Current Page: 1 of 2
Submissions wanted
Posted by: Griff (IP Logged)
Date: 17 May, 2018 15:17

It's that time of year again folks - the long, lazy summer. In order to keep this site around we need to publish a story every 2 weeks. Due to the sterling efforts of Finno we published one yesterday so we've all got some time to think but we'll need between 7 and 9 stories between now and the start of the new season.

Admin will probably give me two or three (Player of the Season, new fixtures announced etc.) but the rest are entirely free.

If you're thinking of posting something thought-provoking or just have something you think people might like then it's fairly easy to get it published as a story. You just email the copy to me (editors@londonirish.org) and, so long as I agree (the bar is unbelievably low), I bang it up when there's a gap in the schedule.

Of course we're not limited to one every two weeks. If I get enough we could have several per day! So get your thinking caps on and come up with a story for the site.

Feel free to email (or PM if you must - emails are easier) if you want to discuss an idea.

Re: Submissions wanted
Posted by: Finno (IP Logged)
Date: 18 May, 2018 00:15

Quote:
Griff
It's that time of year again folks - the long, lazy summer. In order to keep this site around we need to publish a story every 2 weeks. Due to the sterling efforts of Finno we published one yesterday so we've all got some time to think but we'll need between 7 and 9 stories between now and the start of the new season.
Admin will probably give me two or three (Player of the Season, new fixtures announced etc.) but the rest are entirely free.

If you're thinking of posting something thought-provoking or just have something you think people might like then it's fairly easy to get it published as a story. You just email the copy to me (editors@londonirish.org) and, so long as I agree (the bar is unbelievably low), I bang it up when there's a gap in the schedule.

Of course we're not limited to one every two weeks. If I get enough we could have several per day! So get your thinking caps on and come up with a story for the site.

Feel free to email (or PM if you must - emails are easier) if you want to discuss an idea.

Time for more Meet the Family, perhaps???

Posted by: BerkshireBasedFan (IP Logged)
Date: 18 May, 2018 08:21

Has anyone ever done a statistical analysis of the 2015/16 relegation season, vs the 2017/2018 relegation season?

If not put my name down and i'll do an article on that.

Posted by: Props are not stupid (IP Logged)
Date: 18 May, 2018 09:04

I just had a look at Meet The Family and about 3/4 of the staff aren't regulars to the games anymore.

Date: 31 May, 2018 10:11

So, this is going fairly well so far... NOT.

Apart from the fabulous article Shawshank sent (which is now up) I've had the sum-total of zero submissions.

It will be a long, long summer if you just have my witterings to keep the site up and I'm not sure I'll manage one every two weeks so we'll most likely go offline.

Anyone?

Posted by: GHA (IP Logged)
Date: 31 May, 2018 11:04

Out of interest, why would the site go offline?

Date: 31 May, 2018 11:11

Because that's what happens.

Date: 31 May, 2018 11:16

Even if the message board thrives?

Sorry if I've touched a nerve

Date: 31 May, 2018 11:26

Not a nerve just that I've explained this a few hundred times, given then length of time you've been here (and your keenness to attack any mistake on my part) I'd have thought you might have noticed by now.

It's SportNetwork policy that every site needs to publish a story every two weeks. It's not a policy I necessarily agree with but they do it in order that they know that an editor is watching their MB(s) for illegal content (you know, the stuff you complain at me for).

Hope that helps.

Date: 31 May, 2018 11:58

Let's all move to Reddit

Posted by: LI Bohemian (IP Logged)
Date: 31 May, 2018 13:54

Quote:
GHA
Let's all move to Reddit

You go first then

Date: 31 May, 2018 14:51

Good one LiBo

It was a semi-serious suggestion, I'm pretty sure all the Craic features (Meet the Family etc) can be set up on Reddit, no ads and no requirement for a story every two weeks.

What's the requirement for a story, Griff? Is a one-liner that says 'Ojo has signed a one-year extension' enough?

Date: 31 May, 2018 15:28

Quote:
GHA
What's the requirement for a story, Griff? Is a one-liner that says 'Ojo has signed a one-year extension' enough?

Not really, there are no hard-and-fast rules (at least that are published) but sites that have published such stories have gone offline. A couple of paragraphs is fine (check out the Gloucester site's stories - no offence to Shedloads he keeps that going pretty-much on his own).

Is it really that difficult to come up with story ideas? For instance as someone who constantly comments on players' performances and the club's poor recruitment why not give us your honest assessment of the new guys? Or our chances next season, or the following season. Analyze the reasons for our current predicament, suggest people you think the club should be looking at...

And, yes, I could do any or all of the above but that would be one bloke putting in all the effort (on top of the other day-to-day stuff). If we spread it around a load of us then it's not a lot of work for anyone.

Date: 31 May, 2018 15:35

Two people have suggested Meet The Family updates, and BerkshireBasedFan said

Quote:
Has anyone ever done a statistical analysis of the 2015/16 relegation season, vs the 2017/2018 relegation season?

Shawshank took the best one sad smiley

I'll have a think though

Posted by: SirBurger (IP Logged)
Date: 31 May, 2018 18:44

Griff - the next few weeks are a bit tricky for me but Im happy to do some features on the new players in a fortnight or so.

Posted by: PV (IP Logged)
Date: 31 May, 2018 18:57

Whilst I do find GHAs responses hilarious, Id be happy to write one Griff. Dont rise to the bait!

Posted by: Florida (IP Logged)
Date: 31 May, 2018 19:06

I'll whack something together over the course of the week.

Posted by: LI Bohemian (IP Logged)
Date: 01 June, 2018 07:45

Quote:
GHA
Quote:

I'll have a think though

Well at least you've committed yourself to a bit of ponderment, I don't think we'll be hearing from you on the contribution front

Date: 01 June, 2018 09:03

Quote:
LI Bohemian
Quote:
GHA
Quote:

I'll have a think though

Well at least you've committed yourself to a bit of ponderment, I don't think we'll be hearing from you on the contribution front

Probably not if all I get is harassment from you

Cheers PV, happy to be if assistance. I'm sure Griff will thank me too for getting this thread going and therefore bringing in a few more submissions...

Posted by: PV (IP Logged)
Date: 01 June, 2018 10:35

Griff

Sorry to put any onus on you, but how do we want to manage this. Im happy to write about any subject relating to the club or rugby generally, so let me, the rest know how to do it and well craic on.

Current Page: 1 of 2
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net