Current Page: 2 of 4
Re: Team during call-ups..now..
Posted by: JJQuin (IP Logged)
Date: 05 October, 2017 09:30

Based on Eddie's comments at the Quinssa evening, Robbo and Danny nailed on starters - Marland got some stick for his hands in particular but he clearly fits the mould for one type of winger Eddies wants. Clifford got no mention but is clearly on form so who knows? These are not the toughest set of Autumn internationals so maybe time to blood a few new players even if the others come back in for 6 nations.

Posted by: Quinky Kin (IP Logged)
Date: 05 October, 2017 09:42

Quote:
Harleys Evil Step Mum
Care, Robshaw, Yarde will all be free for us....realistically I think their International careers are effectively over.....younger guns from now on!!

So many times we've heard that Robshaw either isn't good enough, or there's a new claimant for the shirt, or some other reason for his international career being over. But you never hear it from the person selecting the team. Makes you wonder if they know better?

For my money, Robshaw would be the first name on any teamsheet.

Posted by: Harleys Evil Step Mum (IP Logged)
Date: 05 October, 2017 10:25

Surely EJ HAS to have RWC2019 in mind......Autumn Internationals 17/Six Nations 18 and Autumn Internationals 18 must be the perfect platform to get the younger guns in????? I LOVE our Quins boys.....but there must be better out there???????

Posted by: GP2110 (IP Logged)
Date: 05 October, 2017 10:29

Why do they need to get younger guns in? The current set up has had huge success under EJ. If the players are likely to be available in 2019, then there is no need to chance for the sake of it. There is currently a nice mix of experience with younger players (e..g Itoje, George etc). Very rarely to "young" teams win world cups. You need experience in major tournaments and under EJ there has been nice progress. I would be shocked if Robshaw and Care are not in the 23 - Robshaw is a certain starter.

Date: 05 October, 2017 11:06

Quote:
Harleys Evil Step Mum
Surely EJ HAS to have RWC2019 in mind......Autumn Internationals 17/Six Nations 18 and Autumn Internationals 18 must be the perfect platform to get the younger guns in????? I LOVE our Quins boys.....but there must be better out there???????

Better than Robshaw? I may be biased, but I still think he's the best flanker in the Northern hemisphere. Not flashy, but huge workrate and amazing skillset.

Posted by: Scaramouche (IP Logged)
Date: 05 October, 2017 11:18

Quote:
Quinky Kin
Quote:
Harleys Evil Step Mum

Better than Robshaw? I may be biased, but I still think he's the best flanker in the Northern hemisphere. Not flashy, but huge workrate and amazing skillset.

Thats you, me and EJ that agree then.

Was it Jonno that said you have to always play the best side available to you at that time?

I believe RWC winning sides have several hundred caps between them generally. Surely you play the man who is fit, in form, best in his position and definitely going to be around in Japan...?

Illegitimi non carborundum

Posted by: blucherquin (IP Logged)
Date: 05 October, 2017 11:32

Quote:
Scaramouche
Quote:
Quinky Kin
Quote:
Harleys Evil Step Mum

Was it Jonno that said you have to always play the best side available to you at that time?

I believe RWC winning sides have several hundred caps between them generally. Surely you play the man who is fit, in form, best in his position and definitely going to be around in Japan...?

I think EJ has shown he wants a bit more than that - he wants people thinking their going to lose their places to new talent and won't be afraid of dropping them. Which I think is great - and we need more at Quins.

You have got to consider ages at the time of Japan -- and where "new" players will be given two years development. Smith in two years with the size and muscle of a 20 year old not a teenager could well be a starter for example....let's see.

Date: 05 October, 2017 12:07

Quote:
blucherquin
Quote:
Scaramouche
Quote:
Quinky Kin
Quote:
Harleys Evil Step Mum

I think EJ has shown he wants a bit more than that - he wants people thinking their going to lose their places to new talent and won't be afraid of dropping them. Which I think is great - and we need more at Quins.

