Current Page: 1 of 7
Care/Brown
Posted by: Cookie (IP Logged)
Date: 10 February, 2017 07:06

Seems there is truth in the Care to France story.

Also surfacing that Browny wants out. Not definite, but it has been discussed internally.

Expect more on both stories over the coming days.

Re: Care/Brown
Posted by: HonkyTonk (IP Logged)
Date: 10 February, 2017 07:47

Should free up some cap space!!!

Posted by: DazzaS (IP Logged)
Date: 10 February, 2017 07:58

Shame if this is true. Brown wears heart on his sleeve and always put maximum effort in.

Care has been a changed player over the last 2 seasons yet has still put performance in for England.

While I don't doubt they both want to do well for quins. They do not seem to be happy when looking at them on the pitch and if they are still not happy then maybe a club change will do them both good. But going to France will surely end both their England careers. Yet I can't see Brown going to another English club.

Date: 10 February, 2017 08:01

Care would go to France. Browny not so sure. That said, they're 30 and 31 respectively, so unlikely either would make it to the WC. Both unlikely to tour with the Lions.

Last chance for a big French payday for both. Could still (just) bag 2/3 year contracts.

And yes, I think something like this could be the opportunity to change our reliance on English players.

Date: 10 February, 2017 08:28

I'll be honest, and I doubt most will agree but I would no be too upset (from a playing point of view) if they both did go. Neither have hit their past heights for a while. The fact that Care is thinking about France would suggest he knows his time with England could be in the balance. I also think Brown will find his place under pressure as I can see Jones looking at maybe giving Watson a chance to play FB. Both have been great players for Quins but part of me thinks a fresh start could be good both all parties. IF true, and with the very real chance we could see Nev, Dickson and maybe a few more leave (Stanley/Hopper I believe are OOC) we could have some big cash to spend. I know people will mention the financial situation but this is money we are already spending. A new captain to replace Care, we could use this as a opportunity to start again (and yes I do mean from the coaching side as well)

Posted by: Dave L (IP Logged)
Date: 10 February, 2017 08:28

I'd be very sad to see them both go at the end of the season. They've both been a huge part of this club for a long time and they'll be missed.

That said I can understand the conundrum they face given a large offer from France and the possibility of a big payday. I wouldn't be surprised to see EJ start to introduce Brownie's long term replacement at Full Back some time soon either.

Date: 10 February, 2017 08:37

Spot on, both. Brown will have a big problem with England when Watson is back. And Robson is surely going to push DC soon. It could be to everyone's benefit if they take the money and release some salary cap money that we could spend on top non-internationals.

Posted by: thomh (IP Logged)
Date: 10 February, 2017 08:45

Even with Robshaw and Marler still around, that would feel like the end of an era.

How big are French pay days these days when you factor in the England money they may also be giving up? Don't England players get something like 20 grand per game plus win bonuses?

Date: 10 February, 2017 08:58

It's not so much that - they could get French money of 2, 3, maybe 4 years. Doubt either will be involved with England past the 2017/18 season.

Posted by: Fursty (IP Logged)
Date: 10 February, 2017 09:07

When do their contracts expire? I thought Brown had another season?

Date: 10 February, 2017 09:18

No idea, although I am sure quins would be happy to get some financial compensation also

Posted by: Stooperman (IP Logged)
Date: 10 February, 2017 09:31

Quote:
thomh
Even with Robshaw and Marler still around, that would feel like the end of an era.
How big are French pay days these days when you factor in the England money they may also be giving up? Don't England players get something like 20 grand per game plus win bonuses?

It is definitely the end of an era when you look at the players we will have lost over 2/3 seasons - Ugo, Williams, Easter, NEV, Robson...possibly Care, Brown, Lowe. Time for JK to build his own team then - if there have not been some significant signings by the end of March we could be in big trouble. After a stellar few years, the academy does seem to be going through a bit of a lull too - we used to see 3 or more break through players each year, this year we've got Marchant, and I can't see much on the horizon for next year.

Posted by: T-Bone (IP Logged)
Date: 10 February, 2017 09:38

Why does everyone think that people aged 30 and 31 won't make it to the next world cup, and why Jones will look to ease Brown out, a man he's made vice captain and who is his clear first choice starter? I'm not saying that won't happen, but people seem to think it's inevitable that Jones will jettison all players over 30 half way through his world cup cycle

they might well leave Quins, they might well move to France, but I don't see why they'd be so certain they'll be dropped by England that France is a complete no brainer.

I'd be sadder to see Brown go than Care. Danny has been a great player for us but he seems to have lost it.

Whilst I've been supporting Quins for over 20 years, I suppose the generation I saw week in, week out was the one with Mike, Ugo, Williams, Lowe, JTH, Robshaw, Robson, Care, Easter, so it really would feel like the end of an era

Date: 10 February, 2017 09:52

I think the cases are different, though. Care is being chased by France whereas Browny is @#$%& off.

Don't think DC would leave if it wasn't to France, but I think Brown would. He was livid when COS left after he'd just signed a new contract and clearly he's not calmed down any.

Posted by: talkshowhost86 (IP Logged)
Date: 10 February, 2017 10:13

Would be the end of an era if both left, but perhaps that's not a bad thing considering the shape the era is currently in.

Problem is that I wouldn't trust the current setup to adequately replace them or use their departures as a chance to change things.

Date: 10 February, 2017 10:22

I may have imagined this, but I am sure I read on these boards (not necessarily CAW) that we were interested in Woodward at Bristol. Now if Brown did go, that would do me lovely.

Posted by: Adi Nako (IP Logged)
Date: 10 February, 2017 10:24

Quote:
Cookie
It's not so much that - they could get French money of 2, 3, maybe 4 years. Doubt either will be involved with England past the 2017/18 season.

It's 22 grand a match plus bonuses.

Posted by: Quinoids (IP Logged)
Date: 10 February, 2017 10:32

where are the rumours coming from? I haven't seen/heard anything.....

Date: 10 February, 2017 10:33

Care - someone connected in the game and close to Quins.

Brown - respected broadsheet journalist who got some corroboration on the DC story last night.

Posted by: akb1 (IP Logged)
Date: 10 February, 2017 10:58

Doesn't Care have at least another year on his contract? he signed a contract extension Dec2015 so you would expect that was at least 2 years starting the beginning of the current season.

Current Page: 1 of 7
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net