Current Page: 1 of 2
Kennedy wants Saracens to hammer Irish
Posted by: HMRH (IP Logged)
Date: 01 December, 2018 15:17

Interview in Telegraph yesterday - feels hard done by and bitter how things happened and hopes if Sarries play us next year they thrash us

Thanks Nick love you too.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/12/2018 16:43 by HMRH.

Re: Kennedy wants Saracens to thrash Irish
Posted by: cjm. (IP Logged)
Date: 01 December, 2018 15:30

Perhaps he should have been a better DoR. We may have gone down regardless but no-one seemed to have a clue in the coaching team.

Posted by: Shawshank (IP Logged)
Date: 01 December, 2018 16:03

He actually used the word ‘hammered’ and it’s surely OK for him to want his new club to beat anyone like that.

The rest of the article indicated that he still has good friendships at the club.

He also admits he made mistakes.

No need for anyone to slag off a great LI servant IMHO.

Posted by: RodB (IP Logged)
Date: 01 December, 2018 16:13

He's left. It's obligatory isn't it?

Posted by: JamesC (IP Logged)
Date: 01 December, 2018 16:17

Wot Shawshank said

Posted by: Narbia (IP Logged)
Date: 01 December, 2018 16:20

It's paywalled, so I can't read it!!(Sm19)

I'm not a robot : reCAPTCHA

Posted by: Shawshank (IP Logged)
Date: 01 December, 2018 16:23

Narbia - you can register on their site and get a ‘free’ article per month.

Not very generous, but useful on accessions like this thumbs down

Posted by: HMRH (IP Logged)
Date: 01 December, 2018 16:42

Sorry hammered

I didn’t slag him off but actually I didn’t like the tone albeit it’s a journalist writing it. Didn’t work out and Irish hire someone else

Re: Kennedy wants Saracens to hammer Irish
Posted by: GHA (IP Logged)
Date: 01 December, 2018 20:28

He feels hard done by?

There's wanting to put one over on your old team, and then there's wanting to hammer them

How I miss him as a player

Date: 01 December, 2018 21:25

Quote:
Shawshank
He actually used the word ‘hammered’ and it’s surely OK for him to want his new club to beat anyone like that.
The rest of the article indicated that he still has good friendships at the club.

As a player he was great, especially in partnership with Bob Casey.

As a DoR/coach the results speak for themselves.

Posted by: plzd (IP Logged)
Date: 02 December, 2018 11:33

Not bitter then??

Posted by: ExiledChameleon (IP Logged)
Date: 03 December, 2018 02:42

Quote:
HMRH
Interview in Telegraph yesterday - feels hard done by and bitter how things happened and hopes if Sarries play us next year they thrash us
Thanks Nick love you too.

TO be fair, the way he was shoved out was disgraceful, if a former employer did the same to me I'd be out for vengeance as well.

Posted by: Bazzo (IP Logged)
Date: 03 December, 2018 09:05

Quote:
cjm.
Quote:
Shawshank

I would say that his record reads, winner of Premiership U18 league when in charge of the Academy and then winner of the Championship at his first attempt and the last to go through the play off system (it took Bristol six attempts to get out of the championship through this system when relegated despite finishing top) and then he was disposed of by the board in an attempt to keep us in the Premiership by the current DOR and Head Coach, but we were not relegated when the change was made. I seem to remember that bar the Quins game our heaviest defeats were in those last few games.

His ability to recruit with what I assume was a smaller budget was good (McNally?) and I can see his value in that role. I also thought that a club who would have learned from losing a former academy coach (Booth) would be careful not to risk losing some of its better players and would have a better chance of retaining them if the person who developed them was treated well and kept at the club (big Joe?). I think they were stupid to get rid of him.

I can also understand why he has the hump. I would.

Posted by: AlecW (IP Logged)
Date: 03 December, 2018 10:11

Bazzo - they DIDN'T get rid of him, he left of his own accord. However, neither side commented on whether he had a 'non-job' after DK & LK arrived and I suppose the lovey-dovey stuff could have been part of a compromise agreement...

Don't want to quote too much of any one press article from 22/3/18 for copyright reasons, but these are the relevant pieces for the purposes of this thread (from the Telegraph, Independent and BBC):

"London Irish have announced that ... Nick Kennedy has opted to resign and will leave the club with immediate effect.

Kennedy had been given the opportunity to remain in his position to work alongside new technical consultant Declan Kidney and head coach Les Kiss.

However, after taking time to consider his options, the 35 year-old has requested to leave the club. A club statement explained that the London Irish management had “reluctantly accepted his resignation”.

Nick will always be a major figure in the London Irish history books," said Mick Crossan, London Irish's president and majority shareholder.

"He was an excellent player and we believed that he had a promising career in front of him as a coach, which we had hoped that he would fulfil under the guidance of Declan Kidney and Les Kiss. So, we're disappointed that he has decided to move on.

