Surprise surprise !!

Re: Salary cap and Saracens
Posted by: GHA (IP Logged)
Date: 04 March, 2019 09:00

Who'da guessed

Posted by: Florida (IP Logged)
Date: 04 March, 2019 09:52

Not sure that in itself is a breach of salary cap. Don't see any reason why players can't be in business with members of the club. The issue for me would be if the players were putting less money into or taking more money out of the business.

Think I need more details before reaching for my pitchfork

Date: 04 March, 2019 10:19

Might not need to reach for your pitchfork yet but it all smells a bit fishy, doesn't it?

Posted by: tomthepom (IP Logged)
Date: 04 March, 2019 10:25

Quote:
GHA
Might not need to reach for your pitchfork yet but it all smells a bit fishy, doesn't it?

that's the Daily Mail for you...

Posted by: plzd (IP Logged)
Date: 04 March, 2019 11:20

Quote:
tomthepom
Quote:
GHA

I am not a DM reader myself (Times) . The DM actually does some excellent investigative journalism. It does not suit everyone's narrative or left wing political correct views so they just criticise and say it is not true when it often is.

Posted by: LI Bohemian (IP Logged)
Date: 04 March, 2019 11:27

This explains why I noticed, Owen Farrel selling Tupperware on a market stall ar Camden market.

Date: 04 March, 2019 11:34

As I read elsewhere it's taken them four months to find out information that's available for free on the Companies House website, so it's not exactly excellent investigative journalism. It has raised the question though.

Date: 04 March, 2019 11:59

Quote:
plzd
Quote:
tomthepom
Quote:
GHA

I am not a DM reader myself (Times) . The DM actually does some excellent investigative journalism. It does not suit everyone's narrative or left wing political correct views so they just criticise and say it is not true when it often is.

Quintessentially a valid point

Posted by: PV (IP Logged)
Date: 04 March, 2019 12:21

It's a vile rag.

Most of the players have a business on the side, don't blame them, we should encourage it as it's a short career and if they don't plan for the future, there will be inevitable wage inflation and we'll all go bust.

Date: 04 March, 2019 12:31

I think lots of players have business on the side, but I think (and I might be wrong) not many have businesses in which the club owner has an equal share...

Posted by: HMRH (IP Logged)
Date: 04 March, 2019 12:39

Donít like the DM much either but itís a worthwhile story - and whilst the information is available at companies house no one would necessarily look unless there was a reason to do so.

It may well be that this is all part of the disclosed remuneration and that the shares were paid for my both parties and itís an above board business set up - I havenít commented either way until we see a response. It may be creative and totally legit in which case good on Wray and the lads.

I have no issue with Sarries and their players but I have an issue with the cap being broken if indeed that has been the case

Posted by: joshhbartholomew (IP Logged)
Date: 04 March, 2019 14:13

Quote:
GHA
As I read elsewhere it's taken them four months to find out information that's available for free on the Companies House website, so it's not exactly excellent investigative journalism. It has raised the question though.

I donít see it reported anywhere else...

Date: 04 March, 2019 14:23

Quote:
joshhbartholomew
Quote:
GHA

I donít see it reported anywhere else...

They haven't had to dig much deeper than everyone else though have they?

Date: 04 March, 2019 21:02

This DM piece is a bit of a nightmare for premiership rugby, as we all know or suspect the numbers just don't add up with Sarries, how can you have a squad like Sarries and keep it all under the salary cap, the powers that be don't want all this news coming around again because Sarries are arguably the most powerful club in England and with the England team they have more leverage than most, it has taken a lot of hard work and investment to get them into this position, so I expect there will be a long "no stones unturned" (I love that one) investigation, guess what? nothing to see, move along folks.
There is obviously a loop hole in the SC that you can drive a truck full of cash through but if it is closed the litigation will ensue or at least the threat of it.

Posted by: x_ile (IP Logged)
Date: 05 March, 2019 12:26

Times article seems to suggest that Saracens' SA backers pulled out, a year or so ago, because they became unhappy with Saracens' noncommittal(?) explanations re SC.

confused smiley

Posted by: HMRH (IP Logged)
Date: 05 March, 2019 12:30

Mr Slot hedging his bets? First article very much a defence of Sarries and the latter a little less sure perhaps?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net