Current Page: 5 of 6
Re: JK Out
Posted by: MrOther (IP Logged)
Date: 04 October, 2017 07:37

Quote:
GP2110
... I just feel that there is a mass push for women's sport - not just rugby. In the last 2-3 years, every media outlet is mass reporting women's sport - not because it has a big following but for other reasons. Quins have now started announcing the women's score 3 or 4 times during the last home game. Whilst that is fine, I think it would be fair to say that media coverage for women's rugby, for example, far exceeds the number of fans / followers.

Isn't it the positive discrimination debate?

Posted by: Fearless Fred (IP Logged)
Date: 04 October, 2017 08:17

Quote:
Cookie
Quote:
Fearless Fred
They don't have a full section on the website (as yet) but they do have a Facebook page. Personally, I'd like the club to set up a proper subsection on the quins.co.uk site for the womens' team, with a fixture list, news, and player profiles.

Agreed. At the moment the Fixture List is a cluttered mess - we have 6 consecutive home games listed in October! Has the webmaster not heard of dropdown menus or filters??!!

You can filter the fixtures/results list at the top of the page:

https://image.ibb.co/dRt4Ow/Screen_Shot_2017_10_04_at_08_28_23.png

Posted by: Cookie (IP Logged)
Date: 04 October, 2017 08:21

Ooops! Although might help if it was fixed when scrolling down as it's obviously easy to miss!

Posted by: Scaramouche (IP Logged)
Date: 04 October, 2017 10:59

I cannot understand the objection to promoting womens sport. Is this not a good thing?

Illegitimi non carborundum

Posted by: T-Bone (IP Logged)
Date: 04 October, 2017 11:06

Quote:
GP2110
very happy to discuss it - no reason to think otherwise. It was a fairly pleasant exchange.
My query was - at club level - is there any benefit to clubs in having women's teams or is it something that is a financial burden (I made a comparison to football where some teams have decided that the commitment is unjustifiable). I appreciate international games may have a larger fan base - not to mention RFU funding. The exchanges were helpful in understanding how funding may work for the women's game in a club context.

Similarly, I was not bleating - I just feel that there is a mass push for women's sport - not just rugby. In the last 2-3 years, every media outlet is mass reporting women's sport - not because it has a big following but for other reasons. Quins have now started announcing the women's score 3 or 4 times during the last home game. Whilst that is fine, I think it would be fair to say that media coverage for women's rugby, for example, far exceeds the number of fans / followers.

Tend to agree with this. I guess they'd argue you have to push it a disproportionate amount at first and then when the interest levels increase you can probably ease off a bit.

Not sure what is unreasonable in saying that you assume the international viewing figures exceed the club ones. I would make the same assumption, though no idea if I'd be right or wrong

Posted by: GP2110 (IP Logged)
Date: 04 October, 2017 11:17

Quote:
Scaramouche
I cannot understand the objection to promoting womens sport. Is this not a good thing?

I certainly don't think it's a bad thing. It's a balancing exercise. On the one hand, a disproportionate level of media attention is an attempt to increase interest levels.

On the other hand, one could argue that the reason there is less interest is because the sport just isn't that popular. Having spoken to a number of women that love men's rugby, very nearly all of them (i) have no interest in playing rugby; and (ii) have no interest in watching women's rugby.

I think there is a real desire now for media / news outlets / sports programmes to be seen to be promoting women's sport, but only time will tell if that actually results in numbers increasing so that investment levels actually become worthwhile and sustainable.

For me, as a 20 year Quins fan, I would much rather all available resources be spent on improving the men's team, which I love. If, however, there is no financial downside to the club in having and promoting a women's team as well, then it's hard to sensibly argue against that.

Posted by: Scaramouche (IP Logged)
Date: 04 October, 2017 11:28

Its the chicken and the egg thing isn't it? Do you wait until you have a financially viable succesful sport before you start paying it any attention or do you give publicity to something that helps it grow?

The Media dont tend to give air time or column inches to stuff that people just don't want to read or hear.

Illegitimi non carborundum

Posted by: HonkyTonk (IP Logged)
Date: 05 October, 2017 17:14

[www.bbc.co.uk]

Tyrrells Premier 15s: France captain Gaelle Mignot's move to Richmond Ladies marks 'new era'

By Sara Orchard
BBC Sport
6 hours ago From the sectionRugby Union
Share this page
Gaelle Mignot
Mignot (right) has won five French titles and a European title with Montpellier
The captain of France moving to join Richmond Ladies could be viewed as a watershed moment in women's rugby union in England.

Hooker Gaelle Mignot's arrival confirmed that the newly-formed Premier 15s' ambition is to become the best top-flight women's rugby union competition in the world.

With international women's rugby in France regularly attracting audience figures in the millions, Richmond are having to host the French press at a training session this month as they strive to find out why their 30-year-old poster girl has moved across the channel.

Mignot's signature was secured through a relationship between Richmond and Montpellier, and head coach David Mobbs-Smith thinks the new league is ground-breaking.

Bristol Ladies and Gloucester-Hartpury Women's RFC prepare for Premier 15s
Women's Anglo-French tournament under consideration
Women's Super Rugby clubs confirmed
Premier 15s fixtures and results
"The new Tyrrells Premier 15s is a whole new ball game in women's rugby and a very attractive and challenging environment that the best players in the world including England's Red Roses want to be involved in," he said.

Upon joining the nine-time English Champions the French captain said: "I am thrilled to join a club with such a rich history as Richmond. I am equally proud to be participating in the new era of women's rugby."

Gaelle Mignot factfile
Position: Hooker Honours: Led France to Women's Six Nations Grand Slam 2014, five French titles with Montpellier
Mobbs-Smith cannot claim all the credit for the 69-times capped hooker's arrival, with his assistant coach Alain van West, a fluent French speaker, heavily involved in the negotiation.

