Russia get World Cup Place
Posted by: BlueCap (IP Logged)
Date: 15 May, 2018 20:35

Spain, Romania and Portugal all deducted points for ineligible players.

[www.bbc.co.uk]

Re: Russia get World Cup Place
Posted by: talkshowhost86 (IP Logged)
Date: 15 May, 2018 21:20

Farcical.

International rugby really has a problem with eligibility issues. As some have said in the Marchant thread, it'll soon be more like a transfer system than where you were born.

And as for how the lower RFUs are run, it seems to be a perpetual mess outside the top 10 or so.

Posted by: CPB62 (IP Logged)
Date: 16 May, 2018 12:16

But why were they allowed to play so many games, surely world rugby should do checks once team sheets are received after the game, its shabby all round

Posted by: Boonie (IP Logged)
Date: 16 May, 2018 14:49

Or did the Russians hack the team sheets afterwards? winking smiley

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to bleat about it all over the internet"

Posted by: Banstead Quin (IP Logged)
Date: 17 May, 2018 13:50

That’s just great isn’t it. Hello Spain, we want you to be a part of out big, friendly, cuddly family and to show our love, we’ll give you two European finals and invest heavily in your grass roots because it’s so important to us that you feel wanted.

Oh and by the way, you can’t go to the World Cup because we can’t be a***d to monitor you.

Classy!

Posted by: Yareet (IP Logged)
Date: 17 May, 2018 13:48

Quote:
Banstead Quin
That’s just great isn’t it. Hello Spain, we want you to be a part of out big, friendly, cuddly family and to show our love, we’ll give you two European finals and invest heavily in your grass roots because it’s so important to us that you feel wanted.
Oh and by the way, you can’t go to the World Cup because we can’t be a***d to monitor you.

Classy!

Youre blaming World Rugby for Spain cheating? As far as Im aware, nobody forced them to select ineligible players.

Posted by: Banstead Quin (IP Logged)
Date: 17 May, 2018 15:02

No Yareet, that’s not what I’m saying.

The teams and squads are picked in advance of games so plenty of time to monitor who is in said squads and pull them up first, especially when they’ve made a big song and dance about the inclusion and support for lesser nations who are still finding their way in the sport.

There’s a better way of dealing with it, is all I’m saying.

Date: 17 May, 2018 22:29

Quote:
Banstead Quin
No Yareet, that’s not what I’m saying.
The teams and squads are picked in advance of games so plenty of time to monitor who is in said squads and pull them up first, especially when they’ve made a big song and dance about the inclusion and support for lesser nations who are still finding their way in the sport.

There’s a better way of dealing with it, is all I’m saying.

Hang on. At level 10, were expected to know whether a player is eligible to play for us and were penalised if we make a mistake - with very little right to appeal. But youre telling me that a national team, with all the resources they have, needs to have its hand held?

Why exactly?

Posted by: godzilla73 (IP Logged)
Date: 18 May, 2018 08:09

I think the difference is that you're level 10 in this country, where issues around player eligibility are relatively well publicised even at a low level (cf the Medway RFC case from a few years back). For Spain, with a tiny club system and no significant grass roots support, eligibility will be much hazier, because the infrastructure of the game is not comparable.This is why, in my opinion, one might suggest that giving the Spanish a European final is less important than investing in their grass roots game.

Posted by: Scaramouche (IP Logged)
Date: 18 May, 2018 09:10

+1

If at first you don't succeed, Try, Try and Try again.

Date: 19 May, 2018 19:27

Quote:
godzilla73
I think the difference is that you're level 10 in this country, where issues around player eligibility are relatively well publicised even at a low level (cf the Medway RFC case from a few years back). For Spain, with a tiny club system and no significant grass roots support, eligibility will be much hazier, because the infrastructure of the game is not comparable.This is why, in my opinion, one might suggest that giving the Spanish a European final is less important than investing in their grass roots game.

Not sure how well publicised issues around intelligible players are. Despite playing club rugby for the past 10 years, I have no idea what the Medway case is. In fact I can only remember two cases recently where news made it beyond the guilty club - London Welsh and Staines playing under age front row.

Whatever the Spanish club system is, Id argue that their national team have more admin people than a level 10 club. Maybe you disagree.

Whatever our belief is however, the fact remains that if my club plays an intelligible player we are docked points but you seem to think that the same rules shouldnt apply to a national team.

Posted by: Brown Bottle (IP Logged)
Date: 19 May, 2018 23:41

I find it hard to believe there's a requirement for players to be intelligible, especially in the scrum at level 10. I think it would kill the game from the bottom up.

BB

Date: 20 May, 2018 06:46

Quote:
Brown Bottle
I find it hard to believe there's a requirement for players to be intelligible, especially in the scrum at level 10. I think it would kill the game from the bottom up.

Note to self. Dont post after a day of drinking 🤣

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net