"However, we have accepted his decision and wish him all the best for the future."

Kennedy said the club - who at one point lost 14 games in a row this season - would "always have a special place in my heart".

"This was not a decision that I made lightly as there are a great bunch of coaches and players at Hazelwood," he added.

Posted by: Bazzo (IP Logged)
Date: 03 December, 2018 12:05

No one really knows I suppose, but I think reading that and what happened at the time, it was a club decision to bring K&K in, probably in a last gasp attempt to stay up (sadly did not work), but not informing Kennedy is how I read it, and he departed. To me that is getting rid of him. If he was happy with the arrangement and part of the decision to bring them in then he would have stayed, it appears to me that he was not part of that process so chose to leave. I think that I would have done the same. He obviously has a bad grudge to say what he did, I can just relate to it if this is what happened.

He was "given the opportunity to work alongside new technical consultant Declan Kidney" is hardly a ringing endorsement and suggests that he was not a part of the decision to change. Kennedy was DOR was he not? and how long after this was Kidney changed from "technical consultant" to DOR?

Kennedy was treated poorly in my eyes. But that is just one persons opinion.

Posted by: Florida (IP Logged)
Date: 03 December, 2018 12:52

We'll never know what happened behind closed doors.

As I understand it the club identified Kennedy needed assistance, they turned to Venter to increase his role by making it full time based here, when he declined they looked for someone to fill that position. I do wonder whether Kennedy would have stayed if a. Venter was fulltime and based here and b. Kidney had joined without Kiss.

Date: 03 December, 2018 13:26

Quote:
Bazzo
Quote:
cjm.
Quote:
Shawshank

I would say that his record reads, winner of Premiership U18 league when in charge of the Academy and then winner of the Championship at his first attempt and the last to go through the play off system (it took Bristol six attempts to get out of the championship through this system when relegated despite finishing top) and then he was disposed of by the board in an attempt to keep us in the Premiership by the current DOR and Head Coach, but we were not relegated when the change was made. I seem to remember that bar the Quins game our heaviest defeats were in those last few games.

His ability to recruit with what I assume was a smaller budget was good (McNally?) and I can see his value in that role. I also thought that a club who would have learned from losing a former academy coach (Booth) would be careful not to risk losing some of its better players and would have a better chance of retaining them if the person who developed them was treated well and kept at the club (big Joe?). I think they were stupid to get rid of him.

I can also understand why he has the hump. I would.

Not sure all this adds up to much. There was little sign of LI ever staying up and precious few good performances.

Posted by: jimbo800 (IP Logged)
Date: 03 December, 2018 13:46

For me, the biggest problem Irish have had in the past five years is timing. We saw the recruitment drive with TC at the helm, right players wrong coach. After that we saw right Director (Nic), wrong coaches and wrong recruitment in our most important position, fly half. Now we have a mix of coaches with the fly half we’ve needed for so long, but in the wrong league after losing our younger talent. A few of these decisions going the right way at different times and we’d be in the prem still. Myler last season and I think we’d have survived.

I didn’t think Kennedy was the problem, he needed better coaches around him, simple as that. Our attack was void of ideas and our defence under Declan was 5hite. We deserve to be where we are but it’s a shame it played out the way it did.

Posted by: Steelman (IP Logged)
Date: 03 December, 2018 15:16

Quote:
jimbo800
For me, the biggest problem Irish have had in the past five years is timing. We saw the recruitment drive with TC at the helm, right players wrong coach. After that we saw right Director (Nic), wrong coaches and wrong recruitment in our most important position, fly half. Now we have a mix of coaches with the fly half we’ve needed for so long, but in the wrong league after losing our younger talent. A few of these decisions going the right way at different times and we’d be in the prem still. Myler last season and I think we’d have survived.
I didn’t think Kennedy was the problem, he needed better coaches around him, simple as that. Our attack was void of ideas and our defence under Declan was 5hite. We deserve to be where we are but it’s a shame it played out the way it did.

A very succinct way of saying how we su..sunk
I go along with all of that.

Posted by: PV (IP Logged)
Date: 03 December, 2018 15:25

AlecW is right - from what I know, Nick still had a role (albeit a demotion), but he didn't feel that he could fulfil it. Apparently, he asked who would be selecting the team now and didn't get the positive affirmation that he was looking for, so basically felt his position had been taken by K&K - which it clearly had.

I think it was more a case of Crossan not wanting to sack a legend of the club and then it became a pretty messy affair where Nick was caught in the middle and felt he had to leave.

With hindsight - it was too early to appoint him as DoR after Coventry and we all inevitably paid the price - lack of succession planning - something we could perhaps learn from..........................................................................................Bath.

I'll get my coat. (Sm118)

Current Page: 1 of 2
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net