Current Page: 1 of 3
Army/Navy Game clash
Posted by: Fearless Fred (IP Logged)
Date: 15 July, 2017 09:38

It looks like this season we're going to have a clash with the Army v Navy game, and we won't be able/allowed to play on a different day. (Sm17)

Looking at the schedule of events for Twickenham Stadium, the Army Navy game is scheduled to be on May the 5th. That's the last day of the regular season, when we're scheduled to play Exeter at home. Usually that would just mean that we'd move our game to Friday or Sunday, but as it's the last day of the regular season, all the games have to kick off at the same time, so we can't move it.

I remember what chaos it was last time we had this fixture clash. We'll have somewhere in the region of 80k squaddies and squids, the majority of whom will already be hammered by lunchtime, plus a likely sell-out crowd at The Stoop. The Rosebine will be out of bounds unless you've pre-booked and even then numbers will be limited. I bet that the Police will be delighted to have almost 100k people to handle. No doubt South West trains will arrange to have some sort of Engineering works interfering with the trains. This is not going to be a pleasant day!

Re: Army/Navy Game clash
Posted by: Brown Bottle (IP Logged)
Date: 15 July, 2017 09:51

Quote:
I remember what chaos it was last time we had this fixture clash.

So do I. Bloody nightmare!

BB

Posted by: Scaramouche (IP Logged)
Date: 15 July, 2017 10:41

Why dont you just use your ButlerCopter?

Posted by: blucherquin (IP Logged)
Date: 15 July, 2017 10:54

Just move to twickenham and walk

Posted by: Quinten Poulsen (IP Logged)
Date: 15 July, 2017 11:33

So quite a few of the local boozers will close at 7pm. That may prove a tad annoying if we've just beaten Exe by one point in a nail biter to determine which of us finishes 1st or 2nd sad smiley

Posted by: Scaramouche (IP Logged)
Date: 15 July, 2017 12:31

How late do the bars at the Stoop remain open?

Posted by: Harleys Evil Step Mum (IP Logged)
Date: 15 July, 2017 14:02

Blimey!! I'm not gonna stress about a possible issue next MAY!!!

Posted by: TeddingtonQuin (IP Logged)
Date: 15 July, 2017 15:52

Quote:
Fearless Fred
I remember what chaos it was last time we had this fixture clash.

I thought it was quite good fun - we had a great evening with some of the squaddies in the Turks Head afterwards (Sm42)

West Stand, Block FD, Row S
@JT075 #COYQ

Date: 15 July, 2017 20:10

Quote:
Harleys Evil Step Mum
Blimey!! I'm not gonna stress about a possible issue next MAY!!!

Bizarre isn't it - I'd suggest finding a hobby in the summer other than logging in here every 3 seconds

Posted by: Quinky Kin (IP Logged)
Date: 16 July, 2017 09:19

Quote:
Fearless Fred
No doubt South West trains will arrange to have some sort of Engineering works interfering with the trains. This is not going to be a pleasant day!

For me this is the most frustrating part. Poor planning? No, it happens too often. Not giving a damn about rugby fans? More likely. I'm sure it doesn't happen around football games.

Date: 16 July, 2017 12:20

Quote:
Quinky Kin
Quote:
Fearless Fred
No doubt South West trains will arrange to have some sort of Engineering works interfering with the trains. This is not going to be a pleasant day!

For me this is the most frustrating part. Poor planning? No, it happens too often. Not giving a damn about rugby fans? More likely. I'm sure it doesn't happen around football games.

Or they do it at weekends because the trains are much quieter than during the week when it would cause massive disruption to millions of commuters.

But you're probably right, south west trains hate rugby fans.

Posted by: Fearless Fred (IP Logged)
Date: 16 July, 2017 14:44

I remember the line between Reading & Twickenham being closed between Staines & Feltham on an England International day a few years back. That's one of the main train routes for fans coming from anywhere along the M40/M4/M3/A3 corridor. It may not be a hatred of rugby fans, just a complete lack of regard for the travelling public on the days when major events happen.

For those asking why I've raised this issue now, I offer these thoughts:
* Not every Quins fan lives five minutes walk away from the Stoop. A lot of us travel some distance to support the team at home games. Spending hours on trains packed out with Squaddies/Squids who are nissed as pewts at 11am in the morning is not fun.
* I enjoy Home games as a day out. The chance at a weekend to have a decent pub lunch, have a few beers then wander round to The Stoop before the game to meet up with friends, watch the game, then head home, etc. When the Army/Navy game rolls into town, the centre of TW is basically useless for other punters. You may as well completely forget a "day out". Instead, you've got the game & that's it.
*Trying to get home after the game if it clashes is even worse than trying to get away after an International game. You have an extra 15k fans above what you have on an England match day. It normally takes me about 2&1/2 hours to get home after a normal Quins day. That stretched to over 4 hours the last time we had this clash of fixtures. Do *you* enjoy being squashed onto a platform at TW station for an hour & a half before you them get packed into a train like sardines for an hour on the way to, say, Reading, with lots of folks who have had more alcohol in a matter of hours than a normal person would have in a fortnight? Trust me, the "joy" of wading through the vomit trying to get out of the train is no fun.
* Raising this issue with the Club and PRL now at least gives them time to look into what is feasible in terms of juggling the fixtures around.If we left it until Next Feb when the final day fixtures were set in the schedule, it would be too late for any alternatives to be sorted out.

