Gloucester to pay for fans' new tattoos after logo switch
Posted by: akb1 (IP Logged)
Date: 16 May, 2018 10:49

not sure what to say here? Interesting, amusing, odd. if true?

[www.dailymail.co.uk]

Re: Gloucester to pay for fans' new tattoos after logo switch
Posted by: Samquin (IP Logged)
Date: 16 May, 2018 11:01

And what happens when they change the club logo again?

Posted by: Fearless Fred (IP Logged)
Date: 16 May, 2018 11:27

Anyone else think the new Gloucester logo is a not too subtle rip off of the Tigers one?

Posted by: Poking With Sticks (IP Logged)
Date: 16 May, 2018 11:31

Quote:
Samquin
And what happens when they change the club logo again?

Hopefully they'll change it a tattoo everyone has already like a panther bursting through the ace of spades in a hail of bullets to fight an eagle grasping a rose and everything's on fire...

Posted by: blucherquin (IP Logged)
Date: 16 May, 2018 12:14

This logo change thing is really annoying me - and I’m clearly not a Brizz or Gloucester fan.

What’s the lion got to do with the club or am I being thick?

Posted by: InsertQuinsPunHere (IP Logged)
Date: 16 May, 2018 12:30

Quote:
Fearless Fred
Anyone else think the new Gloucester logo is a not too subtle rip off of the Tigers one?

It's pretty much exactly the same. I'm surprised they have got away with it to be honest.

Quote:
blucherquin
This logo change thing is really annoying me - and I’m clearly not a Brizz or Gloucester fan.

Annoying me too...

RE: the lion, are the standing animals on the old crest lions rampant?

Date: 16 May, 2018 12:47

Quote:
InsertQuinsPunHere
Quote:
Fearless Fred

It's pretty much exactly the same. I'm surprised they have got away with it to be honest.

Quote:
blucherquin

Annoying me too...

RE: the lion, are the standing animals on the old crest lions rampant?

Yeah you’re right - they don’t look like them much on the most recent logo but if you look at the city of Gloucester coat of arms they are more clearly lions.

And they are indeed rampant.

Like Cips around female tv stars.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 16/05/2018 12:49 by blucherquin.

Posted by: T-Bone (IP Logged)
Date: 16 May, 2018 13:17

What was their crest pre-2007? Seems a pretty pointless change to me but then I don't understand marketing.

At least we're almost certainly never going to get the same treatment, though I think it's a shame they changed our jester a few years ago. New one isn't as nice.

Date: 16 May, 2018 13:27

Quote:
T-Bone
What was their crest pre-2007? Seems a pretty pointless change to me but then I don't understand marketing.
At least we're almost certainly never going to get the same treatment, though I think it's a shame they changed our jester a few years ago. New one isn't as nice.

It was the proper crest for city of Gloucester then they basically made it worse (in my view) by making it more “graphic designy”

[www.gloucestershirelive.co.uk]

Posted by: Brown Bottle (IP Logged)
Date: 16 May, 2018 13:31

Quote:
blucherquin
It was the proper crest for city of Gloucester then they basically made it worse (in my view) by making it more “graphic designy”

To be fair each logo change has made the tattoo quite a bit cheaper.

BB

Date: 16 May, 2018 14:10

Quote:
Brown Bottle
Quote:
blucherquin

To be fair each logo change has made the tattoo quite a bit cheaper.

Fair point. I think if you’ve got the original then you’re a brave man - and had a lot of time to go for tattoo appointments.

Posted by: Boonie (IP Logged)
Date: 16 May, 2018 14:25

Helen Roe, Head of Marketing & Communications:

"Gloucester Rugby needed to further evolve its brand to ensure the Club has the right tools for the future."

They have the right tools. They are all in the Marcomms department.

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to bleat about it all over the internet"

Posted by: Lebowski (IP Logged)
Date: 16 May, 2018 15:32

Gloucester changed its logo about 10 years ago. It had traditionally been the same as the city crest - which has lions on it and always has. The reason for the change was the club didn’t own the rights to the logo and as such was very restricted in what it could do with it commercially.

Although only a few years old the ‘new’ crest wasn’t in any way iconic or recognisable. Even club employees struggled to describe it accurately when asked!

I was one of a number of fans lucky enough to be invited to a media and sponsors reception yesterday at which the new logo, new website and new shirt were launched (and we fans were given a free replica shirt!) A lot of potential designs were looked at and there was extensive consultation among employees, fans etc. I am not sure there was any ten years ago! Every single aspect of the new logo - colours, shape of shield, lion etc reflect the traditional ‘emblems’ of the city. It does indeed look similar to Leicester’s - that was my first thought - but I really don’t care and the reaction among Glos fans so far has been overwhelmingly positive. That is quite something because we have an awful lot of grumpy old gits who struggle to embrace any kind of change! I suspect most clubs are the same.

Gloucester as a club has been treading water for too long. Perennial underachievers, sleeping giants etc etc. Time to be bold and shake things up a bit, but without forgetting our traditions. This rebranding is part of that, along with a new hybrid pitch (the existing one has already been ripped up) , a new (well newish) coaching team and some very significant signings.

The tattoo thing is not something that is going to affect many people and may well be a bit of a gimmick, but it is a small way of demonstrating these commercially driven changes don’t always mean the fans are forgotten about.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 16/05/2018 15:35 by Lebowski.

Posted by: Boonie (IP Logged)
Date: 16 May, 2018 16:36

Quote:
Lebowski
the reaction among Glos fans so far has been overwhelmingly positive

Did you read the Premiership Rugby post on Facebook? Not much positivity there. Admittedly, not all of them were Glos fans, but the majority who posted on FB either said it looked like Leicester's badge, or it looked like...erm...excrement.

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to bleat about it all over the internet"

Date: 16 May, 2018 17:39

He’s their pr - and I claim my fiver

Posted by: JimJam350 (IP Logged)
Date: 16 May, 2018 18:49

Quote:
blucherquin

I can't sleep at night for the worry.

Posted by: Harleys Evil Step Mum (IP Logged)
Date: 16 May, 2018 20:15

Have a look at the Gloucester message board, like a ghost town it is!!! smiling smiley

Posted by: Bedfordshire Boy (IP Logged)
Date: 16 May, 2018 20:57

Glaws fans all use Shedweb, nobody seems to use sportsnetwork.

Posted by: Lebowski (IP Logged)
Date: 17 May, 2018 08:34

Quote:
Harleys Evil Step Mum
Have a look at the Gloucester message board, like a ghost town it is!!! smiling smiley

As Bedfordshire Boy says, we don’t use rugbynetwork. Shedwbeb is unique among Premiership rugby forums in that it is a stand alone platform, but it’s not in any way exclusive. I think a lot of visitors are put off by having to register and also because a lot have this idea that Glos fans are all neanderthals who will be rude and abusive. The irony is there is virtually no abuse on Shedweb as it’s not tolerated the way it is on some of these boards. Visitors are made very welcome - we have regulars from Bath, Worcester, Leicester, SA etc but nobody from Quins. We also have a poet and a satire writer who are both quite brilliant! You should take a look. There is also lots of absolute nonesense spouted too of course!

I don’t look at fb because there are too many ignorant idiots. I know a lot of others who have given up with that particular platform too!

Date: 17 May, 2018 08:54

Without nonsense being spouted this board is nothing.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net