Current Page: 1 of 2
Cooke and Cokanasiga
Posted by: HMRH (IP Logged)
Date: 14 May, 2019 14:34

Jack Cooke signs first team contract and Phil Cokanasiga signs with senior academy

Good

Re: Cooke and Cokanasiga
Posted by: GHA (IP Logged)
Date: 14 May, 2019 14:35

eye popping smiley

Posted by: MattM (IP Logged)
Date: 14 May, 2019 14:43

Delighted with this. I've really liked what I've seen of Cooke, a no-nonsense scrapper. of course keeping Phil is a result too as I think a number of people feared he would follow his brother.

Sponsoring Ollie Hassell-Collins for the 2018/19 season.

Usually found tweeting gibberish (via @MattMerritt)

Posted by: Marbo (IP Logged)
Date: 14 May, 2019 14:51

Best news to come out of Irish since last week (Sm6) but seriously thrilled at this news Cooke seems like a great player by all accounts and would love to see him get more first team appearances under his belt. As for Phil this is great news especially considering the rumours of him going to Bath wondering if this might be linked to the rumours of Joe regretting his move to Bath - which aren't surprising considering the coaching turnover.

Posted by: SirBurger (IP Logged)
Date: 14 May, 2019 14:59

Quote:
Marbo
Best news to come out of Irish since last week (Sm6) but seriously thrilled at this news Cooke seems like a great player by all accounts and would love to see him get more first team appearances under his belt. As for Phil this is great news especially considering the rumours of him going to Bath wondering if this might be linked to the rumours of Joe regretting his move to Bath - which aren't surprising considering the coaching turnover.

What rumours are these?

Posted by: LI Bohemian (IP Logged)
Date: 14 May, 2019 15:30

This is excellent news, had heard a strong rumour that Phil was off and was resigned to losing him, I think Cooke is a tough competitor and can't wait to see them both in the team for us.

Posted by: Ecksile (IP Logged)
Date: 14 May, 2019 15:35

Quote:
SirBurger
Quote:
Marbo

What rumours are these?

The ones just started...........(Sm100)

Posted by: Lincs-Exile (IP Logged)
Date: 14 May, 2019 15:37

Can't beat a good rumour !!

Posted by: GHA (IP Logged)
Date: 14 May, 2019 16:02

Rumour has it everyone's going to pretend it was just a loan after all and he'll be back next season

Posted by: Marbo (IP Logged)
Date: 14 May, 2019 17:14

The rumour came from Bath fans on Twitter so not sure how reliable it is. But body language of Joe doesn't look positive - but then again that's true for lots of Bath players the whole thing is a mess

Posted by: ExiledChameleon (IP Logged)
Date: 14 May, 2019 17:39

Quote:
Marbo
The rumour came from Bath fans on Twitter so not sure how reliable it is. But body language of Joe doesn't look positive - but then again that's true for lots of Bath players the whole thing is a mess

Bath's quickly picking up a reputation of a club where careers go to stall. I genuinely can't think of (m)any players who have got better in that car crash of a club. Aled Brew is perhaps the only one.

Posted by: Lazyboy346 (IP Logged)
Date: 14 May, 2019 18:37

Brilliant news. I was worried Cooke had inexplicably been allowed to leave. He looked a very good prospect in his appearances this season. We haven't had an Irish qualified academy player make it into the first team in a while.

Phil C also looks impressive; heard rumours he is seen as the more talented brother so read we could keep hold of him. Also eases my fears that we only have a scrum half representing the backs in the academy.

Posted by: LI Bohemian (IP Logged)
Date: 14 May, 2019 18:46

I'm not sure Bath is a place where careers stall, if you think of Underhill, Obamo, and if you consider that JJ and AW were long term injury but before this they were B&I lions.
I would put the current quandary at Bath down to an uncertain future as regards the new alternative Coaching set up and the lack of quality 9/10 in the pipe line, this is all down to a couple of spoilt brats in the hospitality section.

Posted by: Florida (IP Logged)
Date: 14 May, 2019 19:29

Awesome news. Especially about Cooke, he's a younger version of Conan, will tackle anything with the ball, no matter how far away it is, he'll get there somehow.

Posted by: ExiledChameleon (IP Logged)
Date: 14 May, 2019 19:33

Quote:
LI Bohemian
I'm not sure Bath is a place where careers stall, if you think of Underhill, Obamo, and if you consider that JJ and AW were long term injury but before this they were B&I lions.
I would put the current quandary at Bath down to an uncertain future as regards the new alternative Coaching set up and the lack of quality 9/10 in the pipe line, this is all down to a couple of spoilt brats in the hospitality section.

Underhill was already in the England squad before he joined Bath. Same with Joe.

JJ was already an England player and his scoring rate has dropped since he joined them, and AW was already more or less nailed on for England.

How many (young) players have joined Bath and then really improved?

Lahiff, nope.

Henry Thomas was recently capped when he joined from Sale, and since then went backwards.

Homer's not been given a look in. Same with Garvey and Mercer.

Charteris joined as a Wales starter, but was then completely axed by midway through the first 6N he was with Bath.

Faletau has just been broken by them.

Roko's barely been featured for England.

Chudley, Cook, Fotuali'i, and Burns have been back-pedalling at a rate of knots.

Obano's a good shout, assuming he recovers from his injury, but the general trend seems to be that you go to Bath a current England international or enjoy domestic rugby for the rest of your life. If I was an 18 year old there's possibly nowhere I'd want to go less. Exeter, Sarries, Sale, us, Quins, even Worcester are noticeably better.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 14/05/2019 19:34 by ExiledChameleon.

Posted by: Margin_Walker (IP Logged)
Date: 14 May, 2019 19:37

Really good news on both fronts and very happy to proved wrong re Joe. Definitely thought he was Bath bound.

Really pleased for Cooke. Always been a bit of an underdog with his lack of bulk, but he's definitely got talent and enjoy watching him play. So accurate in defence.

I wouldn't worry about the lack of backs in the academy Lazyboy, there are plenty of them in the year below. There were six lads in the England U17 training camp last month. four of them backs (two wings, a fullback and a 13)

Posted by: Lincs-Exile (IP Logged)
Date: 14 May, 2019 19:38

The Barf faithful are defo not keen on the new management reading there message board but i think having Hooper as there DOR is definetely good for everyone else.The owners are like a pair of spoilt kids.

Posted by: AlecW (IP Logged)
Date: 14 May, 2019 20:18

I believe from speaking to a number of Bath supporters over the last few months that the main problem is that Bruce Craig interferes too much and tries to choose the team himself. So - maybe a weak / inexperienced coaching set-up might play to Craig’s agenda...?!

Posted by: jimbo800 (IP Logged)
Date: 14 May, 2019 20:29

This could all work into a long term plan to get big joe back. A lot easier if his brother is still with us. It was well documented he didn’t want to leave, if it wasn’t the year before the World Cup I reckon he would have stayed with us

Posted by: Florida (IP Logged)
Date: 14 May, 2019 21:28

Perhaps we could forget about Joe, at least for this thread and simply celebrate the fact that we've got Jack (an excellent player who did very well in the A League this season) and Phil (who has heaps of potential). This is really great news

Current Page: 1 of 2
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net