He believes the new 10-team amateur league has come at a good time for the sport: "The new league is outstanding.

"It's well supported by the RFU and the new sponsors. There is a tidal wave of interest in women's sport in general and hopefully rugby grabs this opportunity.

"All the players in the league, very similar to Richmond, are now on professional strength and conditioning programmes, supported by medical and professional coaching."

The RFU's decision to withdraw full-time XVs contracts for England's women earlier this year caused upset as high as government.

The national governing body promised it would be re-investing 2.4m to revamp top-flight domestic women's rugby in England and with the new league it hopes to deliver.

However, its creation has not been without its critics, with former women's powerhouse Lichfield denied a place in the new competition.

The new movement of players also appears to be benefitting London's clubs to the detriment of others, including former Premiership champions Worcester, who have so far suffered heavy losses as big names, including England's most capped player Rochelle Clark, move away.

Leading Premier 15s signings
Wasps: Coach Giselle Mather proved to be the savviest recruiter, securing the signatures of England internationals Rochelle Clark (Worcester), Danielle Waterman (Bristol), Harriet Millar-Mills (Lichfield), Amy Cockayne (Lichfield) and Justine Lucas (Lichfield).
Richmond Ladies: David Mobbs-Smith persuading France captain Gaelle Mignot to move across the Channel was the signing of the league.
Saracens: The north London outfit secured the services of England flanker Marlie Packer from Bristol.
High-profile player movement is a relatively new arena for women's rugby. Whilst in the past the English league has often provided a home to travelling Canadians and Kiwis, it was often due to circumstance than the standard of the league.

It was no coincidence that the whole Harlequins Ladies coaching staff were frequent visitors to last summer's Women's Rugby World Cup, in Ireland, as they scouted for untapped international talent.

The RFU's new chief executive Steve Brown spoke of an "explosion of interest and participation" in women's rugby as he gave his first press conference in September. He also expressed hopes that England will "lead the way here in the game globally".

After England finished second to New Zealand at the World Cup, the strategy of building strength in the game below international level is already beginning to attract the world's best.

With no transfer window, more foreign imports could continue to arrive in the Premier 15s and once again the pressure will be on other unions across the world to follow England's lead to avoid a talent drain.

Posted by: PeterboroughQuin (IP Logged)
Date: 06 October, 2017 08:58

I dont watch any womens football or rugby. I wish them all well though.

Posted by: DOK (IP Logged)
Date: 06 October, 2017 11:08

For me it's like when I watch Richmond or Rosslyn Park. I don't expect the same quality in the play, but that's part of what makes it attractively different. When both defences haven't been drilled for weeks on end, then attackers can break through. They can show running skills that might be otherwise stifled. It's a different game, once you get your head round that it's still fun to watch.

Posted by: Quinky Kin (IP Logged)
Date: 06 October, 2017 15:02

Going back to the OP...Tonight's result may well determine whether this subject gets a new lease of life, or whether it's shelved until our next defeat...

Posted by: DOK (IP Logged)
Date: 06 October, 2017 15:05

Well, it'll give ol' COYQ_2017 an excuse to find a new persona!

Posted by: blucherquin (IP Logged)
Date: 06 October, 2017 15:13

Quote:
DOK
Well, it'll give ol' COYQ_2017 an excuse to find a new persona!

Trump or Kim Jong Un would be less provocative if hes taking suggestions

Posted by: Nigel_B (IP Logged)
Date: 06 October, 2017 15:48

I'm seriously worried about JK continuing as DOR. Connor's announcement mid-season in 2015/16 was a huge mistake to make, perhaps it was made on the back of Italy not being able to keep quiet but it had a very negative effect on the team. I believe the CEO is making every effort to get the club into an operating profit, however, replacing COS with an internal promotion might have saved money but it has not improved the team results. There are very many great players in the squad but something is not gelling.

When Mark Evans took off down under in 2004, JK was appointed DOR and we were relegated. Fortunately we were able to secure Deano and JK was demoted back to Coach. IMHO JK just hasn't got the charisma, mentality, vision to be a DOR, he's a good No 2. We do need to get a top DOR in place ASAP, otherwise I can see this season slipping away with poor performances in Europe and finishing 10/11 in the premiership. With this squad that would be truly criminal.

Posted by: Quinten Poulsen (IP Logged)
Date: 06 October, 2017 16:49

Quote:
There are very many great players in the squad but something is not gelling.

The ability to avoid injuries?

Your second paragraph is partly wrong and partly facile speculation.

Posted by: MrOther (IP Logged)
Date: 06 October, 2017 17:49

Quote:
stalwart 5
Quote:
stalwart 4
Quote:
stalwart 3
Quote:
stalwart 2
Quote:
stalwart 1
Quote:
Nigel_B
I'm seriously worried about JK continuing as DOR ...
%6*X@
&\!!X+}
FK##!
:"V&*5
@=*4!

It's not a popular opinion around here, Nige, but I agree with you.

Date: 06 October, 2017 18:53

Quote:
Nigel_B
I'm seriously worried about JK continuing as DOR. Connor's announcement...

The biggest issue with JK remaining is that it means we have constant "JK out" posts.

By the way, our DOR was Conor.

Date: 06 October, 2017 21:52

JK in?

Posted by: Rocker (IP Logged)
Date: 06 October, 2017 21:51

Do the hokey cokey and turn about

Posted by: PeterboroughQuin (IP Logged)
Date: 06 October, 2017 22:04

I think we should stop blaming JK. When the players perform we are awesome. We should be winning every game with the players we have.

Current Page: 5 of 6
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net