You have got to consider ages at the time of Japan -- and where "new" players will be given two years development. Smith in two years with the size and muscle of a 20 year old not a teenager could well be a starter for example....let's see.

Smith needs to get past Farrell and Ford at least, but I don't doubt he has the ability and potential, and definitely the confidence.

Robshaw - I think he's beyond the thought of being dropped. The guy just keeps on at a standard that most players could only ever dream of, and it never seems to dip. Generally you can count his errors for a season on one hand. And yet he still seems like (as you say) he's playing to win the shirt rather than keep it.

Date: 05 October, 2017 12:41

Yes its not often someone gets to be England Captain due to their humility.

Posted by: MrOther (IP Logged)
Date: 05 October, 2017 19:37

According to the Guardian (final paragraph of this article about Jack Clifford):

"Gatland is able to pick four wildcard players based outside Wales ... With ... Taulupe Faletau, Liam Williams, George North, Jamie Roberts and Rhys Priestland all at Premiership clubs"

Good chance then that we still have Jamie Roberts during the autumn internationals.

Posted by: Barnetsarrie12 (IP Logged)
Date: 06 October, 2017 09:53

I think Robshaw is a starter for now, in two years who knows, no reason why he can't be. I guess everything depends on the composition of the backrow and how Borthwick/Eddie wants it. Borthwick wants a proper line out jumper in the back row and if underhill becomes the 7, with Billy and Robbo, that's a very short backrow, i won't be shocked if Lawes was tried in the back row this autumn and in the six nations as he has been playing very well there and to me alongside slade, probably player of the season so far and he has been playing predominately at 6

Posted by: Boonie (IP Logged)
Date: 06 October, 2017 10:16

For Robshaw, it is a question of keeping injury free I think. As long as he says injury free, there is no reason he can't carry on, and carry on doing that Richard Hill style of quiet understated work in the engine room - the kind you only notice when it is not there. He took the knocks at the last RWC, listened to what EJ wanted, delivered in spades, and it is hard to see how he won't be in Japan. If you need experience and inspiration, Robshaw is the one.

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to bleat about it all over the internet"

Posted by: T-Bone (IP Logged)
Date: 06 October, 2017 10:18

Why do people think Robshaw would miss out due to lack of lineout options. He is a line out option, and a good one

Posted by: MrOther (IP Logged)
Date: 06 October, 2017 10:23

Quote:
T-Bone
Why do people think Robshaw would miss out due to lack of lineout options. He is a line out option, and a good one

Agree entirely.

Date: 06 October, 2017 11:22

Permanently under rated player. Except by people like EJ who actually know a thing or two.

Posted by: thomh (IP Logged)
Date: 06 October, 2017 11:28

Quote:
Scaramouche

Possibly, but he's not exactly the blueprint for a successful international coach.

Date: 06 October, 2017 11:56

Quote:
T-Bone

He is not the lineout option lawes is, part of it is because he is 5 inches shorter. That does not mean he won't start or play, just saying that is something Eddie Jones has talked about that Borthwick likes and Lawes played really well in the six nations at 6, even though he had the number 5 on his back and has started this season on fire. I think it depends on if Eddie wants him in the second row or back row as he has been to me, the best forward and probably player so far this season and he was great on the lions tour also.

Robshaw if injury free will be at the next world cup, he just might not be a starter at that point or might start some games and not some others depending on the composition of the opposition back row. To me the only players i see as starters in the next Wc are Itoje, Faz, Billy, Youngs and Dan Cole. I don't think anyone else is a guaranteed starter at this point.

Posted by: RodneyRegis (IP Logged)
Date: 06 October, 2017 12:20

Yes, no, yes, no, no.

Date: 06 October, 2017 12:36

You don't think Faz is a nailed on starter Rodney. I think him, Billy and maro are the first names on the team sheet. No way Faz does not start at the next world cup. The only question is whether it is at 10 or 12.

Posted by: Brown Bottle (IP Logged)
Date: 06 October, 2017 12:46

Surely Dan Cole will be in his forties by the next world cup?

BB

Current Page: 2 of 4
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net