Current Page: 1 of 3
BBC Berks. Announcement re teams future?
Posted by: strontium190 (IP Logged)
Date: 03 December, 2018 16:29

Evening all. Listening to BBC Berks today and the sports presenter said to expect a big announcement on the teams future this week. Anyone any idea what he may have meant?

Re: BBC Berks. Announcement re teams future?
Posted by: SirBurger (IP Logged)
Date: 03 December, 2018 16:47

Brentford?

Posted by: Margin_Walker (IP Logged)
Date: 03 December, 2018 16:48

Wimbledon?

Date: 03 December, 2018 16:53

Almost certainly not it, but there's a Times article just published saying that ringfencing immediately at 13 clubs is being discussed

Presumably because a few bigger names are in danger this season. Tends to focus the minds.

[www.thetimes.co.uk]

Posted by: SirBurger (IP Logged)
Date: 03 December, 2018 17:04

Quote:
Margin_Walker
Wimbledon?

Is that genuinely still on the cards? I always thought it was purely speculation.

Date: 03 December, 2018 17:09

Quote:
SirBurger
Quote:
Margin_Walker
Wimbledon?

Is that genuinely still on the cards? I always thought it was purely speculation.

I have no idea. After the Brentford talk died down a couple of years ago Venter mentioned it in a chat with a friend after a game. Just a vague 'what do you think of Wimbledon?'

Two years is a long time though. The silence on Brentford since the initial activity has been deafening though.

Posted by: HMRH (IP Logged)
Date: 03 December, 2018 17:51

Economics will drive ringfencing - rugbybisnt a big enough sport to support much more than the Prem. Times article points out Jersey losing £300k a year and council paid out £150k to finish this season.

Ealing bankrolled but have nowhere to play and no fan base. We struggle along at best

Posted by: Florida (IP Logged)
Date: 03 December, 2018 18:15

Can't see it being ring fencing, we've not been promoted yet, nor are we guaranteed promotion. I would assume its the new CVC deal and the "increased stability" we'll get from "increased investment"

Posted by: norg2072 (IP Logged)
Date: 04 December, 2018 00:01

Maybe Powerday are no longer the main sponsor and a new investor has been found, which would explain why all of the Powerday signs at the Madejski are turned back to front!

Maybe the Brentford contract has been signed, which would align with West London rumours. The CVC money would cover any penalty clause to get out of the current contract.

Maybe we have signed several new players and they are to be announced.

Posted by: paulm1953 (IP Logged)
Date: 04 December, 2018 07:35

Maybe London Irish have renegotiated the contract with the Madstad. Seems the deal with Brentford is just the same deal with no ownership. Would be good it this issue could be resolved once and for all.

Come on you Irish

Paul

Posted by: AlecW (IP Logged)
Date: 04 December, 2018 08:25

I think it is more likely to be related to the stories in multiple papers this morning about a THIRTEEN team ringfenced Premiership.

Date: 04 December, 2018 08:27

I don't think it will be CVC or ringfencing related. Reckon it will more likely be club specific location, investment or both.

Guess we'll soon find out

Posted by: Jamiepep1 (IP Logged)
Date: 04 December, 2018 08:28

I imagine it will be a ringfencing of the prem. The likes of craig will never let poor precious Bath play in the championship, and as it currently stands anyone of of about 6 teams could go down.

13 teams seems stupid to me. Make it 14 and include another strong northern team like doncaster or yorkshire. They have the base and grounds and will help grow the sport in that region which is dominated by football/league.

Date: 04 December, 2018 08:47

Wonít be RF this season - too late and itís not agreed yet whereas LI announcing something already agreed

Either ground or investment I imagine or combination

Posted by: RuckingBrilliant (IP Logged)
Date: 04 December, 2018 09:53

I hear that it is a new heavy investor for the club.... no details as yet but it sounds positive for a serious crack at the Prem..

Posted by: norg2072 (IP Logged)
Date: 04 December, 2018 10:00

I agree HMRH, if it's being announced this week then it can't be CVC or RF as those details have yet to be determined / agreed.

Hazelwood chatter suggests Brentford announcement, but new signings as well.

But as nobody can explain why the Powerday signs are mounted back2front inside the stadium i wonder if it could also be investment as you suggest.

Posted by: Steelman (IP Logged)
Date: 04 December, 2018 11:26

Well whatever it is it can't be too mind blowing or the info would have leaked by now.
It's probably about Santas appearance at the next game in stead of Digger. Ho.

Posted by: Old-nick (IP Logged)
Date: 04 December, 2018 16:20

"Googling" Powerday I found on their website that Powerday are also "Proud sponsors of Hayes and Yeading United FC". Hayes and Yeading have a nice ground at The SkyEx Community Stadium, Beaconsfield Road, Hayes UB4 0SL. The stadium has recently been upgraded - see [hyufc.com] and it looks to me that there would be space for further development of the ground.

Pure speculation on my part but could Irish be joining forces with Hayes and Yeading to create a West London venue for Irish? It would make sense to me!!

Date: 04 December, 2018 16:45

Own a ground - nirvana

Posted by: bigbitty (IP Logged)
Date: 04 December, 2018 16:56

Quote:
Old-nick
"Googling" Powerday I found on their website that Powerday are also "Proud sponsors of Hayes and Yeading United FC". Hayes and Yeading have a nice ground at The SkyEx Community Stadium, Beaconsfield Road, Hayes UB4 0SL. The stadium has recently been upgraded - see [hyufc.com] and it looks to me that there would be space for further development of the ground.
Pure speculation on my part but could Irish be joining forces with Hayes and Yeading to create a West London venue for Irish? It would make sense to me!!

It's difficult to find any mention on the website of how many that single stand could hold, but there is an oblique reference to 1200 - surely that is nowhere big enough for premiership rules?

Current Page: 1 of 3
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net