So, call me a killjoy if you want, but I have horrible memories of what happened last time, and I don't want to see them repeated again this season.

Date: 17 July, 2017 10:15

Quote:
blucherquin
Quote:
Quinky Kin
Quote:
Fearless Fred

Or they do it at weekends because the trains are much quieter than during the week when it would cause massive disruption to millions of commuters.

Which explains why they also do it around football games. Or do they? Not that I've ever noticed. But hey, feel free to make a snide comment.

By the way, how many "millions of commuters" travel into and out of Twickenham each day?

Posted by: Dave L (IP Logged)
Date: 17 July, 2017 10:32

Quote:
Quinky Kin
Quote:
blucherquin
Quote:
Quinky Kin
Quote:
Fearless Fred

Which explains why they also do it around football games. Or do they? Not that I've ever noticed. But hey, feel free to make a snide comment.

By the way, how many "millions of commuters" travel into and out of Twickenham each day?

To be fair, I had years as a West Ham season ticket holder and lost count of the amount of times the District Line was suspended for Engineering works with only the Hammersmith and City to use to get to Upton Park tube. Plus the Jubilee Line which any supporter south of the river used was out on an regular basis for a couple of years in the late 2000s. That was catering for 35,000 people per event. I'm told by friends that still have Season Tickets that there have been numerous instances of issues with Stratford trains since the move, particularly those using the lines into Essex with 57,000 per event so it's not just rugby that gets the treatment.

Date: 17 July, 2017 20:02

Quote:
Quinky Kin
Quote:
blucherquin
Quote:
Quinky Kin
Quote:
Fearless Fred

They don't just shut Twickenham when the works are on. And if you're travelling into London to do anything or a Saturday or Sunday on any line run by South West Trains it affects you - so they equally hate people shopping, going to work at the weekend, going to football matches, take your pick.

My comment wasn't snide, it was a direct challenge to your ludicrous statement.

Date: 17 July, 2017 21:50

Quote:
blucherquin
Quote:
Quinky Kin
Quote:
blucherquin
Quote:
Quinky Kin
Quote:
Fearless Fred

They don't just shut Twickenham when the works are on. And if you're travelling into London to do anything or a Saturday or Sunday on any line run by South West Trains it affects you - so they equally hate people shopping, going to work at the weekend, going to football matches, take your pick.

Oh dear. Somebody's tired.

Date: 17 July, 2017 22:35

Quote:
Quinky Kin
Quote:
blucherquin
Quote:
Quinky Kin
Quote:
blucherquin
Quote:
Quinky Kin
Quote:
Fearless Fred

No mate I'm fine. How's thinking a rail company hates a particular group of sports fans working out for you? I'd be having sleepless nights.....

Date: 17 July, 2017 23:18

Quote:
blucherquin
Quote:
Quinky Kin
Quote:
blucherquin
Quote:
Quinky Kin
Quote:
blucherquin
Quote:
Quinky Kin
Quote:
Fearless Fred

No mate I'm fine. How's thinking a rail company hates a particular group of sports fans working out for you? I'd be having sleepless nights.....

Allow me to correct you on two points: it's you who has brought some imagined hatred into this - my own feeling is that it's a scant disregard (although I acknowledge I could be wrong there, it could be all sports fans, or just passengers in general); anyway, I'm sure you're happier with your perceived venom. Secondly - and of this I'm certain - we've never met... but even if we had, you'd be a very, very long way from being what I would consider a "mate".

Make sure someone turns the lights out for you. It's way past your bedtime. I'd suggest getting earlier nights, but I suppose it's not term time so you can always lie in.

Posted by: raedarius (IP Logged)
Date: 17 July, 2017 23:49

In the absence of rugby, other arguments are available...

Date: 18 July, 2017 08:20

Quote:
Quinky Kin
Quote:
blucherquin
Quote:
Quinky Kin
Quote:
blucherquin
Quote:
Quinky Kin
Quote:
blucherquin
Quote:
Quinky Kin
Quote:
Fearless Fred

Allow me to correct you on two points: it's you who has brought some imagined hatred into this - my own feeling is that it's a scant disregard (although I acknowledge I could be wrong there, it could be all sports fans, or just passengers in general); anyway, I'm sure you're happier with your perceived venom. Secondly - and of this I'm certain - we've never met... but even if we had, you'd be a very, very long way from being what I would consider a "mate".

Make sure someone turns the lights out for you. It's way past your bedtime. I'd suggest getting earlier nights, but I suppose it's not term time so you can always lie in.

At least we've finally agreed that you don't really believe a train company is singling out a particular sport.

I'll agree they don't seem to like passengers much. But me and the other half a million people every day who have to endure their services to commute would rather they shut at weekends rather than during the week.

You can "feel" what you like (it's popular in the place of reason or facts these day), but the "reason" it's at the weekend is because it's better for more people than during the week.

And I think we'd have warm showers.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 18/07/2017 08:21 by blucherquin.

Current Page: 1 of 3
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net