireland and England games?

Playing on Sunday was a no-brainer.

Posted by: Old-nick (IP Logged)
Date: 12 February, 2018 09:42

I know several STH who did not attend on Saturday because they had made other arrangements as the game was originally scheduled for Sunday. They, like me, put all the fixtures in a calendar when they are announced and do not always see the change of day as was mentioned on this board last week. How many other regulars were caught out by the day change?

Posted by: norg2072 (IP Logged)
Date: 14 February, 2018 14:20

Yes we were surprised to see it had moved to Saturday as well, and had England tickets so had to make a decision - as a numpty i sold them to stand behind LI!!

Our attendance, of 4457, which would have been impacted by the internationals is the lowest in the AVP so far this season - closely followed by Sale with the next lowest of 4510.

Posted by: Shawshank (IP Logged)
Date: 14 February, 2018 14:41

norg2072 - that was official one.

But it seemed more like 2,500, at most, actual bums on seats.

Posted by: GHA (IP Logged)
Date: 14 February, 2018 14:42

Any idea which fixture the 4510 at Sale was for? Wasn't a Friday night game was it?

Date: 15 February, 2018 23:58

As it happens it was, against Newcastle.

Posted by: orsoncart (IP Logged)
Date: 16 February, 2018 07:12

Quote:
Shawshank

But why oh why did the club schedule the match on Saturday when it was up against both the Ireland and England games?

Playing on Sunday was a no-brainer.

Completely agree, had two tix for Twickenham, and missed the LI game.

Not just because of this, but overall, it just seems to me that something is dead wrong

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 16/02/2018 07:13 by orsoncart.

Posted by: Saz's old man (IP Logged)
Date: 16 February, 2018 08:03

Redingensians will definitely be going to Redruth again and hoping Guernsey get promoted more fun on the road, and a lot cheaper...

Date: 17 February, 2018 17:40

Which Jersey hotels would people recommed, the one we stayed in last year was quite a long walk back in to town?

Posted by: waltham (IP Logged)
Date: 17 February, 2018 17:48

Another "optimistic" query....If we go down and the much muted RFU "buddy system" is actually set up, then who do you think we'd become a Championship Feeder click b for ??...... Quin's most likely! (Unless they chose Ealing over us!)...

Posted by: orsoncart (IP Logged)
Date: 17 February, 2018 22:49

Would anyone seriously argue that on the strength of the last five years, we are, realistically, a Championship side with Championship levels of support and revenue?

Current Page: 1 of 2
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net